Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone seen screen protectors sold for the mulidisplay screen? I know that they make such products for PDA's but was curious whether anyone has seen any for the Prius screen. I believe the protectors attach via static electricity and protect against scratches, sun glare and they peel off easily when they are in need of replacement.

Thanks,

Bill
:?:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have thought about this for my Prius, as well as for a music keyboard I have with a touchscreen, but I have not attempted to use a screen protector for either.

I too, would be interested in any information anybody has on this matter.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Seperate but related...

Anybody know what products are meant for the cleaning of the screen? It';s not glass so windex doesn't seem right, and I've gone to auto supply stores but none seem to have a gps screen cleaner/wipe. Seems someone would make one since they're more common these days...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use the microfiber cloths. Yes they do remove finger prints. There are two different types the terry cloth and suede. It's not really suede but, feels like suede. I have both. The suede is for glass and detailing. I like the suede but both will work. It was hard to find them at first but after I ordered some ($10), I found them at the toyota dealer for about $4 a pack. Also at Costco about $10. I use the Costco terry ones for washing and drying.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I haven't tried the microfibre myself. It should work well on the MFD but I'd be afraid to use it on the various shiny plastic surfaces since the dust could be abrasive. A Swiffer takes the dust off harmlessly but doesn't do anything about fingerprints.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Windex and a mircofiber cloth works great for the screen and pretty much everything else that is plastic/glass in the car for me. I really like the Windex/microfiber combination for both exterior and interior window cleaning after freshly washing the car. All windows, especially the windshield, disappear after that treatment.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I use the MicroFiber cloths from M3. They work very well. When the screen is really dirty, I just get a corner a little damp, and clean it and it looks like new again. It works wounders. :wink: [/u]

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have wondered if there was any type of protector like the ones that are available for PDA's as well. In my Lexus, I had the dealer leave the factory plastic protector on. After 18 months, it is still on there. I may do the same when (if) my Prius ever gets here.
In my last Lexus, I used a damp, soft cloth. It never smeared or scratched and cleaned the fingerprints off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Micro Fiber Cloth

I found the micro fiber cloths at the dollar store. I keep one moist in a baggy in the rear cup holder. I use it to keep the finger prints off the screen and to dust any surface. They work very well. I just refresh it in the washroom at the local coffee shop every other day with a little soap and a good rinse.
I also purchased a small 12V Koolatron cooler that holds up to 6 bottles of water. It is really handy having cool water handy.
Barry
Silver B package
6100 kms
60 mpg avg (Imp)
Best tank 65!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I went down to Lensecrafters and bought a cleaning cloth for glasses. Cleans anything smooth incredibly well. It's a dry cloth too. It works ok on the rest of the surfaces. cost me 6.50

·
Registered
110 Posts
Re: Seperate but related...

bradca21 said:
Anybody know what products are meant for the cleaning of the screen? It';s not glass so windex doesn't seem right, and I've gone to auto supply stores but none seem to have a gps screen cleaner/wipe. Seems someone would make one since they're more common these days...

Any ideas?
Pledge works fine, so does Armor-all. I use a cotton sock, reversed, or a cotton t-shirt to wipe the plastic clean. I think the touch screen is sturdier than many of us think; it was, after all, designed to be touched.
I use one of those furry dusters to keep the dash and screens clear of lint and dust. We use Pledge on our airplane windscreen and I use it around the house on acrylic cases and on my acrylic aquarium exterior. It leaves a mildly waxy finish which helps retard dust accumulation.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I dont think there are any problems or scratches to worry about.. The only thing you can get is a smear and thats about it.. I poke at it all the time with my nails and never had a problem.. If you ever, i think you can claim it under your warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nav Protector

I know there are protectors that are meant for laptops. Getting one of those and cutting it down to fit should work and be fairly cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts