Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding parts of the manual for the Nav system very inadequate. Are there any explanatory sites, papers, books, or anything else that would help solve difficulties?
I hope someone will soon publish "Prius for Dummies"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that the Lexus site is very helpful at the start. I had no difficulty in putting in a destination when I started and the anonymous lady told me the way (it was only a couple of miles) quite well. But then I began to try to put addresses into Memory and my troubles began. I hit "menu", then "register". It tells me to enter an address. I do this but then the only options are "Back" "1" "List" and the off screen keys. The options on the screen do nothing and if I hit "Back" it takes me back to the "Enter address". So I'm going round in circles.
After trying this several times with no success I suddenly get a WARNING: THE TRANSMISSION P LOCK MECHANISM IS ABNORMAL. PARK YOUR CAR ON A FLAT SURFACE AND FULLY APPLY THE HAND-BRAKE.
But the car (with engine cold) is already parked on a very flat surface in my garage and the brake is properly applied! Then in a few seconds the screen goes blank. So I switch off, and then on again, but still get a blank screen. So I switch off again and come indoors feeling miserable.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Zanyman said:
After trying this several times with no success I suddenly get a WARNING: THE TRANSMISSION P LOCK MECHANISM IS ABNORMAL. PARK YOUR CAR ON A FLAT SURFACE AND FULLY APPLY THE HAND-BRAKE.
But the car (with engine cold) is already parked on a very flat surface in my garage and the brake is properly applied! Then in a few seconds the screen goes blank. So I switch off, and then on again, but still get a blank screen. So I switch off again and come indoors feeling miserable.
I have never heard of this happening! I'd take the car back to the dealer and get it checked out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"TRANSMISSION P LOCK MECHANISM IS ABNORMAL"

I had this occur to me today quite out of the blue. Symptoms included a multitude of dashboard warning lights, and the "P" button was flashing. It took quite a few attempted restarts before I could even see the message noted above on the MFD. And I needed to be somewhere NOW!

After calming down a bit, I attempted some Internet research where I found this topic, but no answers. When I did a Google search on "Prius abnormal park" I stumbled upon this link:

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11129

which seemed to be concerned about whether the Prius can catch a virus via its Bluetooth connection... WTF??? But I also found "an" answer of sorts: the auxiliary battery voltage could be too low to boot the computer. After attaching my battery charger according to the user-manual instructions for performing a jump start, I could start and was on my way. And once I got to my destination, I had no repeat problems.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a virus being able to get into the drivetrain ECUs via the bluetooth. It might be possible to affect the head unit or the display, though I think that is highly unlikely to be possible, but there are just too many steps/devices between the bluetooth system to the drivetrain ECUs. Not to mention that certain steps have to be taken before a reprogram will occur.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So could Zanyman's problem come about as a result of extended periods of learning to use the Nav system and draining the 12 volt battery?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Zanyman said:
I agree that the Lexus site is very helpful at the start. I had no difficulty in putting in a destination when I started and the anonymous lady told me the way (it was only a couple of miles) quite well. But then I began to try to put addresses into Memory and my troubles began. I hit "menu", then "register". It tells me to enter an address. I do this but then the only options are "Back" "1" "List" and the off screen keys. The options on the screen do nothing and if I hit "Back" it takes me back to the "Enter address". So I'm going round in circles.
By the way.. from that point of registering things into the "memory" you should choose "list" and it will give you a list of streets (albeit only 1).. you choose the street from there and then the rest *should* be self explanatory.. let me know if you need any help with it..

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) QUOTE: "I hope someone will soon publish "Prius for Dummies"

Actually, there is "another Owner's Manual" - try this link:

http://john1701a.com/

Go to: Prius Info - User Guide H

This is easier to read and in many ways better than the "official" Owner's Manual. In addition, John has a wealth of added information.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Stick with it! I felt the way you do when I first tried to program the NAV system...but if I can do it, anyone can!

You also might try taking a look at the NAV quick start card (mine was looped around the shift knob). I went straight to the manual, but -- in retrospect -- the card seems to provide a more direct 'step by step' approach.

The first time you get it to function, and it directs you someplace in a more efficient way than you're used to, it'll be all worthwhile!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I read somewhere on the web, and was told by a local stereo shop when i asked, that the guts of the Toyota factory NAV systems are the same as the Eclipse brand aftermarket NAV systems.

You might find some help by downloading an Eclipse users manual? I cannot confirm or deny the validity of this statement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts