Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that 50% of the time, the rear hatch doesn't close all the way. I was told (either by a member here or by my Toyota dealer) to slam it, but after 2 months, I just don't like slamming it!

Does this happen to everyone?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yup, it's a bite in the shorts. Get to car, open hatch, take off sunshade, get in car, take off sunshade, boot up car, "door ajar" light on. Get out of car, open hatch (which FEELS shut), slam hatch, fear for life of spoiler, get back in car, drive home. Hrumph.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yeah, just "slam" it. Avoid using the spoiler. It doesn't feel very sturdy to me. I guess use the same amount of force as you would to close an SUV hatch or a minivan's hatch.

The hatch makes my Camry's bootlid feel like it's made of feathers. It's sooo light.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Mine closes OK, but does need a fairly heavy touch. Don't know if I'd call it a slam exactly... I do wish that the Smart Key sensor back there was as sensitive as it is on the front doors. I often try to use it so the passenger door will also unlock, but usually wind up opening the hatch back. Sigh.

Nothing is PERFECT.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I learned quickly to "slam" the hatch shut if I didn't want to see the open door sign. My husband, helping bring in groceries, didn't close it tightly enough and I didn't catch it for hours. Nice of him to help, but now I double check all the time. Hatch definitely needs extra force.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sanny said:
... it's a bite in the shorts.

GUULP ! :shock: ! a-hem

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
My spoiler rattles alot too when I close the hatch, but it needs some more adjustment from when I caught it against my garage door. However, it didn't seem solid even before I bent the mount. There are 3 or 4 screws holding it, plus some pin clips so it really shouldn't creak or rattle. I don't remember if the neoprene gasket butted firmly on the lower window or not. It certainly doesn't now.

As for unlocking doors versus opening the hatch, just press the hatch latch for less than half a second, and it should unlock but not open. If you hold the latch, it will unlock, then open.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you have to slam the rear hatch to get it closed, the latch inside the rear door sill needs adjustment. Take it back to the dealer and say "Fix It!"

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
neoprene gasket... you mean that spongy thing between the spoiler and the lower tinted window?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I occasionally have the problem of the hatch Smart Entry sensor not recognizing my gentle caress. To get the hatch to unlock and open, I sometimes have to open the driver's door and toggle lock/unlock, then try the hatch again, or just use the Fob.

It usually happens after I get home, turn the car off, get out, then go to retrieve something. It doesn't occur very often, or with enough reliability that I'd have any hope of reproducing it for the dealer mechanic. Guess it's one of those quirks I have to live with.

For that matter, sometimes the exterior door handle button doesn't lock the car. I have to open and re-close the door to get it to work. Again, prolly not often enough to be worth complaining about.

In both cases, might the computer be going through some sort of power-down cycle that I'm interrupting, so it's ignoring me? Should my feelings be hurt?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you are getting a long beep, door is a-jar, so twist it closed.

To unlock and open, press and hold the latch. If the fob is too close to the bumper however, it might not work.

·
Registered
508 Posts
DanMan32 said:
If you are getting a long beep, door is a-jar, so twist it closed.
Nope no beep. Nothin' at all.

DanMan32 said:
To unlock and open, press and hold the latch. If the fob is too close to the bumper however, it might not work.
Mebbe the fob in my pocket is the problem then. Why is that? It can be too close?

Well, that raises a whole 'nother concern. With the fob in my front pocket, am I exposing my junk to higher-than-necessary EMF's? Do I need to start wearing lead-lined boxers?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Thomme said:
...Well, that raises a whole 'nother concern. With the fob in my front pocket, am I exposing my junk to higher-than-necessary EMF's? Do I need to start wearing lead-lined boxers?
Sorry guys... I have to go here....

Maybe the smart key will reprogram the dumb key (euphemism)... :oops:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Dan,

then yes, the gasket is supposed to be tightly squished between the spoiler and the lower window

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Sanny said:
Thomme said:
...Well, that raises a whole 'nother concern. With the fob in my front pocket, am I exposing my junk to higher-than-necessary EMF's? Do I need to start wearing lead-lined boxers?
Sorry guys... I have to go here....

Maybe the smart key will reprogram the dumb key (euphemism)... :oops:
:shock: Then what happens when I walk up to the back of the car without the smart key? No... I'm with Thomme... I don't want to know. :shock:

Back to slamming... I do find I over-slam the hatch when the windows are open and it closes much more easily.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts