Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel free to add other Nav system questions to this topic!
My questions:
1. Is there a way to delete previous destinations?
2. How many previous destinations will the Nav store before it overwrites old ones, and does it overwrite the first or last one?
I checked the Lexus tutorial and John's prius owner's guide, but didn't find the answers.
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I think both are answered in the Nav manual, which I do not have handy right now, but my recollections are:
1) Um, can't remember at all
2) FIFO (first in, first out)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
1. yes.

2. I think it is 50.

Oh, wait, you didn't only want to know if it can be deleted, but HOW, didn't you? Speak up man! JK.

NAV setup. Option there about deleting previous destinations (page 3 of the 4 pages of setup options I think).
You can delete individual ones, or all of them.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:idea: Here's a great resource for learning about the Prius NAV system:

http://www.lexus.com/models/es/interior.html#dvd

This link takes you to an online DVD for the Lexus NAV system which is identical to the Prius system with the exception of some of the "buttons." Save the link and you can return from time to time to learn more or refresh what you learned earlier.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Navigation system

First, let me say that I LOVE this feature, being navigationally-challenged. Which, in L.A., is a hindrance to getting...anywhere.

Second, on my first use of the system (after the previous owner ran me through a 2-minute crash course), it led me straight to my destination, a place I'd never been before in a neighboring city. "Great!" I thought. (I figured I could get home unaided and, of course, got lost, but that wasn't the system's fault.)

Then I tried to go from L.A. to the San Diego Convention Center. This trip is so easy, even I can do it from memory: 405S to 5S, exit at Front Street, take Front to the Convention Center. But when I tried to take The Control Voice's directions, it immediately had me exit the 405 freeway. "Screw that," says I, and I turned it off. On the 5 freeway, I tried again. Again, the Voice suggested that I get off the freeway. "You're nuts," I replied, and turned it off again.

Attended the convention, drove around S.D. a little, decided to head home and figured the Voice would take me to the 5. Instead, it had me following a twisty-turny route through the city, during which I actually drove OVER the 5.

Then it dawned on me: the previous owner had said he hated the freeways. Sure enough, he'd programmed the system to drive around all freeways, and it was trying to route me between L.A. and San Diego over surface streets, a route that would have baffled Lewis, Clark, and Sacajawea.

Once I de-programmed it, it performed flawlessly.

Third: The system is about as non-intuitive as an old DOS computer. Yes, you CAN delete destinations, but you'll go through several menus and have to hold your mouth just right to do it. Consult the manual, which I would do for you but it's in my car, in the garage, and I'm lazy.

Jan

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yeah, I love my NAV too.

Just don't ask it to find a Nordstrom for you, let alone a Nordstrom Rack. There's at least 10 Nordstroms around Southern California. The only one my NAV lady knows about is in San Francisco.

DGStan

·
Registered
425 Posts
Then it dawned on me: the previous owner had said he hated the freeways. Sure enough, he'd programmed the system to drive around all freeways, and it was trying to route me between L.A. and San Diego over surface streets, a route that would have baffled Lewis, Clark, and Sacajawea.
If you press memu (i think) you will find a users button. Delete the current user and re-create it. You can set up your personal preferences for the navi. Upto 3 users can be defined, all with their own profile, bluetooth phone, phone book calender ec. Check the navi handbook for details

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know any way to bypass the security settings on the Nav system? When travelling with my wife, or even myself, it's totallly inconvenient to stop the vehichle to input a destination, I would much rather do this while the car is moving, rather than having to be stopped or under 5mph to get anything done with the system. Any help?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
jr.neely said:
Does anyone know any way to bypass the security settings on the Nav system? When travelling with my wife, or even myself, it's totallly inconvenient to stop the vehichle to input a destination, I would much rather do this while the car is moving, rather than having to be stopped or under 5mph to get anything done with the system. Any help?
Push the menu button after you've done the "I Agree" button thing.
Push the "volume" soft key
Tap the top left corner of the display screen (where the little volume icon is) and then the bottom left corner of the screen (no button there--it's a hidden soft key). Repeat that twice.

A hidden menu with lots of buttons will come up. Press and hold the "Override" key until it beeps. Then hit the back buttons until you get to the Menu screen again and then you can use the NAV system.

** Do NOT mess with the other buttons on that hidden menu, in particular the one that says "Loading"--I'm not kidding.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Look on Page 44 of the Prius Nav System manual. "Deleting Destination"

·
Registered
150 Posts
efusco said:
Tap the top left corner of the display screen (where the little volume icon is) and then the bottom left corner of the screen (no button there--it's a hidden soft key). Repeat that twice.
Just repeat once, right?

Louie

·
Registered
457 Posts
Is there a way to get rid the "I Agree" thing.. permanently..?

* note: I recently got a ride in a friend's new $80K BMW625ci. It has the same "Ageement" before you can GPS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts