Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our Prius (2005, pkg 6) for 3 months now and have a reasonable understanding how most things work. Last night, when my wife switched to the map while I was driving (after doing the Nav-system override), we were surprised to see the map was white (i.e., daytime setting), mainly because every other time we have looked at the map at night, the color was inverse to the daytime setting (i.e., map was black-much easier on the eyes). While I continued driving, she went into "Map Color" under "Set-Up" (as described on p. 91-92 of the Nav System Owner's Manual), and touched each "color" (#'s 1-4) as well as "Normal" and "Default (pressing "OK" each time), yet every time she went back to the map, it was the same as before (i.e., white background; it's also frustrating that there's no mention of what the colors are for "Default", "Normal", or "1 thru 4"). We never made any changes to the Map Color before this happened. I have no problem bringing it into Toyota, but I'm thinking that it might be something simple that we overlooked. Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

tom
Chicago-area

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
You're in "Day Mode."

It's listed on page 153 of the 2004 US Prius Owner's manual, under the "Operation of Instruments and Controls: Multi-information Display," "Adjustment" section.

However, at least on my 2004 manual, it is not very clear, as they just lifted the info from a non-North American Prius owner's manual. In North America, we get a little dimmer wheel on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, which we can use to have the interior lights at full brightness, or dimmed to varying degrees, when the headlight switch is on. Outside of North America, pressing the MPH/kph button will switch the interior lights from full brightness to a set dimmed brightness (no choices in between).

So, what you need to do is turn on your headlights, and play with the dimmer wheel (full up stop, or lowered to a dim position, I can never remember which one), and press the "Display" button on the dash. When you see the softbutton for "Day Mode" appear next to the "Screen off" button at the top of the screen, press the "Day Mode" button to change it to the other setting.

(BTW: when I first read your subject line, I thought that maybe you had a Classic Prius with Navigation - it can be set to change the color of the screen display for each season, and that can confuse some new owners...)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You also have 2 sets of contrast/brightness, one for DAY mode one for NIGHT mode. The brightness control is separate from the backlight, which has 2 distinct settings, based on the dash illumination mode, and not the MFD mode.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts