Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have the Nav unit, do you keep it on all the time? If you do, can you split the screen, or can you only have one screen on at a time? I use a handheld gps in my car and I like to use it all the time, but I believe I would like to continuously monitor the power screen in the prius. Do you have to toggle between what you want to monitor? Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
581 Posts
I toggle between 'INFO' and 'MAP' using the right steering wheel buttons. I normally don't have NAV up, just when I am getting route guidance.

Oh, and I do use the NAV at night to lessen the bright cockpit screen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I toggle...unless I am trying to get somewhere where i do not know the exact street....but I use nav voice when I am going to a totally new place....

·
Registered
669 Posts
I toggle when I'm using Nav. With the steering wheel buttons the toggle is easy and I can only do two or three things at a time anyway.... :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Oh, I do that. Where and when I drive (0330-0400) is quite dark with little overhead road lighting (rural 2-lane), having any interior lighting is distracting.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In that case, uttering the magic phrase "screen off" might be just what you need. This turns the screen and backlight off altogether. I've found it useful when driving in the pitch black.

It's handily programmed to reactivate briefly with a black background to show overlays (eg when using steering-wheel audio controls) and warning messages.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I sometimes find the nav screen to be helpful when I am watching for a cross street in a poorly marked or not marked rural area. I am not using it to find a destination but watcing for the label of the cross street to come up on the mfd screen as I get close.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nav

I too did not spend enough time reading the Nav Manual. You have to learn to speak Prii to it or it tells you the "system does not recognise that command". I love to freak out my friends by talking to my car. I am thinking of doing a cheat sheet to the back of the sun visor until I learn the commands. Keeping it on all the time does not work for me as I like to keep an eye on the consumption screen

·
Registered
581 Posts
Re: Nav

salsawonder said:
I love to freak out my friends by talking to my car.

Heh, heh.

Normally my Bluetooth cellphone is housed in the console and I hardly use it outside of the handsfree mode.

A week or so ago, while my mechanic was backing the Prius out to service it, I removed the cellphone and I called my wife on the cell (from outside the car).

You guessed it: The Bluetooth 'saw' me 10 feet away and my wife was saying 'hello' through the speakers...

it was good for a laugh :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Blue tooth

The first time I realized how far the Bluetooth capability reached I freaked out myself. Cause I was in the house and the car was outside in the drive. You can really make your neighbors crazy!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts