Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The below text is a letter that I just emailed to Kerry-Edwards '04 base camp in Washington DC. Because of the content included in this email regarding my comments to him with hybrids, AND because of Bush's remarks (YES that is a 100% absolutely legitimate quote) that I wanted to make all of you, my friends aware of.

I know this board is full of a lot of different people and a lot of different political beliefs and I could talk myself to death into preaching my side of it, but I will just say this.

VOTE.

When you go to vote on election day, take 5 friends with you... The days of our democratic society being completely indifferent to the democratic process need to end NOW.

Without further adieu... my letter to John Kerry...

*Very Disturbing* comments made by Bush...

I had logged in to my AOL account and one of the features I enjoy is the Tv's Top 5. They take the 5 most comical, action filled, dumb, etc clips on tv from the previous day and you can vote. It was a clip apparently from the Tonight Show in which the President said the following: (and it's actually gonna take me a while to type this because I'm listening as I type it to ensure an EXACT quote) :

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful...and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people...and neither do we."

Leno apparently presented this clip in which "(His) hand to God, they did not doctor this tape in any way"

I wasn't sure anyone had been made aware of this in your camp so I wanted to send an email. He either has absolutely HORRIBLE speech writers OR this was the most telling Freudian slip of the 21st century. With everything Bush has done to alienate the rest of the world, his comments, although they may be completely incidental, are quite true.

Going to another country and saying "I'm an American" doesn't have the same response it did when I was 14 and in Italy between 9th and 10th grades in 1996. Back then people thought it was cool and asked what we liked best about the US. If I were to go back there now, I'd be afraid that they'd hold something against me in many of the countries because of everything he has done from the war in Iraq (justified or not, we DID go in without the UN) and for taking us out of the nuclear test ban and environmental treaties.

Because of how far he has set the rest of the world back due to a complete disregard for the environment, I, at age 22, set out and have purchased a 2004 Toyota Prius, simply so I can go and do MY PART to undo what the current top official in my nation has done. I ask you to consider gas-electric hybrids along the line as a short term solution that can hopefully lead to a hydrogen fuel cell infrastructure. If we can't fix it with brand new technology NOW, let's AT LEAST minimize the damage as much as we can...NOW.

The Sierra Club has a goal of making 40mpg the MINIMUM for all new cars within, I believe it to be 10 years. While that may be a very high goal, I would hope we could at least go in the middle and set a minimum number of 28-33. These vehicles on the road that barely or don't even get 10mpg (8mpg in the case of the Hummer) These vehicles do absolutely nothing to benefit the driver (how many H2's have you seen covered in mud from a day of offroading?), the environment, OR the rest of the American people. If we're trying to distance ourselves from foreign oil, we need to make what we DO receive last as long as possible. 8mpg does NOT accomplish that.

With Bush in power, am I still proud to be an American, as I was for the 8 years in which Bill Clinton was the charismatic and well-balanced President of my country? Yes, but not nearly as much.

I'm voting for you Mr. Kerry, because I truly believe you will bring a new attitude toward this country, and get it back to the "good ol' days" I remember of 1993-2001. I'm voting for you, because you believe in long AND short term solutions to a LOT of important issues in this country. The environment, social security and homeland security to name just a few. I'm voting for you, because I dread to think how much worse we'd be after ANOTHER four years of the same administration.

Mr. Kerry, I'm only 22, and only one voice, but I will do everything I can to support you and make your goals known to my friends, coworkers and family. I believe in you, and the America you want to bring BACK to the world stage.

My most sincere blessings and good luck wishes! If anyone can do it, you can!

Brad Willey
Long Beach, CA (Everett, WA after 9/5/04)

*On a slight sidenote, I told myself I would never put a bumper sticker on my car, but once I send this email, I'm going to order a couple! I trust in you and what you can do to revitalize the nation THAT MUCH!*

·
Registered
7 Posts
I appreciate your fervor and passion for our country. Right on! I felt the same way in '72 when I whole-heartedly supported McGovern and then again in '76 when I threw my support behind Jimma' and once more in '80 when the dreaded, evil bozo....Reagan ran against Mondull. It's funny how this happens and everyone thinks they are immune, but people tend to gradually think for themselves as they grow older. That usually translates into smoothing off the fuzzy, blindly compassionate corners of youthful idealism and replaces it with a more realistic (and more conservative) vantage point. We realize that life is hard, very hard for everyone, not just minorities, that sometimes might does make right. that the cold-hearted welfare reform promoted by Republicans in the '90s and signed by Clinton did work to get people off of welfare, raise their self esteem as a viable individuals and give them hope for more than a life of handouts. Example: I hated Reagan, thought he was dangerous, thought he was a dummy (btw, there are alot of different kinds of intelligence...he had great instincts and an old school type of intelligence....definitely not the Ivy League type), but his dealing with a problem (Cold War) instead of passing it on made him a leader to be respected. All I'm saying is that sometimes the route to success isn't always as easy and seemingly obvious as our rose colored glasses would make it out to be. I'm proud to be an American and I'm proud of you for your passion and involvement even though we will be cancelling out each other's vote in November. Good luck to you. (BTW, Bush does misspeak, that's not news....obviously he meant that he doesn't quit thinking about the terrorists wanting to slice our heads off....)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Why would such a literate and otherwise bright seeming lad seize so fervently onto what was clearly a slight defect in English speach presentation? Surely no intelligent person would actually believe any president at any time would actually feel that way. Freudian slip? Hardly! To try to make more of it than it was is infantile. It was a slip of the tongue and as humorous as it was, not a revelation of dark and sinister intent. IF you scrutinize every words someone speaks, eventually most will make a slip. Kerry is no exception as neither are we.

Pretty funny stuff. It is the job of the Leno's of the world to make us laugh and presentatiion of this material for a chuckle is not a bad thing. To try to make a federal case out of it and imbue it with great importance is to point out the lack of perspective often observed in youth. If yo truly think this is a big deal it only proves you haven't seen much.

GET OUT THE VOTE!!!! Now there is a noble and much higher calling than the childish clinging to a slip of the lip. I'm sure the Kerry camp were amused by thte letter. Please publish there reply.

:D Pat :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
patrickg - bradca21 is only 22. When I was that age I was young and stupid too. We all learn. You get out in the real world and end up in that 10% paying 85-90% of the taxes (all a while the other 90% are saying they pay to much taxes for the 10% they contribute).

I am not sure if Bush really made this statement or not, but if he did I think you would find anyone hard pressed to believe he intentionally would want to hurt Americans.

By this I would exclude those individuals that simply 'need' a reason to hate him and will look for any reason to satisfy that same 'need'. It looks like bradca21 may fit in that category right now, but again, he is young and has plenty of time.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Prius & Politics

I read this board for the Prius info, not for political bashing; so I don't want to take sides. But, I agree with PatrickG:

Jay Leno is an entertainer that exploits the news for humorous sound bites. I certainly wouldn't make any political decisions based on a couple of sentences by a candidate or political figure that were taken out of context.

You might have heard the clip of Ronald Reagan's statement when they were doing a microphone test during equipment setup:

"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."

And, a few others that were not intended to be taken seriously:

"I never drink coffee at lunch. I find it keeps me awake for the afternoon."

"I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting."

"What makes him think a middle aged actor (Clint Eastwood), who's played with a chimp, could have a future in politics?"

Should these statements have altered the vote -- I hope not...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright... SO...

Rather than sit on the sidelines and let people in essence call me a juvenile dumbass, I think I'll respond.

Yes, I made a remark about a possible freudian slip, BUT I also mentioned that
has absolutely HORRIBLE speech writers OR
it was a freudian slip.
I THEN stated:
With everything Bush has done to alienate the rest of the world, his comments, although they may be completely incidental, are quite true.
I then went on to mention examples of this such as backing out of political treaties meant to help the environment by reducing greenhouse gases and others that allow the US to continue nuclear tests.

For someone that thinks I'm nitpicking, you sure didn't read every word of my statement. But I guess it's a lot harder to belittle an individual as though they aren't there when you actually READ what he said.

In all fairness and to perhaps shut you two the ______ up, AOL's statement about that clip is:
"The Dumbest Thing He Could Have Said
'Leno' captures quite possibly the best and most disturbing of the President's 'Bushisms'

Regarding a microphone test? The president is in front of stationary microphones (podium mounted) at what appears to be a press conference or part of his campaign in front of what I believe are a couple of the official US military's flags (one is red and one is white) There is no one that he is leaning into the ear of, and he is moving his head back and forth as most speakers do, so they can make eye contact with, and therefor connect with their listeners.

I clipped a bunch of the first couple paragraphs and quoted them in this reply. So you don't think I'm taking my statement out of context to defend myself, here is a direct quote of myself in the original post:

He either has absolutely HORRIBLE speech writers OR this was the most telling Freudian slip of the 21st century. With everything Bush has done to alienate the rest of the world, his comments, although they may be completely incidental, are quite true.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Bradca - I think it just comes down to whether you want to lower yourslef to a politicians level. I can't think of anything more degrading to our countries image than the way our political parties act towards one another, and unfortunately that filters down to the followers all to often.

I will catch myself doing it from time to time and then have to give myself a black eye!

With that said, I have always been in favor of less government, too much money is wasted by a poorly run government to let them continue to gain more services. Don't get me wrong, it is poorly run whether it has been done so by Republicans or Democrats. So the less money involved, the better.

·
Registered
186 Posts
bradca21 said:
VOTE.

Leno apparently presented this clip in which "(His) hand to God, they did not doctor this tape in any way"

With Bush in power, am I still proud to be an American, as I was for the 8 years in which Bill Clinton was the charismatic and well-balanced President of my country? Yes, but not nearly as much.

I'm voting for you Mr. Kerry, because I truly believe you will bring a new attitude toward this country, and get it back to the "good ol' days" I remember of 1993-2001. I'm voting for you, because you believe in long AND short term solutions to a LOT of important issues in this country. The environment, social security and homeland security to name just a few. I'm voting for you, because I dread to think how much worse we'd be after ANOTHER four years of the same administration.

Mr. Kerry, I'm only 22, and only one voice, but I will do everything I can to support you and make your goals known to my friends, coworkers and family. I believe in you, and the America you want to bring BACK to the world stage.

Brad Willey
Long Beach, CA (Everett, WA after 9/5/04)
I will vote. For Bush.
Leno is a comedian you know.
Slick had so much charisma that he had an intern blow him in the oval office. Yes, sir, old slick is smooth and well balanced alright.
Current administration is not perfect, none are, but at 22, you know no other as an adult.
I will vote for Kerry if he finds me a woman worth 1 BILLION to marry. Ever wonder how Kerry has married twice and both times they were loaded with dough? It speaks of his character.
Kerry's new attitude is tax, tax, tax, but it isn't really new.
His long term goals, short term goals, are just you believing the liberal press, you may figure things out by 30.
Do you think it is rigt for those that got educated, worked hard, and prospered, to be overly taxed to provide things to those who flaked out and failed to take advantage of the same opportunities?
Teddy & John Kerry have been on easy street their whole lives(as has GWB), why do you fall for the hype?
All I can say is GWB sucks, Kerry sucks more.

·
Registered
515 Posts
> Kerry's new attitude is tax, tax, tax, but it isn't really new.

When Clinton was in office, we had a national surplus for the first time in over 40 years. Just a few years later under the new administration, we have the worst deficit of all time... a third of which is the direct result of tax breaks. Keeping those existing taxes in place could have prevented that. Now it is going to appear as though restoring them is the creation of new taxes. Dang politics!

·
Registered
186 Posts
john1701a said:
> Kerry's new attitude is tax, tax, tax, but it isn't really new.
When Clinton was in office, we had a national surplus for the first time in over 40 years. Just a few years later under the new administration, we have the worst deficit of all time... a third of which is the direct result of tax breaks. Keeping those existing taxes in place could have prevented that. Now it is going to appear as though restoring them is the creation of new taxes. Dang politics!
War causes that, doesn't it? I didn't say slick wasn't smart, but don't ever try to make me believe he isn't trash. If I were a dem, I'd at least admit the man is moral trash. As for taxes, balance the budget another way, tax rates are high enough. Those existing taxes were wrong. Ever get a job from a poor man? Kerry and dems want to put too much on the backs of business. Like Kerry or Teddy have ever run their own business. How can the tax break cause anything? haven't you heard Dean say there is no tax break? you guys can't have it both ways. Why don't we stop the freeloading and NOT raise taxes, how about that for an idea?

·
Registered
188 Posts
John, you can argue til your blue whether it was the current administration or the previous administration that resulted in the Surplus. Economics professors will typically argue that it was the previous administration, but there some that believe like you.

But one of the largest increases of technical [email protected] and increase of jobs happened while Reagan was in office promoting private business with tax breaks.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Justice said:
patrickg - bradca21 is only 22. When I was that age I was young and stupid too. We all learn. You get out in the real world and end up in that 10% paying 85-90% of the taxes (all a while the other 90% are saying they pay to much taxes for the 10% they contribute).

I am not sure if Bush really made this statement or not, but if he did I think you would find anyone hard pressed to believe he intentionally would want to hurt Americans.

By this I would exclude those individuals that simply 'need' a reason to hate him and will look for any reason to satisfy that same 'need'. It looks like bradca21 may fit in that category right now, but again, he is young and has plenty of time.

It's been well covered in the news. news.google.com has well over 160 stories about it. Here are a few:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm ... _page.html
http://www.fox23news.com/news/national/ ... 7BC65FEDC0
http://www.nbc6.net/politics/3620605/detail.html
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/artic ... t_himself/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3541706.stm

I'm certain that if I kept looking I'd find video/audio of the speech.

·
Registered
186 Posts
mrv said:
Gee, GWB said something corny again? big surprise, next he'll choke on a pretzel and pass out, oh wait, he already did that. So what, he's a bit dorky, big deal.

Who was it that said, "medals, ribbons, same thing". These guys are all human, rich, and spoiled too. None of them live in the real world or have a clue about having a difficult life. I think it's funny how people get passionate over the race for the next President as if any of the candidates really know what is going on in the average Americans life.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Egads! It's here too!

I saw this post on PriusChat and wondered why on earth is there a political discussion going on in a Prius forum? Bush/Kerry bashing is IRRELEVANT. I personally wouldn't want to vote for EITHER of them, although I am more afraid of what Kerry (the waffleman) and his plantiff's attorney sidekick will do to this country. That last comment is inappropriate here as well. I found that there IS an appropriate place for these off topic discussions on priuschat, Fred's House of Pancakes. Is there also an appropriate place on PriusOnline for these discussions? All I'm here for is to learn about my new car, not talk politics! If I want to get pissed off, I know other places to go!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yah, we should have a generic "free for all" area here too. Both Yahoo and Edmunds have went that route too... since total elimination never really works. Gotta vent somewhere.

There are unfortunately, quite a few instances where politics have directly impacted the success of hybrids... all of which fall on the current administration (since that's when they became available).

So finding an appropriate way to share the facts (actual detail!), rather than sneak in a cheap shot would be a helpful resource.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I really do not care about the moronic things that W says. What frightens me are the moronic, belligerent things he does and the criminals and fascists he puts in high government offices.

When he reads a prepared speech (written by a paid professional speech writer) he does okay. But when he has to speak for himself it becomes clear that he just does not understand what's going on around him, and that, too, is frightening. It's not the slips. Those could just be a speech impediment. It's the evident stupidity of the man!

·
Registered
515 Posts
If people are looking for a news sources that don't hold back with their commentaries and allow for lengthy reports, listen to the regular broadcast of NPR radio.

And if you want a world perspective from outside the United States with commentary of how they view our domestic political situation, listen to the late night broadcast of BBC news on NPR radio. The way they discuss the ugliness in Iraq and our disappointing environmental stance recently is really an eye-opener... kind of sad too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
John, do you want to list any other left (pubic radio and TV) to extreme left (bbc) stations people should listen to for unbiased opinions?

·
Registered
59 Posts
See what I mean?

Political discussions have no place on these forums, IMHO.
People just get all pissed off. There is no way any commentary on this board will change anyone's mind regarding Bush, Kerry, or any other politician. I'm just a rookie here, but sheesh! Stay on target people....

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Stay on target, indeed. I promise I will do my best.

Peace through strength, I say. Without security of the homeland, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. The Founding Fathers understood this. That's why it is part of the United States Constitution.

It's also why we have the 2nd ammendment.

For those reasons, I will never vote for somebody who is weak on defense. I believe Senator Kerry is weak on defense.

God, I would love to ignore this thread. The angst of the left is just so thick, I could cut it with a knife! It's not even pleasant to have the discussion. But this is FAR FAR too important for me to "scroll on." I can't fall down on my responsibility to my family, my friends, and yes, even the American people. It is the only reason I am posting in this thread.

Please remember that these militant, extremist, Muslim groups (not all Muslims, mind you) have stated that their goal is the ELIMINATION of the United States. That sounds pretty non-negotiable to me, and it sure does sound like a declaration of War if ever there was one.

Defense of the homeland is the President's #1 responsibility. And so far, he has quite a lot to show for his efforts to date: NO MAJOR TERRORIST ATTACKS ON US SOIL SINCE 9/11/01. Yes, we could have one between now and the election in November. They sure would like to hit us where it hurts. They would like nothing better than to make us run scared and appease them like prior Presidents (Carter, Clinton) have done.

I seem to remember that the defense of the homeland is also the Congress' #1 responsibility. Well, golly-be...there it is, right in the US Constitution! Will surprises never cease?

Why then, has Senator Kerry missed over 85% of the votes in the Senate? When he has deigned to honor us all with his presence, he has voted against programs to fund weapons systems such as the stealth bomber, patriot missles, and other systems that would help protect our soldiers in combat.

Now he has the stones to say that we didn't put enough resources in Iraq? What, he wanted more people with less equipment on the ground in Iraq? That's the best that I can figure, in the face of his Senate voting record. And to me, that makes him unfit for command.

I wonder, is he shirking his duty so that nobody can use his Senate voting record against him in the upcoming election? Or is it just because he's been too busy skeet-shooting, and water skiing? If it were a scheduling matter, what with the campaign and all, I think he should probably relinquish his Senate seat so that somebody else can attend to his duties; to the duties and business and self-defense of the United States of America.

But I think people are getting wise. Kerry can't even get 50% of the crowds that George W. Bush speaks to. Kerry got no "bump" during the Democratic national convention. In fact, he even lost voters. That hasn't happened since McGovern! Interest in him is tepid, to say the least.

In fact, the only time Kerry's poll numbers go up, is when he goes on vacation, and when he takes his loudmouth, cheeky wife with him. What's THAT all about? What does it say about him?

But polls are just polls. The one that counts is in November. We'll see.

In the meantime, I'll just put it this way:

Sorry, folks; I cannot in good conscience vote for somebody who is WEAK on defense. And Senator Kerry is WEAK on defense. That's not supposition, that's not guessing. He has proven his WEAKNESS with his voting record in the Senate.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts