Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well so far everything is going great with the car, down to half a tank with 260 miles so far and 52.4mpg average, which I'm most impressed with.

Anyway, tonight on my drive back from the mall I was coasting a fair bit on a 30mph road to get my 100mpg so I could get my average up, and all was going great, I then turned off towards my road, still coasting (did same trip yesterday all 100mpg) but this time it was registering as either 25 or sometimes up to 50 and 75, but wouldn't do it battery alone......hmmmm strange as I always coast on the couple of roads right before my house. Any ideas as to why this happened?

Thanks for your info
Jenn

·
Registered
117 Posts
What was your SOC (State of Charge)? I would venture to say it was low and the computer wanted to charge the battery, so rather than let you run on just electric it decided to run the ICE at a low level to charge the battery.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I've noticed that the system seems to have moods... sometimes it seems to lean towards going EV, and sometimes it seems to lean towards charging...

I wonder if there's some cycle that it follows rather than always aiming for an SOC of ..say... exactly 60% it does a bit of a drift on the target ideal...

something like:

and so on...

Anyone else notice this behavior?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm, didn't even look at that screen just the mpg screen, but definitely sounds like a good theory as to why it was doing this, I notice it does the same things until it has had a chance to warm up when I first drive, so probably the same reason as to why it did it last night, as I was using it for a while just on the electric motor.

Thanks so much for your quick response's.
Jenn

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well I do notice if I'm coasting or in EV mode for a long time, that if I turn the engine on just to accelerate a bit, then coast, the engine wouldn't turn off. I presume something's not up to temperature even though I know that particular stretch of road can be done without the engine on. It happens sometimes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great to know that it's the car being most intelligent and doing what's best for the electric motor....we have such great cars, I just can't stop boasting to people about mine :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Well I do notice if I'm coasting or in EV mode for a long time, that if I turn the engine on just to accelerate a bit, then coast, the engine wouldn't turn off. I presume something's not up to temperature even though I know that particular stretch of road can be done without the engine on. It happens sometimes.
I second that totally. Its the same way for me on a certain stretch of road thats about 2.5 miles that I usually stealth all the way down, but as you said, when you use the engine for just a second, its on for the rest of the time. Usually this is only in the morning on this road though, during the day I think they heat helps it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you are coasting for quite a while it is possible that the system has cooled to the point that it wants to run to bring itself back up to temperature for emissions control purposes. I have noticed the same thing in my '02 as far as EV useage -- it is usually related to the fact that the battery is low and when you finally kick over the ICE it wants to run to bring the SOC back up.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
melgish said:
I've noticed that the system seems to have moods... sometimes it seems to lean towards going EV, and sometimes it seems to lean towards charging...

I wonder if there's some cycle that it follows rather than always aiming for an SOC of ..say... exactly 60% it does a bit of a drift on the target ideal...

something like:

and so on...

Anyone else notice this behavior?
Yes, I see it being 'moody' too. I believe it will favor more electric power (thus better mileage) if the SOC is on the high end or above 6 bars.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Keep a chocolate bar (preferably a really gooooood brand) in the glove box. That helps with the moodiness. ;)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sanny said:
Keep a chocolate bar (preferably a really gooooood brand) in the glove box. That helps with the moodiness. ;)
Good advice...but won't it melt?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
melgish said:
Sanny said:
Sanny does when offered chocolate.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hep said:
melgish said:
Sanny said:
Sanny does when offered chocolate.
You don't have to tell ALL my secrets!! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts