Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still on the 'dealer supplied' tank of gas.

The odo reads about 330ish miles. The MFD shows an average of 49.5 (based on 330ish - 16 because I hit reset at 16 to see *what* it reset)

So reversing the math, I've used 6.6ish gal. But I only have 3 pips lit on the fuel guage.

It's almost exactly 75 miles to get home... Will I make it?

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daniel said:
But why push your luck? A cautious person will fill up as soon as the last bar starts to blink.
My own short sightedness. I work in Altamonte Springs, FL and gas may not be easy to find today due to 'localized shortages' caused by power outages, and hurricane damage.

As for the fill-up, It may be safe to assume the dealer jammed as much in as they could, since I got nearly 100 miles from the first pip at about the same average.

About 55 miles will put me in Coccoa, where gas should be more readily available.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ehurtley said:
...before I chickened out and filled up (at 397 miles on the ODO...
I think in that situation I would have driven doughnuts around the pumps for 3 miles :)

Well, I was showing someone the car at lunch, and it turns out I've got 4 pips, not 3, so I'm going to risk the run to Coccoa (at least) rather than hunt for an open station. Since I'm heading for the coast, it's technically down hill :p

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Trip Home!

It was a beautiful sunnay day in post-apocalyptic Altamonte Springs when I set out for home, 4 pips on the fuel guage. Merging onto I-4 Westbound (about 2 miles from P.O.D.) brought me to 3 pips, and a check-engine light.

"Oh Rats!" I exclaimed as I shut off A/C, and Audio and listened for the dreaded sound of an engine tearing itself to bits. Little more than the sound of passing cars reached my ears, as I summoned "Information View" from the MFD. The engine is running, no vibration at the wheel, no strange hums... I grew curioius.

I drove on thinking about what it could be. I thought of http://www.PriusOnline.com, of the kindred spirits, and the countless words of wisdom I've purveyed over the last few weeks. Thinking it could be a glitch, I pulled over on the side-ramp at Ivanhoe Blvd, hazzard lights a flashing. A quick 'reboot' confirmed that the warning light was no illusion.

Worried for my hungry children waiting at home, and my spouse, still hospitalized in far away Melbourne, I reluctantly headed for the East-West Expressway. Apprehention grew in the cockpit as I hit heavy traffic and the minutes ticked by. The hateful light continued to stare back at me with it's hungry melevolence shining in it's deep amber color. I thought to myself, "If only I knew where the nearest dealership was, I'd head there and end this unbearable stress."

My gaze fell upon the MFD... "Eureka!" I cried as my fingers quickly tapped Menu / Emergency / Dealership / Replace and a friendly, etherial voice told me to "take the next exit, then right"

For the next several minutes--minutes which seemed like hours--I followed the divine guidance to Toyota of Orlando. Portable generators rumbled as I pulled into the service bay, and waitied in line.

While wating, a bystander asked me about my Ride. "No, I calmly told her, you don't need to plug it in at night. The gas engine takes care of everything." We exchanged other pleasantries and I introduced her to my personal angel of guidance.

As the afternoon's inevitible rain storm rolled in, Brandy-- the cute blonde haired service technician--approcached my car. "Help Me!" I pleaded. She smiled pleasantly, and spoke assuring words as she took my name, and my fob.

While waiting on the diagnosis, I spent my time in the swealtering parts shop requesting acceccories that don't yet exist. My time there was short however, for Brandy soon returned. I could tell by the sadness in her eyes that there was trouble. She explained that my Ride had a faulty OH-TWO Sensor, and none could be found.

Since her information indicated it was safe to continue my journey to Melbourne, and since there is a dealership there, which may have the mystical T089465-47070 which I've been quested to seek, I set out on the final leg of my journey.

I headed back to the road. By the numbers 408,417,528. Turning south on I-95 and seeing three pips still aglow, I risked the A/C while I called Toyota of Melbourne to plead my case. "I know just what you need", the service man cried, "but the cupboard is bare. I'll have one tomorrow, so do not dispair!"

Sadly, but hopeful, I continued my wayward trek. With a sigh, I at last pulled my Ride into it's nest. There, to my surprise I still had 2 pips a glow, with 50.6 AMPG and 424 miles.

But what will the future bring. How soon will my Ride ride free again?

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A Happy Ending?

Well, I got the O2 sensor replaced. After 15 minutes of waiting by my car like the sign said, I went inside Toyota of Melbourne and shouted to get their attention. These guys have no concept of customer service.

Also (finally) refuled for the first time. Had 1 solid pip left.

ODO = 448 miles
MFD = 50.7 MPG

Added 9.449 gallons
1 Tank Calc = 47.41

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, I know the variance will work itself out over multiple tanks. I got 52.1 on the way in today, but I figure that's still going to be atypical since I'm still driving in the high 60's instead of the low 70's due to the break in period.

I'm more concerned about Toy of M. As I figure it, I'll be seeing them every 6 weeks or so. I really did have to go inside and shout to get noticed. This was not a good first impression.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.