Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new here and don't have a prius but i am still interested in looking at all the stuff so do with it.

I happened to find this link through google pics and found something interesting. http://www.plusaf.com/prius/prius.htm . its got a couple pics there (view 1, view 2) of a switch for a Navigation lockout override. I dont know if this is standard or it is a mod but i though u might wanna noe bout it. if anyone noes if it a mod or not please reply, i would like to know.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That is a Mod. I have performed that mod and the BlueTooth lockout-defeat also. They both come in handy.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Like Brian, I did both mods myself. It cost about $6 for the switches and about 2 hours to wire them in (I did EV at the same time). Depending on where you want to put them, it could take more/less time.

It comes in handy. It's not something I use daily, but when I have to, it's sure nice to have.

I do, however, use my EV switch several times a day.

DGStan

·
Registered
319 Posts
I thought it was very cool being able to do this mod with about the same. $6! 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nav override

Since I had the new Nav CD installed my Prius takes a long time (2-3minutes) to relocate itself after use of the override switch.
1) anybody else?
2)I remember there is a way to determine how many satellites the Nav is using at this moment, but forgot how to get there. Help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, geez that realli is cheap, eh!

i realised later that it was a mod when i was reading some other stuff.

so were did u get the mod from.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't know why it takes so long to relocate. I have been on a freeway one time and when I used the defeat, I turned it on too late and got off the second off ramp instead of the first, as it didn't have enough time to catch up from the short time it was off.
To get to the Diagnositcs screen, Press Disply. Then inside the screen box, on screen, press top left, bottom right, repeat, repeat, and it should let you in. Then to get out, hold down display till it shuts the screen off, then press it again to turn it back to regular Hybrid screen mode.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"I don't know why it takes so long to relocate."

This is evidence of the fact that the GPS is not often the main navigation input. Turns and distance (which you eliminate with use of the switch) are used for local dead-reckoning. GPS is used for periodic calibration to eliminate accumulated errors from the distance measurement (wheel rotation) sensor. It will take a while for the Nav system tio determine which is right, the dead-reckoning or the GPS, and by then you are accumulating further errors.

This is the advantage of Dave's more expensive solution-- I don't think it kills dead-reckoning even as it lets you set destinations on the fly.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I think what it does is slow the pulses down to fool the system into thinking you are driving under 5MPH, and only in certain screens.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Brian said:
That is a Mod. I have performed that mod and the BlueTooth lockout-defeat also. They both come in handy.
Does anybody know where I can find detailed instructions on performing both of these mods?

·
Registered
11 Posts
How to do it?

I reead on this site about a software "Overide" for the Nav system. It didn't work for me. Can someone give me an indication of how to do it? I used the following sequence - Menu/Volume/Upper Left, Lower Left, Upper Left, Lower Left/Overide. When I pushed "Overide" nothing happened so I pushed the back button. What am I missing.

Also, how do I get instructions to make the $6 I agree and EV mods?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
33 Posts
You need to hold the Override button for three seconds or so until it changes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just got an '07. Just to confirm, I can't override the Nav lockout while driving right? Anyone find a way around besides snipping wires?
Besides this lockout, still lovin' the '07!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts