Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Re: Toyota Prius 2010

First, I would like to attest that I know almost nothing about cars, but I'm beginning to learn a little bit under the circumstances.

Chronology narrative:

* About six months ago I started getting the "Check Hybrid System" message and within a few minutes the car would stopped working. I learned to temporarily fix this problem by disconnecting the 12v battery terminal for a few minutes. The car would stop working similarly every few thousand miles, and thus I would follow this same process to get the car to work again. On the week of Monday July 13, 2020, I noticed while driving on an Avenue that the engine power suddenly got poor, the engine sounded noisy, rattling, knocking, but to my surprised I learned to fixed this issue by simply changing the air filer (and back on the road again). Then, on July 22nd I noticed the car was overheating (overflow tank was getting too pressurised and shooting all the coolant out of the cap and the tiny one down below). I The high temperature message and the check engine messages were coming up. I went sraight to AutoZone to get the code reader which indicated to: 1) Replace hybrid battery pack and the 2) coolant temp temp sensor, 3) cylinder 1 misfire detected (*I went ahead and ONLY changed the sensor and the sparkplugs). The car continued to overheat, plus was experiencing poor engine power (the temperature in New Mexico has been about 95 degrees these days). My neighbor with knowledge in car repairs suggested me to change the water pump. I gave him $60dls, and in about half hour he changed the water pump (w/new coolant). I went for a test right after the water pump was replaced but unfortunately the high temp, and now the yellow triangle with exclamation sign, came up. Of course, I will need to replace the hybrid battery, but it also appears to me that there's issues getting the spark and/or fuel to start the car. This time, the won't start at all, it has no traction, all the lights on dashboard are on. It also tells me to change the car to P in order to drive, but it becomes difficult to shift it to P, and the car is not even on. I tried to jump start it but it didn't work. I called the tow truck co to bring it home. What is going on with my car? Please advise, help. In gratitude,

·
Registered
4 Posts
You don't tell the miles on your car, and if the battery cooling ducts and fan have been maintained. I did those on my first Prius (my "Test Mule" to see how I liked them) and it only require following a You Tube video, but I cleaned out a lot of dust, especially on the fan blades. I can't figure why Toyota didn't put a simple. easily accessed cheap air filter at the inlet to provide for simple owner maintenance. That's my guess about what has led to the possible death of your traction battery. Find a local shop that 'rebuilds' those batteries-not as good as new, but might get you over the hump. How long have you had the car? How many miles, etc....that info would help knowledgeable people make a guess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts