Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealership today and saw my first 2006 Prius. This was a silver pkg6 with leather. On the rear bumper where two black plugs/sensors on opposite ends of the bumper facing the rear of vehicle. I noticed the new rear camera placement but was puzzled about the black 1" diameter plugs which spoiled the look of the car in my opinion. Any ideas?

I couldn't find any reference to these in my forum search and they don't exist on the Toyota 2006 Prius website pictures.

glenk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm looking at toyota.com - there is a rear quarter picture of a silver package #8, there are no black circles on the bumper. Maybe somebody added a rear sonar kit? I think your car that comes from the factory will not have any black discs on the rear bumper. Check out the photos on toyota.com for the 2006 Prius. I have also seen photos of members' 2006 silver prii and they have a clean bumper.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My guess is that those are ultra sound sensors. Some vehicles have four of them, two at corners, two facing rearward. My Prius has them (done myself - yes, they are ugly). Usually you would like them to be in original plastic color (black). Don't paint on them because ultrasound tends to give false alarms due to thin air layer between plastic and outer paint layer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts