Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2004 , it having 18K already. i was very surprise with the amount of tire wear on it. I would appreciate very much for any recommendation on the new tires.

thanks

Ken

·
Registered
884 Posts
Tire Recommendations

In a nutshell: Michelin HydroEdge. Check out reviews on http://www.tirerack.com

Too bad all of the previous posts got hacked. This site is one of the few I visit regularly. In case I didn't mention it before, my thanks to all of the administrators and contributors who make this site a valuable Prius resource.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Gotta think there are alignment issues. I'm showing signs of wear at close to 20k, but no replacement type wear.

Also, I've heard the hype on the hydroedge tires...good reviews, but I already think the road noise is pretty bad and the hydroedge are notoriously noisy and I'm concerned about that. Hopefully someone will find a 'perfect' tire before I need to replace...if not I'll probably try either the comfortred or hydroedge.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
road noise

SPEAKING of road noise...

Are there any recommended tires for 05 Prius that are not so noisy? Ok, given that part of the noise issue is in the lack (?) of sound insulation and dampening in the car, which no tires will cure, anything out there?

I'm not ready to get rid of the OEMs yet - still brand new - but I'm interested in alternatives. I have read the handling comments on the hydroedge and a few others, but no one has really talked about noise.

Hmmm.... Inquiring minds, etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have 40,000 miles and my tires look like they will last another 20,000 miles. I do get them rotated every 5000 miles.

My brother just got Goodyear Comforttread (something like that) on his Corola. They have really reduced the road noise in his car. I am thinking about putting them on my Prius before next winter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you are in the snow belt consider Nokian WR's. They are the only all-season tires to merit Finland's ice/snow rating. I put them on the alloy rims and leave them on all year rather than having winter wheels and summer wheels. They are said to be LRR, have high wear rating, 55# max pressure and reasonably quiet and do not hydroplane. There is no change in rolling radius. I cannot speak of a MPG penalty as I put them on @ 700 mi.
http://nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=6

·
Registered
515 Posts
efusco said:
Also, I've heard the hype on the hydroedge tires...good reviews, but I already think the road noise is pretty bad and the hydroedge are notoriously noisy and I'm concerned about that.
I'm not, since pretty much all the Prius reports I've heard were from those running high PSI too... which is noisier than average anyway. We need a solid comparison from someone running at just 35/33 PSI.

My HydroEdges are at 44/42 PSI. The only time I get "bad" sound is when I'm driving on a highway with cement that's rutted or grooved. For all else, I don't even notice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have read a few posts that the Goodyear Comfort treds were very quiet and have good handling. When my tires wear out, that is what I am getting. I thought our tires were suppose to last about 50k miles.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
cnguyen said:
I have 2004 , it having 18K already. i was very surprise with the amount of tire wear on it. I would appreciate very much for any recommendation on the new tires.

thanks

Ken
I have an 04, 21k miles, & tires are in great shape.
I have them rotated every 5k mile oil change. (Included in pre-pay service pkg I bought at purchase which has turned out to be a good deal for me).

Suggest you talk to a Toyota Service Advisor about it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
john1701a said:
efusco said:
Also, I've heard the hype on the hydroedge tires...good reviews, but I already think the road noise is pretty bad and the hydroedge are notoriously noisy and I'm concerned about that.
I'm not, since pretty much all the Prius reports I've heard were from those running high PSI too... which is noisier than average anyway. We need a solid comparison from someone running at just 35/33 PSI.

My HydroEdges are at 44/42 PSI. The only time I get "bad" sound is when I'm driving on a highway with cement that's rutted or grooved. For all else, I don't even notice.
So the widely reported road whine is not something you're experiencing at normal city and highway speeds John? If not then I'm probably going for the Hydroedge for sure based upon your and others' recommendations, but I don't want more noise AND an MPG hit both.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No i did not rotate every 5K. but I known i driven very fast, my commute is 50 miles each way ( highway 101) and my average speed is 80 mph. I m guessing it worn out so fast due to high speed. and yes it getting noisier every day now. I will have it rotate this weekend hopefully i may get another 5-10K mile more.

thank you very much for your input

ken

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you go to Tire Rack's site you can compare all the tires for their performance in many categories, noise being one of the categories. The Yokahama tire is rated the quietest and came out #2 overall on tire performance.
I will be shopping for a quiet tire when it comes time to replace.

·
Registered
28 Posts
8) cnguyen,

I have had Goodyear ComforTred on my 04 Prius for approx. three months now. I have not noticed any noise increese and or decreese in gas mileage.

Ben (aka:removeum)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sometimes I think we are at the end of the earth....

efusco said:
Gotta think there are alignment issues. I'm showing signs of wear at close to 20k, but no replacement type wear.

Not necessarily, where I live we seldom get more than 11K on any tire. The North coast of CA has some pretty twisty roads with 4k elevation change. I have had about 6 different vehicles over the last 15 years and none have exceeded 12k on a set of tires. We keep them inflated to the max spec or they will scrub off the sides. Anyway the good note is my new baby as of 1/17/2005 prius seaside blue loves these roads, with the regeneration I get about 51 mpg with the twisty hilly roads. Much better than I get at the freeway speeds inland.

Just finished a 2200 mile trip to San Diego, CA, Sedona, AZ, and Las Vegas, NV, and averaged 45 mpg calculated. Not too bag with first 600 miles in headwind and then climb to the high desert at 7500 ft and mostly 75 mph as posted. I'm happy..... and I love that car.....

·
Read Only
51 Posts
After I had the Prius for a few months I decided to buy some HydroEdge tires. (This was back in May of last year.) I did this because of what I believed to be information from the manufacture, from comments on Tire Rack, from comments on PriusOnline.com and PriusChat.com. One of the items that was interesting to me was that the tire was supposed to be very quiet. In fact from the reports on Tire Rack it was much quieter than the Goodyear OEM tires that the Prius comes with. In addition, the ratings said they had long life and good handling in dry and wet. So I bought some expecting this to be true. I took them on a 170-mile trip. I had already taken the same trip with the OEM tires just before I got the HydroEdge. The trip consisted of different road surfaces, from smooth asphalt, gravel coated asphalt to concrete roads with various surface textures. I found that the HydroEdge tires were noisier than the OEM tires.

The Prius only has what I would call average road noise isolation. On smooth asphalt roads the car can be very quiet. On rough roads the tire noise can be quite pronounce. The difference was that the HydroEdge produced their own sound even on very smooth asphalt, whereas the OEM tires did not do that. It always felt like I was driving on a slightly rough road. I think it has to do with the tread design. This is why I got rid of them, not because I did not like the way they handled. They would probably live up to their claims of excellent wet weather tires and long wear. Southern California does not get that much rain, so I am not that concerned with the rain aspect of it. (Last month was an exception not the rule.)

The tests were done at normal recommended tire pressures (35/33 psi). When I put the OEM tires back on I was much happier, at least from the tire noise, point of view. It cost me some money since Michelin would not take them back and the tire dealer could not move the tire because of the odd size. It was “dead stock” to him. Michelin would have traded them for some Harmony tires, which according to the rep would have been a “better fit”, whatever that means. I was done experimenting so I got them to put the OEMs back on.

I now have almost 25000 miles on the OEMs, and they still don’t have much sign of any wear. They are rotated every 5000 miles. But, I also don’t race the car around corners or drive fast on winding roads. Most of my driving is on freeways. Driving on winding mountain roads, and going fast around corners can wear tires out quickly, I know I have done it in the past.

When the OEM tires wear out I will have to consider what to replace them with in earnest. In the mean time I am satisfied with them. You have to take the ratings in Tire Rack with a grain of salt. They are just the options of individuals that bought a particular set of tires. They might not have any experience with what is a “better” tire or “worse” tire. It’s all relative to what sort of experience they had previously. You have to read the comments to see whether their opinion has any relevance to your car. You cannot for example take a review for a tire for someone that states the tire worked great for the SUV and necessarily apply this to the Prius and expect to get the same results. It’s better to get the opinion for like size tires and cars.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Thanks for this type of post. It's "live and learn" out there." I would expect that Toyota would have done some testing of their own before settling on their choice for OEM in the past few years. However some people believe there has to be something better and thats what makes the world go round. You noticed in your mind a decided negative difference and since it cost you, have shared the experiance. It's appreciated!

·
Registered
49 Posts
14,000 Miles on Michelin Hydroedge

I just turned 14,000 miles on my Michelin Hydroedge tires.
So far they have been great. They are amazing in rain. They were in slush one day the whole winter and still stuck to the road. I don't deliberately drive Tideland Pearl in snow or ice as I have a 4x4 truck for bad weather. I keep the tire pressure at 43/41.
I agree with John's math. If there is a MPG difference it is no greater than 1.5 MPG. My real fuel economy standard deviation (1 sigma) is greater then 1.5 mpg, so it is hard to determine how much of that is the tires.

One day I will do some frequency analysis on the noise. I think they wine a little, but ears adapt to noises so they may in fact be much quieter than other tires. I would record the noise with a tape recorder or directly to a laptop with a good mic. I would record my car and a friends car with standard tires. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
For all of you who have switched from your OEM tires, what kind of milage difference are you seeing? Is the increase in rolling resistance noticable on your MPG at or no?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Tires get noisy as they age, and a new set of identical tires will be much quieter. So beware of direcet comparisons between worn out Brand X and new Brand Y. Older tires wear funny over time (even with rotation, but much more without), and the thinner tread transmits little bumps and noises.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts