Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The San Diego Union Tribune ran a cool info article this morning called Crude Numbers in their Quest section. It lists interesting fuel facts that will reinforce the need to conserve and to recycle. I am sure that there is probably an online connection but I am not savvy enough to get it.

Here is a little sample:
* It takes 98 tons of prehistoric plant material to make one gallon of gas.
* Almost 300 million barrels of oil could be saved each year by raisingUS auto-efficiency standards by 2.75 mpg.
* If the tires of all cars on US roads were properly inflated it would save an estimated 2 billion gallons of gas each year.
*It took 125 years to consume the first trillion barrels of oil. It is estimated that the next trillion will be used up in just 30 years
I especially liked this one :wink:
*A 175 pound man can be converted (via thermal depolymerization, a process that uses pressure and heat to reduce complex organic materials)into 38 pounds of oil and 7 pounds of gas plus minerals and water.

·
Registered
3 Posts
salsawonder said:
*A 175 pound man can be converted (via thermal depolymerization, a process that uses pressure and heat to reduce complex organic materials)into 38 pounds of oil and 7 pounds of gas plus minerals and water.
SOILENT FUEL IS PEEEEOOOOOPLEEE!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Wynder said:
salsawonder said:
SOILENT FUEL IS PEEEEOOOOOPLEEE!
Yes, but how much energy does it take to make the conversion? Now we are back to the problem of making ethanol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
salsawonder said:
The San Diego Union Tribune

Here is a little sample:
* It takes 98 tons of prehistoric plant material to make one gallon of gas.
<snip>
The SDUT is not known for their responsible journalism.

I'm a little confused on the math, 98 tons of prehistoric biomatter to make 1 gallon of gas, but only 175 lbs of current biomatter to make a bit over 1 gallon of gas. Efficiency is WAY up, must be the Prius connection.........

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's either the difference between pre-historic and "advanced" material or the amount of time use to reconfigure the molecules......... Course you DO have to wonder how someone came up with the idea of using a 175# man???? The Prius forums are not the only place for geeks (meant in a loving way!) to bounce around ideas.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts