Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here it is. I'm a lousy photographer, but I've posted pictures of my new fuel-cell car here. Click on a thumbnail to see a bigger view.

It has a solar panel and a bi-directional fuel cell. In full, bright sunlight it seems to take about a half an hour to produce a full charge of hydrogen (and oxygen). On a bright overcast day I think it would take about 3 hours. It's slower in late afternoon as the insolation decreases.

Picture 1 shows the solar panel and the plastic tube from the left side of the fuel cell to the oxygen tank. Picture 2 shows the car a bit more clearly. In the back are the oxygen and hydrogen storage "tanks," essentially plastic cups inverted in a larger, rectangular tank of water, which holds the gasses in, under the pressure of about 2 inches of water (when full).

You have to manually plug and unplug the wires from the solar cell and the motor to select whether to charge or run. The book says you can connect both to achieve hybrid operation: the car will run directly from the solar panel in full sunlight, and then run on hydrogen when shaded. However, on my carpet, the solar panel does not produce enough current to run the car. Maybe with brighter light, or a flatter surface.

The first time I ran it, it ran for about 3 minutes on a not-quite-full charge. I have it charging again now and this time I'm going to charge it all the way and then time it to see how long it runs.

The kit cost $120 from Discover This on Yahoo Shopping. Shipping was free. The car body is very cheap-looking. The only parts of any real value are the multi-meter, the solar panel, the fuel cell, and a thick book of experiments suitable for kids over 12. I'm guessing at most $40 for everything but the fuel cell, and $80 for the fuel cell, which seems to put out about as much power as an AA battery. (It's a 3-volt system, so you'd need 2 AA batteries to run it, but then you'd have a lot more power. The car struggles on my very-low-pile carpet.)

It's fun. It's cool. And it's a pretty good demonstration of how impractical fuel cells are. As a toy, it's a good demonstration of the chemistry & the physics involved. But it shows how much more economical batteries are. A single rechargable AA battery would probably provide more power at about 4% of the cost. Clearly, fuel cells will improve. But so will batteries.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Second run:

On a full charge of hydrogen, running in circles on a smooth, flat piece of carpet backing 5 1/2 feet on a side, the car ran for seven minutes. (I had only estimated the time on the first run, plus I was fiddling with it a lot, and it didn't have a full tank of hydrogen.

Even on this flat surface it was struggling to keep moving.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have that same Fuel Cell car. I got mine for the my High School Science Fair Project just this last March. I It was a great project. I took the fuel cell and made a hydrogen ballon. Took a whole day, but then pop it with a lighter, BOOM. It will get your hair if you are not carefull!!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't know the fuel cell would produce enough pressure to fill a balloon. I've just filled the little "fuel tanks" in the back of the car. Maybe 10 cubic centimeters? To tell you the truth, I was kind of surprised it worked at all. I suppose if I filled a baggie with it and tied it off with a bit of dental floss it ought to float up to the ceiling. But I don't think I have the patience.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This morning I did the third run. This time I put it under a 60-watt light bulb, and it produced a tankful of hydrogen in just 22 minutes, and then ran, on a flat surface, for 8 minutes and 20 seconds.

The plastic wheels slide onto the metal axels, but they don't hold well. Two of them wobble seriously. And only one of the drive wheels is tight enough to get power. I need to put something on for friction, or else glue the wheels on. The whole thing is very cheaply made. One of the plugs came off the wire and I had to strip a bit of wire and put it back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts