Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucky me I am now driving a prius Got delivery on the car this week. I can not understand the nav system Tried to delete the old addresses and can not find how to delete them. can you help me even the service and salespeople do not know how to work the nav system. Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
Menu -> My Places -> Delete -> select item -> Yes :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The NAV system has its own user manual. Find a nice, quiet place to park under some trees with a cup of coffee or an iced tea and get yourself acquainted! You could ask for detailed info here, but it's all in the user guide anyhow. Plus, you'll retain the info better if you learn it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have read the manual for the NAV system. Moreover, I have read it twice and highlighted it. It is confusing, to say the least. There is one man at my toyota dealership who went to Toyota University (no joke) and seems to understand the sytem-- somewhat. Getting him to find the time to help is another matter.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the navigation portion of the manual was written by someone who was not very fluent in Japanese! I have re-read this manual countless times - and I've read it aloud while my husband and I have tried to figure out some new navigation trick - but we continue to remain LOST, hopelessly LOST. I've had the car for 2 months and I still haven't mastered the stupid navigation system...thanks to Toyota's terrible, horrible manual.

In fact, the entire Prius manual is terrible, in my opinion...and I'm a manual-reader from way back. I can not figure out why it's not better written! I've been very frustrated with it, to put it mildly, but at least I love my car...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think the manuals are horrible and long winded. They just talk too much.

I sat down and started searching through the entire system... now, if i don't know how to do it, i can find out pretty easy. I know almost every trick and where every bottom is. It was a pain at first (because i didn't read the manual at all) but after a couple days of fooling around and testing the nav system, i have it very very well. Haven't quite had the car a month yet.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
V8Cobrakid said:
...I sat down and started searching through the entire system... now, if i don't know how to do it, i can find out pretty easy. I know almost every trick and where every bottom is. It was a pain at first (because i didn't read the manual at all) but after a couple days of fooling around and testing the nav system, i have it very very well. Haven't quite had the car a month yet.
Per Cobra Kid's post (highlights mine): I think this is key. If reading the manual doesn't work for you, then you just have to make time and EXPLORE the NAV system. After all, you've already bought the car; what else can you do?

If necessary, take a pad of paper and a pencil with you and make your own notes. I have done this with software, music keyboards with convoluted operating systems, cookbooks, and auto service manuals. Yes, it will take some time to do, but surely it is better than the alternative, which is to do nothing and not learn it.

Hey, maybe one of us will take it upon ourselves to publish a little NAV guide similar to the Prius "By Owners" manual (I forget the real name of it...John, help me out here! :D ).

·
Registered
82 Posts
V8Cobrakid wrote:"I think the manuals are horrible and long winded. They just talk too much. I sat down and started searching through the entire system... now, if i don't know how to do it, i can find out pretty easy. I know almost every trick and where every bottom is. It was a pain at first (because i didn't read the manual at all) but after a couple days of fooling around and testing the nav system, i have it very very well. Haven't quite had the car a month yet."

WELL, COBRAKID, WANT TO DO US ALL A FAVOR AND WRITE A MINI MANUAL FOR THE REST OF US? I cannot get the darn NAV system to do the DESTINATION thing. Moreover, often it does not have a clue where the destination is. I wish it accepted zip codes (like Mapquest) That might help its brain find the destination-- locally!

Thanks for all of your help- everyone!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Actually, the destination thing was quite intuitive for me.

Park the car, put it in "ON", but leave it in "park."

Push NAV hardware buttons until I see "address" option on screen. (yeah, I kind of guessed at this one! :p )

Push "address"

Type in street number, tab down to street name, and enter that...

By now, NAV system is guessing street name characters and even cities (wow, how cool is that!), pick the right one, and off you go!

·
Registered
381 Posts
BIF said:
By now, NAV system is guessing street name characters and even cities (wow, how cool is that!), pick the right one, and off you go!
The POI (Points Of Interest) feature is similar; made it MUCH easier to find Epcot than trying to "visually scan" across half the state. Of course, I could've just set it when I got there, but I wanted to use the NAV system to get there. Check it out; it even shows the Monorail route. 8)

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I started playing with the Nav system I had a heck of a time getting it to acknowledge my home address. Finally went to the book, snooped around on system, and discovered it was trying to find my location in the Northeast! Once I changed geographical areas to CA/NV, I've had very few problems. :)

I have found one street name/location problem. Anyone know where I should write to notify the programmers of the glitch?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would think you have to report it to the address in the handbook :)

The Nav books english is uhmmmm interesting ... Min you, I dont think I could write the same in Japaneese, but I wish they got a native english speaker to proof read it!

What looks cool is that you can point to a destination and scroll to the exact position and hit enter. I guess that could be a lot quicker than typing the address, even with the autocomplete function.

Shame there is no list of voice commands in the books. I have them from the web, but not everyone has web access.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Rural parts of Pensacola were "offline" from the map software. It's kind of funny when the lady's voice says this long complicated thing that basically means she's about to abandon you, and you're on your own from here on out!

I don't know which is worse, her bailing on you....or you seeing your position on the map with no roads nearby! :shock:

Luckily, I'm pretty much a city-boy. 8)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've had a couple of "amusing" experiences with it, both had to do with roads appearing on the map that may have been originally intended to be built, but never were. One shows a road in my neighborhood that, if I drove by map vs. sight, would put me through someone's home and into the retention pond. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts