Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Omaha World-Herald June 22nd

Fuel misers frustrate tax man

As their reward for conserving fuel and buying smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles, Nebraskans will pay another penny per gallon to fill up in the second half of 2006. The State Department of Revenue said Wednesday that state motor fuel taxes will rise to 27.1 cents per gallon starting July 1.

Gas tax money is earmarked for state and local road projects. "the gas tax is the only means Nebraska has of funding road construction," Sanderford said.

More Nebraskans are buying smaller fuel-efficient vehicles which cost less than trucks and SUV's so they are paying less in sales tax. Motorists are also conserving fuel, so revenue from fuel taxes has not reached projections.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I don't like that news. However some investigation will show that most states funnel off monies from their fuel taxes to support many other spending projects and other non-pavement related items which are not directly related to the fuel we put in our tanks or the roads that we drive on.

Washington State has one of the highest gas taxes in the nation and a very significant amount of our gas tax doesn't end up in roads. Makes me very hot under the collar. :evil:

·
Registered
581 Posts
This reminds me of California's tax increase on cigarettes that was used to fund health care for uninsured indigent children.

Soo, when I quit smoking 5 years ago, am I the cause of some children not getting medicine?

·
Registered
991 Posts
wstander said:
This reminds me of California's tax increase on cigarettes that was used to fund health care for uninsured indigent children.

Soo, when I quit smoking 5 years ago, am I the cause of some children not getting medicine?
Yes. :lol:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Fordman789 said:
Gas tax money is earmarked for state and local road projects. "the gas tax is the only means Nebraska has of funding road construction," Sanderford said.

Another question is: Do the planners spend based upon need and THEN find a way to finance, or do they just apply an estimated percentage increase and then scramble to make up the deficit?

Most states are prohibited by their constitutions from incurring deficit spending, so I surmise that their 'projections' of needed income usually far outweigh the real needs. Then they spend unwisely to justify the tax increase...

·
Registered
319 Posts
I guess they look at vehicle registrations to know that it's more-efficient cars, rather than inefficient cars being driven less.

Maybe they can arrainge some SUV club get-togethers and hope for the best?...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny that most of the vehicles I see in Nebraska are 4X4's and SUV's. Could it be that the high price of gas is why people are driving less and buying less gas? Raising the price even more isn't going to help. Why not blame Exxon-Mobil and their $100 Million+ per day profits instead of the few people who are buying fuel-efficient cars like the Prius? Right, like that will happen.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Exactly, Fordman. Don't blame the oil companies. They contribute too much money to election campaigns and provide too many sweet junkets for our fine, upstanding politicians. Instead, stick it to the people who are struggling with increasing prices and trying to do something about our dependence on foreign oil. After all, once they fill their gas tanks, they have no money for funding junkets or contributing to political campaigns.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In Bolivia they nationalized the oil industry, the government owns the oil companies. In America, the oil companies own the government.

·
Registered
420 Posts
hyperion said:
You know, we now have "term limits." It's called not casting a vote for any incumbant. Don't keep sending these guys back to Washington.
I agree. About a dozen years ago, I was very amused - a bitter sort of amusement - when the citizens of Colorado Springs, at the same election, voted overwhelmingly in favor of term limits for state legislators AND overwhelmingly re-elected the mayor for a fifth term.

·
Registered
134 Posts
coloradospringsprius said:
hyperion said:
You know, we now have "term limits." It's called not casting a vote for any incumbant. Don't keep sending these guys back to Washington.
I agree. About a dozen years ago, I was very amused - a bitter sort of amusement - when the citizens of Colorado Springs, at the same election, voted overwhelmingly in favor of term limits for state legislators AND overwhelmingly re-elected the mayor for a fifth term.
voters are stupid, and all elections are local. i'm willing to bet right now that the same guys who raised the gas tax in Nebraska will be overwhelmingly re-elected. That's just how things are. With voting districts drawn up to protect incumbants, even being convicted and in jail is no assurance that the incombant won't get re-elected again. :roll:

·
Registered
257 Posts
How about a mandatory minimum use of 15,000 miles per year? When you renew your registration you have the odometer reading certified by a "Mileage Check" station. There would be a nominal fee plus a "certificate charge" for this. Then, if you have not driven 15,000 miles since the last renewal, the difference is divided by 25 mpg. The result would then be multiplied by the gas tax rate and a bill mailed to you.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'd like to see the good legislators of Nebraska decide that rather than punishing people who are saving gas, eliminating pollution and taking a step to wean us off foreign oil, they will tax the gas guzzling SUVs, large pickups, etc. Those vehicles are the ones causing the damage. Let them pick up the tab.

·
Registered
581 Posts
janets98 said:
I'd like to see the good legislators of Nebraska decide that rather than punishing people who are saving gas, eliminating pollution and taking a step to wean us off foreign oil, they will tax the gas guzzling SUVs, large pickups, etc. Those vehicles are the ones causing the damage. Let them pick up the tab.
Well, don't they already pay gas tax and also a license fee based upon vehicle weight/value?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.