Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 25 and I just bought my first ever brand new car. It's a 05 Prius, Driftwood Pearl Pkg #6 :)

Anyway, something to watch out for is that when I walked into the dealer my sales rep informed me that Toyota's base MSRP had gone up $100. I had just checked online an hour prior, so I knew that even if it were true (can't believe it was), I could talk him down to the internet advertised price because he wasn't charging me extra because the car was so in demand. I didn't say I didn't believe him or anything, I just looked disheartened and mumbled something about budgeting for this down to the penny. He quickly waived the "new" MSRP in favor of the old.

So now I'm not below MSRP, just where I should be. I get a print out detailing the expenses and near the end they have Floor Mats (5) : $186. Honestly, the way the Toyota site builds quotes, I thought that was an option. I actually didn't want carpeted floor mats. So when I complained about that, he said he couldn't do anything about that, I had to get the mats (don't know if I really believe that). Then he added that he couldn't nix the charge but could knock $100 off. I took the compromise.

The major price break I got was because I am a member of Costco. That got me another $750 under MSRP. Membership cost me $35 annually on my parent's business. I think it's $45 annually for individuals, but not sure.

So basically I negotiated $100 off (I'd like to say $200, but that "new" MSRP just sounded like crap, don't think many would fall for it) and didn't have to pay another $750.

I should have said that when I walked into the dealer and they asked me what color and trim package I wanted, they had my first choice IN STOCK. I financed at the dealer after they matched my best online quote and drove off after spending less than 3 hours at the dealer.

Never having a new car before, I paid for Lojack (TIP: If you want one research non-dealer installers! this was the only thing I bought on impulse and I really hope I didn't overpay too much) up front and just ordered a VIN etch kit. I hope it's not overboard, but I'm very nervous. Once my parents repay the money I lent them, I'll get my extended warranty from Warranty Direct. The dealer quoted me about $1500 for an extra 4 years coverage and Warrant direct about $1000 for an extra 7 years coverage (wear and tear included with mechanical failure). I showed the financing guy their coverages and the only thing he could speculate about was that maybe they didn't cover the nav computer. At saving $500 to get 3 more years, I'll risk it.

Thanks for all the posts here, I lurked around for 2 days soaking it all in. You all were a very big help to me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The MSRP did just go up $100 (effective Apr. 4, I believe), so you did negotiate a $200 discount.

I bought mine right before the price increase. I also got floor mats automatically. They were listed on the sticker so it is possible that the car was shipped to the dealer with the mats already installed -- your dealer may have been telling the truth about not having a choice on that.

I didn't notice the mats until after I had bought the car, but in my case that was the only option I had actually wanted (but I had forgot to bring it up because the purchase process went so quickly and I wasn't too sharp that day anyway because I had the flu). So, I was actually pleased to find that I had gotten them anyway.

- Dennis D.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Check around here and at priuschat.com for an extended warranty. That's where the dealer's make their money.

You also might strongly consider refinancing the car through your bank or credit union rather than through the dealer.

I hope you didn't pay a lot for the VIN etch kit. You probably could have found one for around $20.00.

Otherwise you did pretty well. I didn't know about the CostCo thing. Wish I had. I just got a card and just bought a Prius. If I had known I could have got another $750 off that would have been sweet.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
hyperion said:
By doing a little research here when your ready for the warranty which is highly recommended you will find a link to a Toyota dealer where you can purchase the Toyota Platinim warranty for anywhere from $750.00 to $875.00 depending on seven or eight years.
extended warranty info: http://www.vfaq.net/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
cdweller0 said:
I'm 25 and I just bought my first ever brand new car. It's a 05 Prius, Driftwood Pearl Pkg #6 :)
I can remember many many long years ago getting my first new car...you did great...Congratulations, you are a smart consumer (it is ok to be nervous, makes you cautious.)

Enjoy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the extended warranty information :) I'll try the dealers for a better price.

I did get the VIN kit right, $24.95 including shipping.

I'm also surprised that the MSRP did increase about 10 days before my purchase, when I did my heaviest research - and still I found nothing. But it raises my opinion of my dealer nonetheless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Costco discount details?

Hi all,

Can anyone provide details about Costco discounts for the Prius? Is it worth joining Costco?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
$35.00 for -$750.00?

·
Registered
16 Posts
melgish said:
$35.00 for -$750.00?
Thanks for the quick reply. I saw that post, but there were no details other than the fact that the discount was $750. My Toyota dealer knew nothing about it, and there was also nothing about it on the Costco site... I'm trying to figure out if I'm really just chasing a dream.... or if that discount is the real deal. If I figure it out, I'll be sure to post. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You probably need to call your Costco to see if they have a car broker. Then talk with her to see what she can do on a Prius.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hep said:
You probably need to call your Costco to see if they have a car broker. Then talk with her to see what she can do on a Prius.
Sheesh, Hep, yer such a killjoy. What's the fun of going to the source and finding out, when we can debate it and ponder it and masticate it all day on the forum. :roll: I'm going to swear out a warrant for the Fun Police to come and cart you off!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hep said:
Thanks. I just called Costco in Danvers, Mass, and the membership (and auto/tire) departments told me: (1) there was no car broker there, or at any other Costco in Massachusetts; (2) the only car-related service offered was a break on the interest rate through a special deal with Capital One. The woman I spoke with mentioned that there's definitely not a $750 discount on the Prius, or on any other car. I guess it was still worth a try!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
melissa said:
[Thanks. I just called Costco in Danvers, Mass, and the membership (and auto/tire) departments told me: (1) there was no car broker there, or at any other Costco in Massachusetts; (2) the only car-related service offered was a break on the interest rate through a special deal with Capital One. The woman I spoke with mentioned that there's definitely not a $750 discount on the Prius, or on any other car. I guess it was still worth a try!
So, what's it worth to try NY, CT, or another new england state? Probably not too expensive to get there, and might be worth the trip if the Costco there has a car broker. Run your numbers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sanny said:
melissa said:
[Thanks. I just called Costco in Danvers, Mass, and the membership (and auto/tire) departments told me: (1) there was no car broker there, or at any other Costco in Massachusetts; (2) the only car-related service offered was a break on the interest rate through a special deal with Capital One. The woman I spoke with mentioned that there's definitely not a $750 discount on the Prius, or on any other car. I guess it was still worth a try!
So, what's it worth to try NY, CT, or another new england state? Probably not too expensive to get there, and might be worth the trip if the Costco there has a car broker. Run your numbers.
Then the question is one of service - when I mentioned to my mom that I was thinking of buying out of state, she cautioned me about whether I want to drive 200+ miles to get the benefit of whatever service the dealership would offer. Is that worth considering? Anyone?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Sanny said:
Hep said:
Sheesh, Hep, yer such a killjoy. What's the fun of going to the source and finding out, when we can debate it and ponder it and masticate it all day on the forum. :roll: I'm going to swear out a warrant for the Fun Police to come and cart you off!
At the risk of Sanny locking me up for life, try http://www.costcoauto.com/index.asp
Really any auto broker may be able to get you a slightly better deal. If they do quite a bit of business with Toyota on other cars, the dealer may give them a break on Prius just to keep them happy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
servicing

I believe you can get your car services at any dealership. A warranty is a warranty.

I drive an extra 15 min. to go to the dealership I bought from because I like their overall service better than the dealership closest to me. Which is also why I bought there in the first place.

But you don't have to drive 200 miles out of state to get your car serviced. It can be serviced at any Toyota Dealership. After all, what would people do who bought a car and then moved across country?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was thinking of any perks the dealership might give beyond servicing the car for problems.

For example, I actually bought my first car (Mercury) at a Toyota dealership a few years back. When I bought it, I was given a coupon book for free oil changes for the next 100,000 miles (worth about $650); the catch was that it was only good for that specific Toyota dealership. As far as getting serviced for anything not under warranty, I'm sure that no dealership will turn me away if I have cash. For anything under warranty, I assume any Toyota dealership would fix the problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Great job! I think it is wonderful when informed consumers go armed with knowledge to buy cars. Dealerships would like to see you walk in and feel as if you will just die if you don't get to drive off in their brand new car. Impulse buyers with no common sense or discipline make it possible for others to get good buys. Good job.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts