Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When driving, the nav and blue tooth system data entry system is disabled. Honda and others do not see fit to treat their drivers like children and turn off the controls while driving. Does anyone know a way to modify the software to disable this unneeded and anyoing characteristic? I saw a site that said you could put in a switch to disable the inertial switch to acomplish but this should be able to be accomplished with software. Does anyone know who at Toyota to contact to complain about this issue?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Coastal Dave has a kit for about $80. Forget a S/W change; Toyota did it this way on purpose for perceived liability reasons, so a complaint won't get you anywhere.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Forget $80.

For the price of a $2 switch you can do it yourself. Check over on PriusChat in the Knowledge Base section. There's plenty of how-to's. I did myself and it all works great.

DGStan

·
Registered
133 Posts
I followed the information to Priuschat. nothing re the telephone speed sensor, plus I do not want to have to keep switching a switch. Isn't there anyway to defeat this disable system so my nav/phone work all the time. My wife and I usually drive together......and we are still married!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Nope, short of reprogramming the MFD and the NAV, which is not likely you'll be able to do.

Well, actually someone did develop a rather complex circuit that would sense that you are in NAV or BT screens based on sensing the steering wheel button presses, but the side effects still apply: no wheel animation, no MPG avgs, and in the case of NAV being disabled too long, a dead reconing error.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts