Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all im doing a research project on the evolution of gasoline powered cars to electric/hybrid power cars and I need an interview with an actual Prius owner. Can anyone here spare a few moments to answer a few questions?

1. What car did you own before you purchased your Prius?
2. What was the mileage you got with your old vehicle?
3. What led you to purchasing a Prius?
4. How do you feel about Gasoline vs Hybrid/Electric vehicles?
5. In the next 10 years where do you think the market for automobiles will be at?
6. How much were you spending a week to get around with your old gasoline powered vehicle? Indicate tank size etc.
7. How much do you spend on gas with your new Prius a week?

If someone could spend a few minutes and answer all of these questions I would absolutly love you Smile Im getting very desperate, ive searched my town and found 3 or 4 prius owners that have neglected to speak to me because they were "busy" :

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Jeremiah

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
1. 1998 Saturn SL2, 2001 Saturn SL1 (still own both)

2. About 33 MPG highway measured over multiple tanks

3. Rising gas prices, and my long commute to work lead me to look for a more fuel efficient vehicle when my SL2 passed 150,000 miles. I read an article on the new Hybrid Synergy Drive in the 2004 Prius, and I was sold.

4. They are the first step in the right direction, both for the environment, and for energy conservation.

5. Hybrids and Hydrogen will be mainstream, and gasoline powered vehicles while still being used for special purposes, will be on their way out. 20 years out, it wouldn't surprise me if use of gasoline vehicles was restricted to commercial use only.

6. That really depends on the price of gas that week. My week is 800 miles of driving. 800/33 = 24.25 gallons, and with a 12 gallon tank that's 3 stops at the gas station per week

7. Again, that depends on the price of gas, and where I fill up. My lifetime average MPG is about 50 MPG highway measured over multiple tanks. 800/50 = 16.00 gallons, and with the same 12 (ok 11.5) gallon tank, I only have to fill up twice per week.

So, over-all I'm looking at roughly a 1/3 reduction in fuel costs. I've had the car since mid August, and I've probably saved about $150-$175 so far.

·
Registered
425 Posts
sixty9sublime said:
5. In the next 10 years where do you think the market for automobiles will be at?
6. How much were you spending a week to get around with your old gasoline powered vehicle? Indicate tank size etc.

Jeremiah
1.Toyota MR2 Roadster & Hyundai Santa Fe
2. circa 8ltr/100Km & 13Ltrs/100Km
3. Lots of things, fuel price was a major thing, as was the requirment to cary a load from time to time.
4. Petrol engins are time limited. Electric/hybrids are a temporary solution. Hydrogen (fuel cells) is still not a viable option.
5. little change to today. (Unless oil runs dry)
6. Circa EURO 70/week.
7. Circa Euro 20/week

·
Registered
66 Posts
1. 1997 Plymouth Breeze

2. Average of 25 MPG over the last 34,000 miles.

3. Decreasing my personal contribution to America’s dependence on foreign oil while also reducing greenhouse and smog forming emissions. In addition, purchasing a Prius will help (albeit minor) to reshape the market demand for automobiles and hence the future direction of auto manufacturers R&D expenditures.

4. I believe that they are a step in the right direction to reduce emissions and an over dependence on foreign oil. In addition, Hybrids employ technology that will also need to be implemented and perfected for electric or hydrogen vehicles to succeed (I.E. more efficient battery technology, mass production of powerful electric motors, regenerative braking, etc).

5. Without major increases in oil (and hence gasoline) prices, I do not see that much will change in the market. However, with the strong possibility of crude oil shortages (from increased world demand and even more unstable political situations in major oil producing regions), the auto market may be unprepared to face a rapidly changing demand.

6. Average of $20.50 / week.

7. Around $10 / week over the last 6,000 miles

·
Registered
130 Posts
Since the past administrations haven't helped the US auto industry do it (pressure) I purcahsed my first Japanese car as a protest. If even 50% of the vehicles on the road today were hybrid we could thumb our nose at the middle east, instead of going to war with it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
1) 1994 Taurus LX

2) 22 MPG

3) I was very frustrated with 20th Century technology.

4) Having driven over 83,000 miles with 2 Prius, it is blatantly obvious that "full" hybrid technology will become an extremely popular choice.

5) Most new passenger vehicles will be hybrids. The will rely more on electricity then too.

6) N/A (Gas was roughly $1.25 per gallon back then, and I have since moved.)

7) N/A (Gas prices are far too volatile now to compute an average that isn't misleading.)

8) The importance of smog-related EMISSION reduction has been overlooked. It should be added to the questions asked.

·
Registered
261 Posts
1. 2000 Ford Explorer (V6) Limited
2. 16 MPG
3. because of #2
4. I think that much of the general public still lacks basic knowledge of the existence of hybrids, much less how they work.
5. I believe sales of hybrids will accelerate, particularly when we start seeing the hybrid Accords, and then the Camrys, more small SUV's, etc.
6. $12. I fill it up once a week, regardless of tank size.
7. $4

·
Registered
10 Posts
1. 1988 Audi 5000 Quattro CS
2. City: 22, Highway: 28
3. Hybrid technology, SULEV rating, stop giving money to the middle east
4. Truthfully, I wish Toyota or someone would offer a Turbo-(bio)diesel Hybrid. Right now I see little justification for ICE only vehicles, especially when used primarily for commuting.
5. Hybrids will be a "norm" and hopefully fuel cell or other alternatively powered vehicles will be available for early adopters.
6. Not a fai question since gas was much cheaper! How about looking at it this way. Audi: 20 gallon gas tank and I used 8 - 10 gallons per week, Prius: 11.5 gallon tank and I use ~ 4 - 5 gallons per week.
7. Right now? About $10, but gas is ~$2.35/gallon right now.

By the way, the above is for a 2002 Prius with ~47,000 miles. 8)

·
Registered
19 Posts
1. 1985 Mercedes 300D, those things are tanks!

2. 25/30 mpg thats pretty damn good for an 85

3. 300,000 miles on the odometer, thats what.

4. pure electric vehicles are a waste of money in most casts because most electricity is still produced with fossil fuels, theres not as much difference between gas and hybrid cars as you might think, hybrids simply are able to reclaim more power from the gas than a combustion engine alone would be able to.

5. I think we will be seeing just as many SUVs and trucks on the road as now, but more will be introducing more efficent engines (ie. hybrids) because of the rising cause of fossil fuels, hybrid engines can be powerful and efficent, look at the Honda Dual Note concept for example.

6. 30 miles a day 5 days a week plus weekend driving at about 25 a gallon it wasnt so bad about a tank a week 18 gallons at 2 bucks a gallon so bout $36 a week.

7. honestly I cant tell you, I havent filled it up since i bought it last week, and im on about a little more than half a tank.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
1. 1999 Hyundai Accent and 1994 Ford Explorer (still have both,)

2. The Hyundai got 30-35, the Ford got 12-15.

3. I bought the Prius because we needed a new car. We chose it partly for 'tech/geek factor', partly for the environmental greenness, and partly for safety.

4. I think 'old fashioned' gasoline cars are bad. Before I had a family, I rode a bicycle almost exclusively (when reasonably possible.) I think hybrids are a good compromise, and think fuel cell, electric can't come soon enough. (I dislike gasoline both for environmental, and for political reasons.)

5. In 10 years, I assume that the majority of cars will still be conventional gasoline. A large percentage will be hybrid, and there will be a few fuel cell cars out there. (My guess is maybe as many fuel cell cars on the road as there are hybrids now, clustered on the coasts, where infrastructure will have been built.)

The caveat is that I think 'fleet' vehicles (most notably city busses) will go 'alternative fuel' more rapidly than the rest of the cars (this has already started.) As nice as the Prius is, converting semi trucks and city busses to hybrids would save SIGNIFICANTLY more gas, and cut pollution much more drastically than even replacing half of all mid-size sedans on the road with Prii.

6. Before, my Hyundai went through its 12 gallon tank every week (so about $20 a week,) and the Ford (which was driven less) maybe $20 a week as well (20 gallon tank, but dismal mileage.)

7. Now, the Prius is driven 'in place of' the Hyundai, and I can go a week and a half or two weeks between fills, so probably $10-15 a week, and the Hyundai now uses maybe a tank every three weeks, for $6-8 a week of gas. We still have the Ford, but now it's a 'utility' vehicle, for hauling stuff around and camping. (I think I've only filled the Ford's tank once since buying the Prius in July.)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Questions

#1 2001 Chevy Cavaler
#2 31 MPG
#3 High MPG combined with a MID-SIZED car
#4 They are the wave of the future
#5 High MPG % will go way up. Gas guzzlers % way down!
#6 Chevy has 13 gal tank cost me about $68.00 per week
#7 Prius cost me about $42.00 per week. (I drive about 1,000 miles / wk)

Jim Biggs

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
sixty9sublime said:

Jeremiah
My situation is very much like Meglish.
1. I had a '99 Saturn SL2, had 107K on it.
2. About 33-35 MPG, depending on AC use.
3. Was going to wait a couple of years until the Saturn was paid off and an '04 would be avail used, but it was totalled when it was rear-ended. Wanted to save gas on my commutes. Now I love the technology of it, including the accessories.
4. Hybrids are the way to go, saving at every possible place: stops, braking, boosting low end torque. It is a good base (esp. the Prius) for alternative fuels, as was shown by a PBS documentary.
5. Hopefully people won't be buying SUVs for the sake of having one, but only if they really need one.
6. Much like Meglish.
Logbook says: 6/7-7/1 travelled 2453 miles, so about 613.25 miles a week. Used 78.75 gallons during that time, so about 19 gal/week.
Agv fillup was about 10 gallons.
7. Logbook says: 9/8-10/7 travelled 2583 miles so about 645 miles/week. Used 48.67 gallons so about 12 gallons/week.
I fill up just under every week at about $20/week.

·
Registered
111 Posts
. What car did you own before you purchased your Prius?

1. 1990 Volvo turbo wagon
2. 17-19 mpg
3. Full page ad in Smithsonian touting the SULEV designation
4. Sold my beloved wagon to get one.
5. Hybrid/gas or hybrid/diesel only. Bush is dreaming if he thinks hydrogen will be ready in 10.
6. old car - $15.00/week (don't remember the tank size)
7. Prius - about $6.00/week
If I only use the Prius for work commute, I can go 6 weeks/600 miles on a tank.(in the warm weather) cold weather and AC weather less than that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
4 door 1998 Chevy Blazer

16 on a good tank

Gas is never going to be less than $2.00 a gallon. I have friends in the service in Iraq, and I don't want to fund terrorism. I can't be criticle unless I am doing my share.

Gasoline automobiles have been around for over 100 years. Hybrids are a viable alternitive. Ther eis no better design yet.

there will be a lot more Hybrid options available.

Up to $35.00 a tank a week

The most I have spent yet on one tank is $26.00 and the tank lasted 2 weeks.

No Problem!

·
Registered
71 Posts
sixty9sublime said:
Hey all im doing a research project on the evolution of gasoline powered cars to electric/hybrid power cars and I need an interview with an actual Prius owner. Can anyone here spare a few moments to answer a few questions?

If someone could spend a few minutes and answer all of these questions I would absolutly love you Smile Im getting very desperate, ive searched my town and found 3 or 4 prius owners that have neglected to speak to me because they were "busy" :

Jeremiah
1. 1996 Mercedes SL320
2. 17 mpg
3. the mpg and the feeling I'm doing something to stop oil importation, end the collusion between US auto makers and oil companies, and support those political causes near and dear to me
4. we'll all be driving hybrids soon (or something even better)
5. just answered that question
6. $17.00 (had a 19 gallon tank)
7. have only had it 3 weeks. Can't say yet, but I'd guess $7.00

·
Registered
149 Posts

1989 Nissan Pathfinder

15 MPG

Renting one. Wow, it was so cool! The technology, the way it drove smooth and the 50 MPG.

Hybrids are an evolution of gas-only. Hybrids will be the norm in 2 years. Gas-only will phase out...verrry slowly.

SUVs will be no more. Hybrids (with Toyota technology) will be 80% of all vehicles. I see hybrids becoming affordable for the masses.

15 gallon tank, 15 MPG, about 120 miles per week, $2 per gallon = about $16 per week.

10 gallon tank, 50 MPG, 120 miles per week, $2 per gallon = about $3 per week.

Enjoy! And if your story/report/paper can be shared, I bet we all would like to read the finished product. Love my Prius!

·
Registered
370 Posts
sixty9sublime said:

Jeremiah

1. 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe.

2. 17-18 MPG on Premium fuel.

3. Love the idea of consuming and polluting less. I also think that the Prius gives you the most "bang for your buck" as far as features goes.

4. I think Hybrids are the future. The sooner we wean ourselves off foreign oil, the better. Anyone who goes out and buys a "regular" car today is either ignorant or just doesn't give a damn.

5. We'll see a lot more "commuter class" vehicles. Car will start getting smaller again (remember the '70's). Today's SUVs will represent the over-indulgent and arrogant America of the past (I.E. Bush, Iraq War, Religious zealots, Corporate Crime, Ahnold, etc.).

6. 20 Gal. tank, filled up once a week (with premium). Adjusted for today's prices: $55

7. 12 Gal. tank filled up once per week (with regular) whether it needs it or not. About $25.

DGStan

·
Registered
5 Posts
sixty9sublime said:

Jeremiah
1. The Prius is my first car.

2. N/A

3. I had a friend who bought one of the 2002 models. I was absolutely stunned by the car and amazed and how green it was! Previously, I was phobic of being behind the wheel. The desire to have one of these high-tech, environmentally friendly, and practical cars drove me towards getting my license and actually purchasing a new car.

4. I think Hybrid vehicles are the only sane choice these days. There are far too many things that give them the edge over conventional gasoline vehicles. I think the culture of excess has lead the average family to believe that two kids means SUV. I feel very strongly that ALL vehicles that don't do better than 20 miles to the gallon should be fined and that all cars with puffs of smoke coming out of their tailpipes should be impounded. There should be greater government support for people in financial dire straits to upgrade their vehicles, and there should be greater benefits for getting one. The push has to come from somewhere. If the culture of excess says "SUV" then the culture of conservation is going to have to make a bigger splash.

5. In the next ten years, I can only hope that the desire for big gas pigs has passed and that there will be far more hybrids on the road, emitting less, using less fossil fuel, and generally providing transportation with a smaller ecological footprint. Then again, I think you can tell I'm an idealist.

6. N/A

7. I don't know... I have only had my car for one week and haven't needed to refuel.

--Moon

·
Registered
74 Posts
1. 2000 Toyota Sienna
2. 21 mpg
3. Liked the car, comfortable, convenient and quiet
4. If I wanted high mileage, I'd have bought one of those 50 mpg beer cans on wheels.
5. Lots of hybrids and alternative fuel vehicles
6. About $30.00 per week - I drive a lot on the job usually my '87 4Runner with 15-gal tank
7. Around $12.00 a week. Most of my miles are business and I use a credit card. Really noticed the drop in gas bills :)

2005 Milennium silver/ option 6

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
sixty9sublime said:
1. 1986 Mercury Topaz. I still have it. It is my beater car and my winter driver when it gets really mucky out.

2. I was lucky to get 19 or 20 in town. I would probably get about 25 on the highway.

3. I'm kind of a techie. I enjoy technology and things which are high tech. I have avoided purchasing consumer electronics that are "high tech" such as iPods or other small devices because their utility is limited to a specific task at hand. And I just couldn't justify the cost. However the Prius is high with a purpose. Higher efficiency, fewer emissions, better driving experience.

4. I have no issue with regular gasoline cars. I'm not an environmentalist and as such I believe that people should buy what they want to afford and what will provide them the most utility. If you are a contractor and need the utility of a pickup then by all means you should drive one. I do not need that utility right now in my life and as such I'm happy with a passenger car that is hybrid.

5. I think the next 10 years are going to be amazing. The domestics are going to get on board with hybrids because they don't have a choice, but also because there are performance benefits to be had. Anyone who is familiar with large electric motors used in industry for powering commercial refrigeration or other high torque, high horsepower applications knows of the tremendous amounts of torque that electric motors produce. If we take hybrid technology and apply it to hauling vehicles, such as pickups, there would not only be an economy improvement for these vehicles, but also a towing and hauling performance boost that no gasoline technology can match.

6 & 7. I was probably spending $20 a week to get around, so my fuel bill when I got it at the end of the month was about $80. I have at least halved that by driving a Prius.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts