Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still on the 'dealer supplied' tank of gas.

The odo reads about 330ish miles. The MFD shows an average of 49.5 (based on 330ish - 16 because I hit reset at 16 to see *what* it reset)

So reversing the math, I've used 6.6ish gal. But I only have 3 pips lit on the fuel guage.

It's almost exactly 75 miles to get home... Will I make it?

·
Registered
623 Posts
John1701a says the safe assumption is that you have 9 usable gallons tank capacity if the tank was filled until the pump shut off. However, you do not know for sure that your dealer filled it all the way.

Some folks have said they got 1.5 gallons after the last bar on the gauge started to blink, but others have reported less, and I read one report of someone who ran out of gas very soon after the bar started to blink, so there seems to be some variation between units.

With 3 bars showing and 75 miles to go and a tank average of 49.5, you should be able to make it. But why push your luck? A cautious person will fill up as soon as the last bar starts to blink. If your trip home goes through an area where gas stations are few and far between, I'd fill up before you start. Do you really need to prove something on your first tankful? Especially when you don't even know if it was over-filled, underfilled, or filled normally?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daniel said:
But why push your luck? A cautious person will fill up as soon as the last bar starts to blink.
My own short sightedness. I work in Altamonte Springs, FL and gas may not be easy to find today due to 'localized shortages' caused by power outages, and hurricane damage.

As for the fill-up, It may be safe to assume the dealer jammed as much in as they could, since I got nearly 100 miles from the first pip at about the same average.

About 55 miles will put me in Coccoa, where gas should be more readily available.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Well, the dealer seemed to short me. My fuel gauge also read 'full' for more than 100 miles, but I got the 'out of gas' warning at only about 380 miles. I risked it and drove about another 20 miles (I really wanted to get at least 400 miles on my first tank dammit!) before I chickened out and filled up (at 397 miles on the ODO, they filled it at 2 or 3, so I got about 395 miles.) By my math, I only got 41 mpg on the dealer tank. (The MFD said 44.6)

For my second tank, I went 426 miles, and it hadn't even started blinking/beeping at me yet. By my math, I got 45.87 mpg, while the MFD said 45.8. So I think I got short-changed with the dealer fill.

(P.S. Yesterday I drove the most miles since pickup, 86, in about 75% major city road traffic, 35-45 mph, stopping every 1-3 minutes, depending on traffic signals, and got over 50mpg for the day! The MFD read 49.9 mpg at the beginning of the day, and 50.2 at the end. My best day so far was 8 miles of fairly stop-free 35-40 mph driving on large, signal-less city streets, for 56 mpg. My worst day was 13 miles of freeway and VERY hilly city driving, for a dismal 36.7 mpg. Wait, only a Prius owner would call 36mpg dismal! I have since figured out how to drive in that same hilly area and get 45mpg.)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ehurtley said:
...before I chickened out and filled up (at 397 miles on the ODO...
I think in that situation I would have driven doughnuts around the pumps for 3 miles :)

Well, I was showing someone the car at lunch, and it turns out I've got 4 pips, not 3, so I'm going to risk the run to Coccoa (at least) rather than hunt for an open station. Since I'm heading for the coast, it's technically down hill :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
My First Fill Up

yesterday I got down to just one bar (around 428 miles) so I went for my
first fill up. I had pumped 10.30 gallons and it had started to sound kind of gurgly but I never felt the auto shut off happen . I just stopped it because I was afraid of the overfill spilling problem and I couldn't imagine it taking much more than that with a full bar left. It had just changed from 2 bars to one yesterday a.m., and it never started blinking yet.
anyway, I was expecting about 41 to 42mpg and that's about what I got on my first tank.
hoping to do better with time, but the a/c is battling 100+ degrees so I'm
sure things will improve with time and temps
still way happy with 40+ and around town we get less with the hills and short trips for sure. was doing 47 on the hwy even going 70mph

·
Registered
20 Posts
The first pip

I filled up the first time when the last pip was not yet blinking and I got 12 gallons into the tank. (it overflowed all over the new car at 12.05 gallons)

The first pip dropped after 180.6 miles (highway miles at over 75 miles per hour)

I think the bladder comes into play after the pump has automatically stopped. I pumped over 2.5 gallons after the autostop.

FYI

thats all

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: The first pip

Prius friends,
Your fuel tank only holds 11.9 gallons, so, even if you think you can squeeze in a little more gas, it's probably a good idea to stop pumping well before you reach 12 gallons. :)
I'm curious about your reports that you can add 10, 11, or even 12 gallons before the low fuel indicator has come on. My car's indicator comes on consistantly with 2.5 to 3 gallons left in the tank. In your situation I would pay very close attention to determine exactly when my indicator was coming on and, if necessary, ask my dealer to re-calibrate the gauge. Running out of gas in a Prius is not a good thing.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Trip Home!

It was a beautiful sunnay day in post-apocalyptic Altamonte Springs when I set out for home, 4 pips on the fuel guage. Merging onto I-4 Westbound (about 2 miles from P.O.D.) brought me to 3 pips, and a check-engine light.

"Oh Rats!" I exclaimed as I shut off A/C, and Audio and listened for the dreaded sound of an engine tearing itself to bits. Little more than the sound of passing cars reached my ears, as I summoned "Information View" from the MFD. The engine is running, no vibration at the wheel, no strange hums... I grew curioius.

I drove on thinking about what it could be. I thought of http://www.PriusOnline.com, of the kindred spirits, and the countless words of wisdom I've purveyed over the last few weeks. Thinking it could be a glitch, I pulled over on the side-ramp at Ivanhoe Blvd, hazzard lights a flashing. A quick 'reboot' confirmed that the warning light was no illusion.

Worried for my hungry children waiting at home, and my spouse, still hospitalized in far away Melbourne, I reluctantly headed for the East-West Expressway. Apprehention grew in the cockpit as I hit heavy traffic and the minutes ticked by. The hateful light continued to stare back at me with it's hungry melevolence shining in it's deep amber color. I thought to myself, "If only I knew where the nearest dealership was, I'd head there and end this unbearable stress."

My gaze fell upon the MFD... "Eureka!" I cried as my fingers quickly tapped Menu / Emergency / Dealership / Replace and a friendly, etherial voice told me to "take the next exit, then right"

For the next several minutes--minutes which seemed like hours--I followed the divine guidance to Toyota of Orlando. Portable generators rumbled as I pulled into the service bay, and waitied in line.

While wating, a bystander asked me about my Ride. "No, I calmly told her, you don't need to plug it in at night. The gas engine takes care of everything." We exchanged other pleasantries and I introduced her to my personal angel of guidance.

As the afternoon's inevitible rain storm rolled in, Brandy-- the cute blonde haired service technician--approcached my car. "Help Me!" I pleaded. She smiled pleasantly, and spoke assuring words as she took my name, and my fob.

While waiting on the diagnosis, I spent my time in the swealtering parts shop requesting acceccories that don't yet exist. My time there was short however, for Brandy soon returned. I could tell by the sadness in her eyes that there was trouble. She explained that my Ride had a faulty OH-TWO Sensor, and none could be found.

Since her information indicated it was safe to continue my journey to Melbourne, and since there is a dealership there, which may have the mystical T089465-47070 which I've been quested to seek, I set out on the final leg of my journey.

I headed back to the road. By the numbers 408,417,528. Turning south on I-95 and seeing three pips still aglow, I risked the A/C while I called Toyota of Melbourne to plead my case. "I know just what you need", the service man cried, "but the cupboard is bare. I'll have one tomorrow, so do not dispair!"

Sadly, but hopeful, I continued my wayward trek. With a sigh, I at last pulled my Ride into it's nest. There, to my surprise I still had 2 pips a glow, with 50.6 AMPG and 424 miles.

But what will the future bring. How soon will my Ride ride free again?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Happy Ending?

Well, I got the O2 sensor replaced. After 15 minutes of waiting by my car like the sign said, I went inside Toyota of Melbourne and shouted to get their attention. These guys have no concept of customer service.

Also (finally) refuled for the first time. Had 1 solid pip left.

ODO = 448 miles
MFD = 50.7 MPG

Added 9.449 gallons
1 Tank Calc = 47.41

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
That's not a bad first tank!

Don't fret the MFD-to-math-deviation. I get that all the time. Depending on how you drive, that deviation could rise or narrow. With time and practice, you'll get the feel for how far you can go on a tank, based on how fast the "pips" drop, and at what mileage points.

I usually get between 120 and 140 miles before the first pip drops. And if I can get past 250 by the time it drops below halfway, I know I'm doing very well.

One time, I almost got to 480 miles when it dropped to two pips. I was able to go 90-some-odd miles before it dropped to the last pip, after which, I decided to fill up. And it only took about 10 gallons.

You'll see that mileage figure rise as you put more miles on her, and as you get better at driving for mileage (if that is one of your objectives, that is).

Welcome to the owners' circle, and good luck!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I know the variance will work itself out over multiple tanks. I got 52.1 on the way in today, but I figure that's still going to be atypical since I'm still driving in the high 60's instead of the low 70's due to the break in period.

I'm more concerned about Toy of M. As I figure it, I'll be seeing them every 6 weeks or so. I really did have to go inside and shout to get noticed. This was not a good first impression.

Cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Daniel said:
John1701a says the safe assumption is that you have 9 usable gallons tank capacity if the tank was filled until the pump shut off. However, you do not know for sure that your dealer filled it all the way.

Some folks have said they got 1.5 gallons after the last bar on the gauge started to blink, but others have reported less, and I read one report of someone who ran out of gas very soon after the bar started to blink, so there seems to be some variation between units.

With 3 bars showing and 75 miles to go and a tank average of 49.5, you should be able to make it. But why push your luck? A cautious person will fill up as soon as the last bar starts to blink. If your trip home goes through an area where gas stations are few and far between, I'd fill up before you start. Do you really need to prove something on your first tankful? Especially when you don't even know if it was over-filled, underfilled, or filled normally?
Daniel, I quite agree with you. Maybe it is a male-female difference: but I have done a lot of cross country driving over the years and I have learned the hard way to "fill-up" at the half-way point. Saves a lot of chest pains while looking furtively looking for a gas station in a barren wasteland....

By the way, I am not certain why a lot of folks want to get 400 miles out of each fill up. I fill up around 235 (1/2 way) and I get pretty consistent 50MPG. Of course, it pays to be "addicted" to the "consumption screen." When I ignore it, and drive "normally, my MPG drops a tad....

I love everyone's comments AND all of your wonderful tips and help! Happy Prius driving! :D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
karenann said:
By the way, I am not certain why a lot of folks want to get 400 miles out of each fill up. I fill up around 235 (1/2 way) and I get pretty consistent 50MPG. Of course, it pays to be "addicted" to the "consumption screen." When I ignore it, and drive "normally", my MPG drops a tad....
For me, it's the psychological factor of hitting a number that very few other cars *CAN* hit. Very few cars can go 400 miles on one tank of gas, much less a less-than-ten-gallons tank. Yeah, it makes no appreciable affect on mileage (although because the car is carrying ~60 fewer pounds, it should get SLIGHTLY higher mileage toward the end of the tank, like maybe 1mpg,) but it's a milestone. (Kind of like running under a 10-minute mile for me, it's an arbitrary achievement, but it's still an achievement.) I still am waiting to hit the mythic 500 miles on a single tank. (I thought I was going to do it this last tank, but the last 2 gallons sucked, lots of hills, and more aggressive driving.)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I will fill up anytime it gets to 3 bars or less and I know I will be busy or travelling. You're right, there's no sense in "pushing it."

However, it IS kind of neat to be able to tell my SUV-driving buddies at work that I went 500-something-odd-miles before filling up, and that it costed something-less-than-$20 to fill up. That's always an eye-opener, maybe even moreso than being able to say I get 50, 55, or whatever MPG. People understand things in different ways. Sometimes using different language helps them to understand what you're trying to say.

It's my opinion that few people really have a good understanding of MPG. Yeah, everybody knows what it is, but not many people REALLY UNDERSTAND it, and what it means to them in real-world terms. Until they really understand it, it's all just another "story problem" (remember those?). Few people take the time to calculate MPG, and even then, most only calculate it when they're on a family vacation or some other highway-only driving trip. What good is the knowledge if you only pay attention to it at certain times, and never when it's not in your favor?

Is it denial? Poor education? I don't know, but whatever it is, I think it's a potentially dangerous type of ignorance.

And, as the economist Dr. Walter E. Williams likes to say, I'm just trying to push back the frontiers of ignorance, one person at a time! :D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
ehurtley said:
For me, it's the psychological factor of hitting a number that very few other cars *CAN* hit.
I still am waiting to hit the mythic 500 miles on a single tank.
Amen to the first statement above!

And as for the second, I am here to assure you that 500 miles on a single tank is no myth! I went 577 miles on a single tank of gas at the end of July. Here's my car's entries in the Greenhybrid mileage database...scroll down to July 31st: http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mile ... hp?cid=196

Because it only took slightly more than 10 gallons upon fillup, I calculated that I may have been able to drive as much as 620 to 640 miles had I not filled up at the moment I did.

·
Registered
248 Posts
karenann said:
Daniel said:

Daniel, I quite agree with you. Maybe it is a male-female difference: but I have done a lot of cross country driving over the years and I have learned the hard way to "fill-up" at the half-way point. Saves a lot of chest pains while looking furtively looking for a gas station in a barren wasteland....

By the way, I am not certain why a lot of folks want to get 400 miles out of each fill up. I fill up around 235 (1/2 way) and I get pretty consistent 50MPG. Of course, it pays to be "addicted" to the "consumption screen." When I ignore it, and drive "normally, my MPG drops a tad....

I love everyone's comments AND all of your wonderful tips and help! Happy Prius driving! :D
Who :shock: I think you have had a moment of incite. This is a XX vrs XY thing. Hunting vrs Gathering. What ever, but non the less true.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just fueled up for the first time (3 "pips" left) and couldn't fiqure out how to reset the Trip -

I know there is a button but I'm not sure how to reset after I push it - I used it to stop the backup beeping and goodness knows I don't want to bring that noise back into my life - is there an easy way to reset after refueling?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Shepan said:
I just fueled up for the first time (3 "pips" left) and couldn't fiqure out how to reset the Trip -

I know there is a button but I'm not sure how to reset after I push it - I used it to stop the backup beeping and goodness knows I don't want to bring that noise back into my life - is there an easy way to reset after refueling?
push it to select which trip you want to reset (A or B), then just hold button down for a few seconds to reset it to zero.

rpm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts