Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to owning my Prius 2004, I owned a Mercedes Benz with a built-in GPS-based navigation system. I like the touch-screen of the Prius very much, but I can't stand the user-interface design that assumes that I or my passenger cannot enter data while driving. It's absurd!

One really very useful feature of the MB navigation system was being able to dynamically change destinations while driving (as is often the case when our purpose for driving is being determined dynamically by my wife :) ).

It is really quite frustrating to not be able to do much with the navigation system, or the telephone console, without having to stop the car. What a shame.

Has anyone figured out how to disable the speed-based input cutout on the navigation and/or phone user interfaces?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Start Here:
http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=999

Since I wrote that we've clearly found better ways to do this and can even make it occur automatically as well as defeating the speed sensor wire for the Bluetooth phone manually or automatically. The automatic disables require that you build a circuit. Have tried to convince Coastal Dave to build and sell these, but to this point he hasn't had time or interest.

Read this entire thread before you start anything:

http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Clearly accessing the wires behind the vent cover to the right of the MFD is the easiest access, give you access to both the BT and NAV wires, and places the button(s) (if you use one or two) in a more accessible location.

With a couple of wire taps, a drill, and a wire cutter/crimper you could do the job installing two switches in a matter of a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Fire Elemental said:
Oh great, just what we need. More distracted drivers.
Um, what about having a passenger do it? Sometimes it would be nice if the passenger could use it. Heck, most often when I'm on a long trip (somewhere I'd be likely to use a map,) I am with a passenger that is doing the navigating. I know this happens with my notebook computer as it is. When my wife is driving, I do navigating on my notebook. (Cellular internet connection + GPS.)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Fire Elemental said:
Oh great, just what we need. More distracted drivers.
And having the prius in front of you (rapidly) slow down to 5 mph so the driver can find the nearest seafood restaurant is a better ideal?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts