Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I haven't posted in a long while....I was in Florida and am now in Germany with my '05 Prius. I was able to purchase a European Nav disc and am having issues. It seems like the system didn't 'clear' my old info, for example my old Florida house is still listed....it never asked me to choose a new language...I can't imagine this disc is mainly in English. The big issue also is it won't allow me to use the address function or the POI function in Germany only but will work for all the other countries...also there is no voice speaking directions....it is very odd and another US owner here is having the exact same problems. I am wondering if there is a way to reset the nav system, I'm thinking maybe that would help?? The dealer I got the disc from speaks very little English so they can't help much unless the disc is defective OR incompatible with my system??? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in Advance!
Becky

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Maybe there is a reqion selection action required, so that even though it has your old POIs listed, it can't find new ones.

Is there an 800 number that you can get to from Germany?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I can't help with specific info either, but I'd guess KTPhil has it right. The disc is just the data -- the map and POI database and such -- the actual software lives (I assume) in one of the computers. The language selection would be local to the car, not the disc. The region setting seems like a logical starting place. I suppose it is possible there is some kind of format incompatibilty between the US software and the European disc, but it seems unlikely...There must be a way to edit your home setting as well, after all people do move even if they stay on the same continent! Check the manual... I don't have it in front of me.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Leave the old home point in it! I want to see what route it suggests to get "home" from Germany!
(Hint: you might have to accept a ferry ride)
;-)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL......we were wondering the same thing about it routing us back to Florida! I hit the button and it says 'out of range'

I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow, I will let you all know what happens...hopefully it's just an easy programming fix!

Thanks for the replies!
Becky

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I believe the disk does have some code. Try examining the loading.kwi file with a file editor sometime. You'll recognize some of the display messages you get, including the "I Agree" message with its disclaimer.

But data, such as My Places and such are stored in the NAV, as well as your setting choices.
So, if the German DVD has no code to change the language, yet the language setting currently in the NAV is now an illegal one, that function won't work. Let me explain it like this. If the German DVD expects the NAV to only work in German, then it wouldn't need a dialog to change the language. However, your NAV is currently set to English, and there's no data in English, so no sound.
You could try pulling the plugs off the NAV, but I would imagine the settings are non-volatile, stored in flash memory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts