Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smart Key System - Pure gold. I hope I never own another car with out it.

Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink - For $269 I can switch the mirror my self. Homelink, I would rather be able to take the garage door opener out of the car. I also don’t have any remote controlled lights in my home.

Vehicle Stability Control - I have yet to use it, for me saving gas is all about driving like a grandma. However living in an ice and snow state I was more than happy to pay for it based on the reviews I’ve seen. You never Know what that other driver is going to do.

Back Up Camera - The Prius does not have the best rear visibility but it’s far from the worst. I’ve driven trucks and vans with no rear window and managed not to crush any small children or pets.

HID headlights - I don’t like them on other peoples cars but I love them on mine. I drive alot of two lane rural roads to save gas and they really light up the night. Admittedly the fog lights are just for show.

JBL w/6CD Changer - This doesn’t seem to me like an audiophiles sound system based on the audiophiles immediately wanting to disconnect one speaker and add a sub woofer. I think I’ve listened to 2 CD’s since I got an iPod so the six disk changer does nothing for me. MP3 play back and Aux jack are welcome additions but they’e standard. Automatic sound leveling would also be nice.

Side Curtain Air Bags - Any option that keeps me from being bent, folded, spindled or mutilated is worth the money to me. Again, you never know what other drivers are going to do.

Voice Activated Nav System - Don’t have it so I can’t judge it. It looks really cool and if I could have afforded it I would have gotten it. I’ve heard it’s more expensive to upgrade than aftermarket systems but the integration is so elegant I would still buy it.

Bluetooth - A very important safety feature if you use your phone in the car alot. I don’t have it but I don’t have a bluetooth phone either. When I renew my contract in a few months I’ll upgrade to one and then look for an inexpensive third party option.

I was sorry to see HID headlights replaced with the backup camera in package #4 for ‘06. I do more driving at night than in crowded parking lots. Anyway these are personal opinions. I realize other peoples driving habits and environments would weight their choices differently.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I agree with most of what you said but disagree with the Electrochromatic auto dimming mirror with Homelink.

For me, not having to flip back and forth on the regular mirros is safer. With a regular mirror, if I leave it in night mode and there's no one behind, then I can't see anything behind. With the auto dimming, it'll be in day mode until someone tags along behind you at which time it'll dim. It'll work better on other cars cause we have the rear spoiler that sorta blocks headlights anyway.

Homelink frees up space cause I don't have to carry a remote. I hate having to clip the remote to the sunvisor. Works with multiple remotes (e.g. I can enter my friend's car park without him having to open the gate for me)

·
Registered
58 Posts
After 15K miles on a 2005 that is fully loaded:

Smart key - great

Auto dim mirror w homelink - had auto dim on last car and loved it.

Homelink allows me to leave my garage door opener out of the car. Its now in the truck.

Stability control - any safety equipment is well worth it to me.

Backup camera - would have gotten it if it had been available. See the value but the lack of rear visability seems overstated to me. Drive my truck with the cap on sometime!

HID headlights - good

Radio and 6 CD changer - fine, but don't use the CD much but I keep it loaded for lengthier trips. Had it on my last car as well.

Side air bags - see stabiliity control

Voice activated nav - lots of fun and I have found it valuable in looking for strange addresses. It has come in handy quite a few times.

Bluetooth - wish I had a compatible phone. Just got a new one before buying the Prius. My next phone will be bluetooth.

Really, I can't think of anything on the car that I would not get if I bought another one. I have used everything (except bluetooth) and the safety things are particularly appreciated.

·
Registered
393 Posts
After 8K miles on a 2005 that is fully loaded:

Smart key - How did I live with out it? It's great

Auto dim mirror w homelink - I had auto dim on last car and loved it; would not have a car with out it.

Stability control - Any safety equipment is well worth it to me.

HID headlights - Great!

Radio and 6 CD changer - Is fine, but don't use the CD as much since I have the XM...but I keep it loaded for lengthier trips. Had it on my last car as well.

Side air bags - See stabiliity control

Voice activated nav - Lots of fun and I have found it valuable in looking for strange addresses. It has come in handy quite a few times.

Bluetooth -My phone is Bluetooth. It's a great thing to have.

Really, I can't think of anything on the car that I would not get if I bought another one.

In fact, the next car I get better have this stuff.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
T'he only extra worth buying was the super cashmere inner lining in the sunglass compartment ... Jake, (my Canary) rides there, and he has always been high maintenance. :wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
We ordered pkg #5 which includes a lot of the equipment listed above. I always use my mirrors while reversing and always do a "walk around" before backing up, but there's a lot of people that don't even look behind them before jumping in their cars. If the camera saves one kid from getting run over it's worth it. I've seen people back over tricycles in their driveway (and one lady over her cat) because they couldn't see well or didn't take the time to look.

Looking forward to the auto-dimming mirror: never had one and my wife always messes the mirror adjustment up on our other cars by futzing with the flip-lever all the time... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
The only significant feature that I wouldn't miss is the 6CD changer... once the satellite radio gets installed. CDs are obsolete technology.... drop it along with the 8 track tape player.

There are several things that I WISH the car did have... but are not available. I miss these, and would pay extra for them:

1) Rain sensing wipers... they are fantastic... 1000% better than timed intermittent wipers. Have you ever noticed when driving down a road that your timed wipers will trigger just before you pick up road spray from a car going the opposite direction? This problem is completely avoided with rain sensing wipers. I think this can be added 3rd party to a Prius

2) Auto dimming headlights. My Jeep has this and they work flawlessly. They also have continously variable hi/low beams. I understand the dimming sensor uses a video camera... and image recognition to determine how to lower the beams "just enough" and fully automatically.

3) Self charging key fob in the BMW... the downside is that you need to insert a key into the lock... the plus is that you never need to change batteries in the key fob. I would insert the fob into the slot for one hour each year rather than deal with dead batteries.

4) Heated seats

5) Power seats

6) OAT that is visible all of the time

7) Tire pressure monitors that show the actual tire pressure of all 4 tires at once.

8) Auto shut-down of all electrical systems (lights etc) if a car is left unattended. My Jeeps shut down all lights after 8 minutes if they are left on.

9) Dynamically controlled headlight leveling... My wife's BMW Z4 adjusts the height of the beam automatically as she accelerates and/or brakes... keeping the illumination of her HID lights level on the road ahead... really quite amazing. Of course... a Prius probably doesnt need this because it is driven much more passively than a Z4.

10) Dynamic cruise control... which automatically lowers your set speed as you encroach a slower verhicle in your lane ahead... and automatically resumes set speed when the car pulls over to the adjacent lane. None of our cars have this... but I think the BMWs 7 series have this. I would like to at least try it.

11) Back up sensors. I think they would be a good addition to the camera.

12) Built in digital music player w/100GB or more of storage that sycnronizes wirelessly with my home server whenever I pull into the garage. To the best of my knowledge... this isnt available on any cars yet... but I expect it soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hyperion said:
You do realize that you are talking about a midsize-compact car here that was made to sell for $20,000 dollars.
Yes... and I did say that I would be willing to pay more.

Several of the items would not cost any more to implement. OAT that was displayed in all modes as example... It is annoying to have to switch to the climate page to see the temperature (unless I am missing it some other place).

Also... the TPM system aleady knows the pressure of each tire... but they choose not to show it to you on the display. It would actually be cheaper to do this because then they could dump the "set TPM" button.... and the indicator light.

Some of the items (like the BMW features) I would not expect on a car in the Prius-class.... and in fact... I am pleasantly surprised overall on how much is included in the Prius. I am simply pointing out that there is room for improvement.

/Jim

·
Registered
393 Posts
flynz4 said:
The only significant feature that I wouldn't miss is the 6CD changer... once the satellite radio gets installed. CDs are obsolete technology.... drop it along with the 8 track tape player.
I know this is OT, but I had to comment on what you said...

Your comment is a sad, but realistic attitude to have. I love CD's, and have thousands. But truth is, that most people are willing to lose fidelity more and more.

In my collection, I have Super Audio discs, DVD 5.1 Discs, and also Original Master Recording Records...yes, Records, that have far superior sound to what most of the masses listen to today.

I often wonder, in a few years, will anyone care about quality audio anymore?

·
Registered
455 Posts
OverTork said:
Smart Key System - Pure gold. I hope I never own another car with out it.

Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink - For $269 I can switch the mirror my self. Homelink, I would rather be able to take the garage door opener out of the car. I also don’t have any remote controlled lights in my home.

Vehicle Stability Control - I have yet to use it, for me saving gas is all about driving like a grandma. However living in an ice and snow state I was more than happy to pay for it based on the reviews I’ve seen. You never Know what that other driver is going to do.

Back Up Camera - The Prius does not have the best rear visibility but it’s far from the worst. I’ve driven trucks and vans with no rear window and managed not to crush any small children or pets.

HID headlights - I don’t like them on other peoples cars but I love them on mine. I drive alot of two lane rural roads to save gas and they really light up the night. Admittedly the fog lights are just for show.

JBL w/6CD Changer - This doesn’t seem to me like an audiophiles sound system based on the audiophiles immediately wanting to disconnect one speaker and add a sub woofer. I think I’ve listened to 2 CD’s since I got an iPod so the six disk changer does nothing for me. MP3 play back and Aux jack are welcome additions but they’e standard. Automatic sound leveling would also be nice.

Side Curtain Air Bags - Any option that keeps me from being bent, folded, spindled or mutilated is worth the money to me. Again, you never know what other drivers are going to do.

Voice Activated Nav System - Don’t have it so I can’t judge it. It looks really cool and if I could have afforded it I would have gotten it. I’ve heard it’s more expensive to upgrade than aftermarket systems but the integration is so elegant I would still buy it.

Bluetooth - A very important safety feature if you use your phone in the car alot. I don’t have it but I don’t have a bluetooth phone either. When I renew my contract in a few months I’ll upgrade to one and then look for an inexpensive third party option.

I was sorry to see HID headlights replaced with the backup camera in package #4 for ‘06. I do more driving at night than in crowded parking lots. Anyway these are personal opinions. I realize other peoples driving habits and environments would weight their choices differently.
Smart Key System - Pure gold. I hope I never own another car with out it. Unfortunately Toyota has not introduced this system on all its cars. Our 2006 Sienna, doesn't have it. Would have gotten it, if I could have. Constantly looking for the start button when I get in.

Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink - For $269 I can switch the mirror my self. Homelink, I would rather be able to take the garage door opener out of the car. I also don’t have any remote controlled lights in my home. As far as the switching the mirror yourself, that can be said of most of the options. A/C, I can open a window. Electric windows, I can crank them myself. Electric mirrors, only adjust them occassionally, and I can do it myself. And on and on. It is a convenience factor. And it is nice to not have to be blinded, and then switch it, it happens automatically. For Homelink, I have had it on my last couple of vehilces and it is nice. You don't have to worry about keeping track of your clicker in the car. Don't have to worry about changing the battery and when I lived in a gated community, I had one button for the gate and one for the garage (the third I did for the gate to my brother's gated community gate for frequent house sitting). If you don't want the control to be left in the car, then the idea would be not to use it. Never program it and it doesn't hurt you. Nothing about it, prevents use of the clicker if that works better for you. Do you really remember to always take your clicker out with you?

Vehicle Stability Control - I have yet to use it, for me saving gas is all about driving like a grandma. However living in an ice and snow state I was more than happy to pay for it based on the reviews I’ve seen. You never Know what that other driver is going to do. Never used it, but wouldn't buy a car without it if given the choice. For snow and ice, I think you mean more the traction control, not the stability control. Also stability control doesn't do anything for you to protect you from others, unless you meant by way of forcing you to make some sudden driving moves and invoking it.

Back Up Camera - The Prius does not have the best rear visibility but it’s far from the worst. I’ve driven trucks and vans with no rear window and managed not to crush any small children or pets. Don't have it, '04 didn't offer it. Really don't find any problems with the rear view, I think it is better than some sedans. But since I buy fully loaded, would have gotten it.

HID headlights - I don’t like them on other peoples cars but I love them on mine. I drive alot of two lane rural roads to save gas and they really light up the night. Admittedly the fog lights are just for show. I find most of the time people are bothered by HIDs, it is the fake ones, not the real ones. Is a huge difference on dark mountain roads. I do see a difference with the fog lights in ground fog conditions.

JBL w/6CD Changer - This doesn’t seem to me like an audiophiles sound system based on the audiophiles immediately wanting to disconnect one speaker and add a sub woofer. I think I’ve listened to 2 CD’s since I got an iPod so the six disk changer does nothing for me. MP3 play back and Aux jack are welcome additions but they’e standard. Automatic sound leveling would also be nice. Well the '04 didn't come with the aux in, really would have liked it. Actually wrote to Toyota about the lack of it. 6 CD changer is nice on longer trips, when your wife falls asleep as soon as you pull out of the driveway.

Side Curtain Air Bags - Any option that keeps me from being bent, folded, spindled or mutilated is worth the money to me. Again, you never know what other drivers are going to do. Another good invention/advancement.

Voice Activated Nav System - Don’t have it so I can’t judge it. It looks really cool and if I could have afforded it I would have gotten it. I’ve heard it’s more expensive to upgrade than aftermarket systems but the integration is so elegant I would still buy it. Is it really that expensive, I don't remember. Plus, don't you get other features at the same time? And are the aftermarket ones that cheaper once you add in the head unit and the GPS unit (usually not the same), and installation? Where would you put the head unit in the Prius, with the MFD screen already there?

Bluetooth - A very important safety feature if you use your phone in the car alot. I don’t have it but I don’t have a bluetooth phone either. When I renew my contract in a few months I’ll upgrade to one and then look for an inexpensive third party option. The 3rd party won't have the same functionality, at least none that I have seen. It is very cool, especially when I throw my jacket in back, phone in pocket, and when someone calls, I can still answer the phone. Plus the stereo goes down, so I hear it ring.

Spike

·
Registered
455 Posts
flynz4 said:

There are several things that I WISH the car did have... but are not available. I miss these, and would pay extra for them:

1) Rain sensing wipers... they are fantastic... 1000% better than timed intermittent wipers. Have you ever noticed when driving down a road that your timed wipers will trigger just before you pick up road spray from a car going the opposite direction? This problem is completely avoided with rain sensing wipers. I think this can be added 3rd party to a Prius

2) Auto dimming headlights. My Jeep has this and they work flawlessly. They also have continously variable hi/low beams. I understand the dimming sensor uses a video camera... and image recognition to determine how to lower the beams "just enough" and fully automatically.

3) Self charging key fob in the BMW... the downside is that you need to insert a key into the lock... the plus is that you never need to change batteries in the key fob. I would insert the fob into the slot for one hour each year rather than deal with dead batteries.

4) Heated seats

5) Power seats

6) OAT that is visible all of the time

7) Tire pressure monitors that show the actual tire pressure of all 4 tires at once.

8) Auto shut-down of all electrical systems (lights etc) if a car is left unattended. My Jeeps shut down all lights after 8 minutes if they are left on.

9) Dynamically controlled headlight leveling... My wife's BMW Z4 adjusts the height of the beam automatically as she accelerates and/or brakes... keeping the illumination of her HID lights level on the road ahead... really quite amazing. Of course... a Prius probably doesnt need this because it is driven much more passively than a Z4.

10) Dynamic cruise control... which automatically lowers your set speed as you encroach a slower verhicle in your lane ahead... and automatically resumes set speed when the car pulls over to the adjacent lane. None of our cars have this... but I think the BMWs 7 series have this. I would like to at least try it.

11) Back up sensors. I think they would be a good addition to the camera.

12) Built in digital music player w/100GB or more of storage that sycnronizes wirelessly with my home server whenever I pull into the garage. To the best of my knowledge... this isnt available on any cars yet... but I expect it soon.
CDs are not yet obsolete, they are at this point still the mainstream way that music is bought and sold. 8 tracks are indeed obsolete.

rain sensing wipers, never tried them; not really looking for them either though. Never noticed the timed wipers to the splash thing

auto dimming headlinghts, really? is that, that much of an issue for you? That click, car passes, then click? Plus, keeps you paying attention.

OK, self charging fob wouldn't be bad, but is changing the battery every two years killing you? I haven't put the key in the slot in 2 years. With batter technology what it is, you would have to recharge it more often than you have to change the battery.

Heated seats, hmm, not bad. More useful on leather seats than cloth. And the Prius heats up pretty quick. I would settle for more comfy seats.

Power seats, I don't know why, just don't do it for me. I only adjust the seats every once in a while anyway. Would rather not worry about burning out a motor down the road (so to speak). Unless they have memory too, so that I wouldn't have to go back and forth to find the spot after the wife drives it.

No idea what you mean by OAT

Tire pressure monitors, this can be done aftermarket if you so desire.

Uhh, my prius will shut everything off if I leave anything on. As long as you shut the car off. Unless you turn it on, after you shut the car off, then it assumes you know what you are doing, and keeps the lights on. Unless you mean shutting off the car itself after a period of inactivity. That would be great in traffic!

headlight leveling, really, do you get that much front end dive on your prius? The only time I find that usefull is on trucks and vans, where you are often carrying loads which would change the vehicles pitch. And I thought the Prius HIDs were self leveling already?

the laser cruise I have on my other car, doesn't work as well as you would really like. Really only usefull in full out long distance interstate traveling. Although the newest MB system for '06 is supposed to be much better.

back up sensors, if I had em, I would clip them, or shut them off, if able to. That beeping would drive me mad. If I don't know where the edge of my vehicle is, I shouldn't be driving. I hate when I am in a car with them. Unless it is a BIG vehicle, I just don't see the need.

Yeah, I don't see it now or soon. But they do have them with removeable hard drives, so you bring it in to the house, put the music you like on it, then put it back in the car. You can really use any MP# player like this as well. The only difference is the lack of doing it wirelessly.

Spike

·
Registered
455 Posts
flynz4 said:
hyperion said:
You do realize that you are talking about a midsize-compact car here that was made to sell for $20,000 dollars.

Several of the items would not cost any more to implement. OAT that was displayed in all modes as example... It is annoying to have to switch to the climate page to see the temperature (unless I am missing it some other place).

Also... the TPM system aleady knows the pressure of each tire... but they choose not to show it to you on the display. It would actually be cheaper to do this because then they could dump the "set TPM" button.... and the indicator light.

Some of the items (like the BMW features) I would not expect on a car in the Prius-class.... and in fact... I am pleasantly surprised overall on how much is included in the Prius. I am simply pointing out that there is room for improvement.

/Jim
So you really look at the tempature outside that much? I find I hardly ever look at it. Maybe in the morning, if I am thinking it is cold out, I might go, "how, cold?" But not that often. I thought you did actually see it on other screens, like the consumption screen? But, like I said, I don't often care what the temp is so I don't look for it. I wouldn't mind an interior temperature reading however, maybe off to the left on the climate screen. The information is already there, it is just a matter of displaying it.

Isn't the TPM system an indirect system currently (wasn't on the '04, so I could be off). Meaning it doesn't know the exact pressure of the tire, it just "knows" if it is turning at the same speed as the other 3 tires.

Yes, the Prius includes many Lexus like features. Particuarly for the price. Never mind the HSD.

Spike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes... OAT is a big deal to pilots... knowing it tends to keep us alive when flying through clouds. Likewise... for those of us who drive over mountain passes nearly weekly... knowing OAT is a very valuable thing to know during our ~30-35 degree oregon wet winters :)

Spike said:
Isn't the TPM system an indirect system currently (wasn't on the '04, so I could be off). Meaning it doesn't know the exact pressure of the tire, it just "knows" if it is turning at the same speed as the other 3 tires.

Spike
The TPM system absolutely does work off of tire pressure... not tire rotation speed. Each sensor broadcasts the actual tire pressure. In my wife's Z4... the system is the same as the Prius and simply lets you know that at least one tire has gone low since the last time the "calibrate" button was pressed. By contrast... the Jeep shows a graphic of a car, with a 2 digit number next to each wheel showing the actual tire pressure. This is a much better solution.

/Jim

·
Registered
455 Posts
Spike said:
flynz4 said:
hyperion said:

/Jim
So you really look at the tempature outside that much? I find I hardly ever look at it. Maybe in the morning, if I am thinking it is cold out, I might go, "how, cold?" But not that often. I thought you did actually see it on other screens, like the consumption screen? But, like I said, I don't often care what the temp is so I don't look for it. I wouldn't mind an interior temperature reading however, maybe off to the left on the climate screen. The information is already there, it is just a matter of displaying it.

Yes, the Prius includes many Lexus like features. Particuarly for the price. Never mind the HSD.

Spike
I looked, the temp is availible on the consumption screen and the energy use screen. Me, I normally travel with the consumption screen up.

What other screen were you looking for it to be on?

Spike

·
Registered
455 Posts
flynz4 said:
Yes... OAT is a big deal to pilots... knowing it tends to keep us alive when flying through clouds. Likewise... for those of us who drive over mountain passes nearly weekly... knowing OAT is a very valuable thing to know during our ~30-35 degree oregon wet winters :)

Spike said:

Spike
The TPM system absolutely does work off of tire pressure... not tire rotation speed. Each sensor broadcasts the actual tire pressure. In my wife's Z4... the system is the same as the Prius and simply lets you know that at least one tire has gone low since the last time the "calibrate" button was pressed. By contrast... the Jeep shows a graphic of a car, with a 2 digit number next to each wheel showing the actual tire pressure. This is a much better solution.

/Jim
Yeah, but
a) you aren't in a plane, you are in a car
b) it is availible on at least 3 screens, what other screen would you want it on? Two of the 3 screens are availible from a steering wheel mounted button, can't get too much easier than that.
c) for concerns about drops in temperature leading to ice, I am guessing, since you didn't say, you get that little snowflake at temps below 37

Can anyone confirm whether the Toyota one is direct or indirect? I was under the impression that they were using an indirect system.

So it sounds like the Jeep has the direct type system. Yes that is better, and given the choice that is what I would choose. Like I said, I do not believe that is what Toyota is using; and can't quickly locate any info about it on their website. I know they hype the fact that on certain Lexus models they are using the direct system, so it seems strange, that if it is also on the Prius, they would not hype it equally. But it is conceivable. Given the choice between them, I think all would go with the direct system. It is simply a better, more helpful design, albeit more expensive.

Spike

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I am concerned that the level & quantity of information, MD screens etc, not directly related to current driving is a growing safety hazard. I would entertain regulation that requires such things "go dark" automatically when the vehicle is in motion (and come back on when it is stopped, like at a light, etc.) If a passenger wanted to use a screen, say for mapping, while the vehicle was in motion, they would have to make screen so that it was not visible to the driver.

Just a safety opinion.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The HID headlights on the Prius are self leveling. The halogens are not.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts