Toyota Prius Forum banner

Navigation system accuracy ?

8K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Bill Merchant 
I've bee using GPS systems for years. I usually find accuracy problems arise in two situations:

1) Not enough satellites connected (3 connections work, but not well).
2) Maps.

The worst case of (2) I found was on vacation in NM. The map seemed to be off by 100-200 feet. I kept passing turns before the GPS flagged them. It was a real nusiance.

Interestingly, my portable GPS was accurate enough to flag a speedometer error of almost 5 MPH on one of my cars. It was confirmed by one of those radar warning stations along one of the road.

Gary

None of the Maps online or on GPS can find my house correctly. This is probably because my street is in the shape of a J with me at the end of the hook. Instead of 17, I have to put 97 in for the house number (which doesn't even exist). If I use 17, it puts me near the beginning of the street (a couple of 100 yards off).

This error is common to every mapping program I've tried (mapquest, yahoo, MS Streets & Trips, Mapopolis, Garmin, etc.).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.