Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Prius with the Navigation System. It is version 2.1 At what point does one get a new version. Minding these DVD are around $200.00.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Turbo. I'm told the CDs are like maps. When there are a lot of street or points of interest changes in your area then you will need a new one. I have some 10 year old automobile club maps that still do a fine job for me so I don't expect to be buying new CDs every year. Unless you're a frequent traveler in unfamiliar areas you should be able to do as I plan to do. :wink: (Whatshisname)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy or not to buy Nav DVD

I am think tha at a minimum a two year wait would be good for meaningful updates. Besides Toyota tries to slam you for $250.00 a disk.
Look around there are some on the internet that will discount!

·
Registered
311 Posts
What a ripoff! Toyota would go a long way toward fostering good customer relations if they distrbuted DVD upgrades at cost instead of trying to make DVD sales a significant profit item. Wouldn't DVD upgrades be a dandy incentive to bundle in with extended waranty. Buy the Toyota extended waranty and get free DVD upgrades, otherwise $200-$250 a pop. Map data on DVD just isn't THAT expensive. Is Toyota tryinig to gouge customers? Did they choose to use a DVD map data format that is readily available from third party competitors in the commercial GPS arena?

Pat

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
What I don't get is why they don't commercialize the DVD upgrades and send them out for free.

Imagine, they hit up popular nationwide chains of all kinds, add those names to the voice list. You want McDonalds, say "McDonalds" and up pop the 'Golden Arches' icons. You want Napa Auto Parts, say it and it's there. The businesses pay a fee for this 'advertising', that defrays the cost of producing the disks, and once per year we get a new free DVD in the mail that's packed with updates, a list of all the commercial vendors that we can specifically ask for and and all parties are happy.

Makes sense to me...which doesn't always mean it's a good idea.
--evan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Evan, I bow to your superior suggestion! Most thoughtful. Why not inject this more appropriate free enterprise capitalism into the equation. Toyota should pay you a "consulting" fee for the idea and implement it post haste, well, if there is anyone left in their employ that isn't being co-opted to help produce Prii. I read where they have shifted production at one of their facilities from another model to Prius and are running three shifts to try to "make lots of Prii before the long wait starts a serious defection rate.

Latest info from gen manager of my selected dealership is that: There are 3 or more orders with deposit for every Prius imported to US. Data from interdealer trades (computer system that assists dealers in trading cars to accomodate customers) indicates that about 90% of the Prii being sought are with package #9. Unfortunately package #9 is the package being shipped the least. This dealership "Hudiberg" in Oklahoma City, has two Prii with #6 that we could have but we are locked into #9 or nothing. No idea at all when we may get a #9. We are first on list as all ahead of us decided to "love the one in stock" rather than wait till they "stock the one they love."

Should this dealer ever get a #9 in any color but black we'll take it. If they got a black #9 that would not be a real happy event unless they could trade it to another dealer for a #9 in another color. The odds of getting two #9 packages soon are remote so we are hoping the first in will not be a #9.

No official word but the buzz at the dealerships is that the nav package can't be supplied fast enough. I was told that about 10% of the 4Runners went with Nav and about 1% or less of the Camry sales. So, maybe Toyota was caught with their Nav package supplies down when it looks like 90% of buyers (recently) want #9.

The Pioneers, previous Prius owners given a chance to get first dibs on an '04, were expected to respond at about a 10% rate but hit 80% and caught Toyota off guard.

Pat

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to work for a company that makes mapping software. We had a lot of problems with the quality of data and updates. The best alternative would probably be periodic (perhaps monthly) data updates covering detours, newly reported corrections and other changes. Changes could be downloaded from the Web for a fee (perhaps an annual $50 subscription). There are a lot of DVD burning computers around and for those who don't have the capability, disks could be sold by Toyota dealers or the company who produces the update data. $250 for an update disk is absolutely outrageous. The market simply won't support that kind of a rip-off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
nav cd updates

$250.00 an update, for initially obsolete software? hmmmmmmmmmm

i wonder if the software would be available in some file sharing forum, or bootlegger's inventory.

that is what usually happens when someone gauges users for necessary software.

they should charge a "reasonable" price, make a "reasonable" profit, or use it as a costumer loyalty/cultivation tool

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To let you all know that a company by the name of NavStar (not sure spelling is correct) make the the Nav system, DVD's for Toyota. Not sure who is stabbing who. I hope that at a retail price of $250.00 that no one buys one, hence something will give. Or better yet we out here in PC land do have DVD burners maybe we can make backups for our Prius family friends? Since we all do own the legal product "Navigation Product System" and let it not be forgotten that it cost $1500 as a factory option. Something I think that Toyota has gone the American car way in that you rake the customer over the coals and he will probably come back or have to deal with you because you are his captive customer. :!: :evil:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't see any problem with buying one of the updates each year. Now before the deafening chorus of BOOOS... Let me explain. I don't see any problem with buying PRECISELY ONE of those every year. Of course if they only sold one the first year, there would be a change in policy or lack of future support. The latter is not desirable unless there is a good alternative.

If there is a large enough customer base to amortize the production cost (and apparently package #9 is quite popular), someone else will get in the market. There is no magic in making a mapping database. There are several standards and various data protocols to choose from among but unless they went to a lot of effort with secure encryption algorythms and the like, then any number of outfits have the technology to produce a functional disk. Most any of the GPS manufacturers has access to the technology and the updated map data. Sanitized (unclassified) map data is available at nominal cost from the DMA (Defense Mapping Agency) and other sources. Like the man in a recent commercial said, "This isn't rocket surgery!"

Still, I think the best suggestion I have heard is from Doc Evan. Toyota or the DVD supplier could sell the right for a buisness (fast food, auto parts, gas stations, whatever is of interest to motorists ... One Eye Charlie's Rattlesnake Emporium and Gift Shop on Historic Route 66, to be listed in the data base so a user can locate the buisnesses convenient to his route) For a chain franchise this is quite practical. If you don't cough up your $xxx dollars per year to fast food corporate intergalactic headquarters then your store isn't on the new list.

Anyway, like the good doctor said, a paper based directory could accompany the DVD and list businesses by various categories along with contact info if appropriate and whatever other embelishments are appropriate. There should be enough advertising revenue to give the DVD producer a good profit and get them off of the back of the DVD user.

Pat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our best bet for a reasonable Nav DVD

Hope the popularity of Navigiation System in at least for me in Toyota keep up at a record pace for demand. That in itself should bring more vendor to make update and bring down the price even the price Toyota has to pay the the supplier.
So continued upward demand for Navigation System what we current owners like to see for lower priced updates. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
my nav cd version is 03.1

With DVD bruners being so cheap now adays we might want to consider making an image and putting it somewhere so everyone can get the most update. I have hear toyota will offer updates but have not seen one, nor a place to order it.

This will be fine as long as we have a place to host it and the DVD is not locked to a vehival ID number or anything.

Worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
TUW said:
my nav cd version is 03.1

With DVD bruners being so cheap now adays we might want to consider making an image and putting it somewhere so everyone can get the most update. I have hear toyota will offer updates but have not seen one, nor a place to order it.

This will be fine as long as we have a place to host it and the DVD is not locked to a vehival ID number or anything.

Worth a shot.
This is where you'll order your replacement, when it's available (which it is not yet): http://www.navtech.com/vehicle/driverfeedback_na.html

You most likely won't be able to copy the DVD b/c it's dual density or dual sided or something like that (dual sided I think), so that even if you managed to copy one side you can't fit two disks in the drive at once and it contains almost 2 full DVDs worth of data.
--evan

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
veggivet said:
Think I'll stick with package 7. If I get in a jam, I have no issues with stopping to ask for directions.
I could easily live without the actual NAV system, but it's been pretty dang handy, even locally, a couple times. But I sure like the bells and whistles you get along with the NAV--voice activation, bluetooth phone, etc. To me those are more important.
--evan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just started following the threads here ( new Prius owner as of 12/30/03 ).

Evan, great idea about the making the maps available. I only have two questions:
1.) If the DVD existed how do you use it to update the NAV system?
2.) ( Market research ) If the DVD was available, what would it be worth to users?

Enjoyed reading the posts! :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Mario_Pitt_PA said:
Just started following the threads here ( new Prius owner as of 12/30/03 ).
Congrats, fun isn't it!

1.) If the DVD existed how do you use it to update the NAV system?
If you take a look in your owners manual you'll see that the DVD control unit is under the driver's seat. The disk just pops out with the push of a button and is easily replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The local dealer has claimed that there are no new DVDs.

For three years the local dealer has claimed that there are no new DVDs out yet. I ask on a regular basis.

BTW, my wife and I call the NAV lady Prisilla. I think she likes the name.

Jacob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts