Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem with the NAV system last night when I tried to input an address. I wanted to go to Florence MA. I typed in the address ( 18 Meadow St. ) and the city didn’t come up, so I tried to type in the city and I got as far as “Flor”. The NAV computer came up with Florence NJ, Florence PA and Florence Park NJ, but no Florence MA, no matter how I tried it just didn’t recognized Florence MA. I ended up zooming out the map and I kelp zooming in until I got the address I wanted, 18 Meadow St. Florence MA I set the destination and the system guided me there.
The computer had the address because when I mark the point it had Florence MA and the street so it wasn’t like it did have the information on file.
I'm just a little frustrated.

P.S. I did have the NAV disc update done last month

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You probably had the NAV set for the wrong zone. It was looking in NJ/PA, but you were farther north. Check your NAV manual on how to change zones. It's easy, but I forget how just now without sitting in front of it. Something on the menu screen, like 'change.'

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope.....I checked that. It's set for New England

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Another possibility is that your street may be misnamed, specifically, the "St. / Av. / Dr." part. I have found some errors such as these. If you have the "St." entered, and it thinks it's a "Dr." then it won't find the address, and will of course then not have YOUR city listed in the possible choices. try just giving the main name without the suffix, THEN try the city name. This has worked for me on occasion.

As you enter more information, the list of remaining potential locations is pruned. If you "overspecify" in the street name, then your city will have been pruned off the potential list thereafter in the process.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Sanny said:
You probably had the NAV set for the wrong zone. It was looking in NJ/PA, but you were farther north. Check your NAV manual on how to change zones. It's easy, but I forget how just now without sitting in front of it. Something on the menu screen, like 'change.'
typically after a navigation disc upgrade, you'll have to reset the search area. Page 20-21 of the 2004 Prius Navigation Owner's Manual.

Zone 8 is: CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VT
Zone 9 is: DC, DE, MD, NJ, PA, VA, WV

So, if your search was coming up with addresses in PA, and you are looking for a town in MA, you have the wrong search area set up.

(Of course, I'll note the time I went to visit a friend in Cataumet, MA. The 2004 Nav system (old DVD, haven't updated yet) claims that she's really in North Falmouth, MA (she's on the line)... Glad I sorta knew where I was going...)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The easiest way to get the answer to your question is to ask Navteq at

http://update.navteq.com/

or some variant of this.

You can report problems with the maps and they will correct the error for the next version. They are very nice people to deal with and actually have real live persons answering your emails.

·
Registered
209 Posts
NAV Inaccuracy

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but in the same vein as the NAV not being able to locate a town, I was driving today to Westchester (New York) via the Tappan Zee Bridge, and the directions were dead opposite wrong in a couple places. These roads are very confusing, and I do this route often enough to know I get lost every time I do it, so I was SO HAPPY to finally do it with the NAV - and then it gave directions that directly contradicted the signs. The exit was the one on the left, not the right, and the road signs were clearly labled. Going right would have put me totally off track. Coming home to NJ, Rt. 287 continued exactly straight to the Bridge, but the NAV told me to exit to some other road that clearly didn't go there at all. My husband, who knows these roads better, was in the car and helped navigate correctly, or I would have been off somewhere in CT completely lost.

And this is WITH the NAV update!!! Good to know I can contact the tech for the next version.

Susan
04 silver
23,000 miles
49.8 this tank so far.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've also run into one case where the street name commonly used by the locals isn't the official street name! I was able to figure it out because the area in question was pretty deserted.

But this sounds like a bug if it is really the case that the search zone was set correctly and the system was able to identify the address but not through the POI input mode. Is it possible to have the search zone appear correct when you check the setting, but the algorithm is actually using the wrong zone?

I've found the thing to be uncannily accurate in the L.A. metro area.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I drove in that area last year, and if I am not mistaken, many ramps were changed. Though Navteq may have the latest info in their main database, it may not have made it to Denso yet for the DVD update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts