Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry:

It's one of those mysteries that just has you gnashing your teeth. Let's see if anyone out there has had a similar experience or any knowledge about this:

So my wife and I just bought our first house ( :D ) and as part of our celebration, we finally enter our new address as "HOME" in the navigation system (factory-installed in our '03).

The next day, my cousin borrows the car for 30 minutes to take her brother to something at school.

The FOLLOWING day, I find that the navigation system is unresponsive, as if it never existed. On the display is the message about something's not connected, just like when I press "DISC" (we have no CD player). When I go to eject the Nav system disc, no response.

I interrogate my cousin, who tells me that all she remembers is thinking that it was strange that when she got in the car to drive it, the screen seemed stuck on her departure point. She claims that she never fiddled with any buttons, and neither did my other cousin, her brother.

Took it in to the dealership. They say the ECU is bad, and they want roughly $4000 to replace it. :shock: :shock: :shock: 39K on the odometer means I'm out of warranty... and out of luck. We just bought a new house and have to furnish it... which means all of a sudden, the Prius is less fun to drive.

You know that gnawing resentment that's there when something's wrong or damaged on your car, computer/laptop, cellphone, etc? Your first instinct is to say, "Screw this thing," and throw it away.

Anyway, does anyone have any insight into my predicament? Anyone know where I can pick up a cheap Nav ECU anywhere? :(

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yowch! 39k is barely out of warranty. Perhaps try a politely worded letter to a regional office, or directly to Toyota of America to plead your case?

The price seems way out of line with what a part like that "should" cost, and it arguably ought to last well beyond the 36k mile warranty period anyway.

Try writing. Can't hurt - might help. Every so often a company does the right thing. Mebbe you'll get lucky.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I'll assume that your dealership did the obvious - made sure that the cable to the navigation box under the passenger's seat was connected? I think both power and the connection to the display are in the same cable... (errant foot or object get under the seat recently?)

Otherwise, yeah, US$4000 is about the going price for the navigation unit new from the dealer (yes I know it was only a US$1900 option... hence why those of us with a Prius without navigation, who were told by our dealer that it could be added later, are quite annoyed...) Best bet is to find one from a scrapyard. You'll have to check with your Toyota parts person, but I think some other Toyota/Lexus models from the same year may have the same unit, so that could broaden your search.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hasnt denso the computer maker come up with a price for a refurbished nav computer? ususally when expensive parts are out of warranty they will sell you a refurbished unit for less like on audio equipment. that is why they put list price so high so if they say 2000.00 for a refurb you will think it is a bargain. but of course is still what you paid for the whole system if ordered new with the prius. i am a lexus navigation system expert and the prius is similar to certain lexus models in navigation equipment. all the other toyotas have a 1 piece nav now in 2005 but prius still 2 piece like on most lexus except for the es330 camry lexus. the other toyota similar to prius navigation is the land cruiser otherwise none of current toyota navigation parts will work on a prius. the prius computers sell for 500.00 at salvage yards and for 750.00 recently on ebay so that may be better than dealer refurb if the seller will warranty it works and refund your money if it doesnt. then you have to get the correct navigation dvd update which another tricky matter. the used computers usually alway have the original older dvd software in them.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Miles vs Months

Ok, so you're 3,000 miles over the warranty period in miles. How much time would you have left in months?

If it's a lot... (like my car, for instance... I'm at 26,000 after only 8 months) you might be able to push hard and get them to admit that the nav system isn't worn-out by # of miles driven, and should still be considered under warranty. I'd also re-read the warranty terms very carfully as I seem to recall there are some items that the mileage does not apply, only the months... hopfully this will be one of them.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Could a bad DVD cause this problem? I wouldn't put it past the dealer to take the easy (and profitable) way out and just tell you to replace everything. If there is another Prius owner neaqr you, perhaps you can convince them to swap DVDs for a test. Then wiggle all the connectors (including at the display?) before accepting the $4K cost.

One last thought... can you still buy an extended warrantee at this point?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts