Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an after-market source in northern california for mud flaps designed specifically for the 2004 Prius. My dealer says Toyota does not offer them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
An04Prius said:
Can anyone recommend an after-market source in northern california for mud flaps designed specifically for the 2004 Prius. My dealer says Toyota does not offer them.
Your dealer is incorrect. Slap him around a little.

·
Registered
53 Posts
'Mud' flaps

I got mine on eBay. A Vancouverite is kind enough to sell them no markup. They are available to Canadian dealers, but not to USA dealers unless they know where to look.

They work very well; no more tar on the body.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My 2004 came with 'em; option MG1 "Splashguards" on the window sticker @ $89. Pricey, but they fit perfectly, and work well. I'm guessing the equivalent option for the 2005 will work/fit on a 2004, but check with a knowledgeable dealer to be sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Speaking of the XM Radio Kit, which comes with an antenna, does this install in place of the original antenna or is it installed elsewhere on the car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Toyota dealers do have them $40 for four made in canada to fit the Prius 2004. Amazing how little dealers across the country know about the products they sell.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, folks. I'm printing this to take to the dealer to slap him around with. Actually, I think I'll wait till Fri, when the little guy is there. :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you get no satisfaction from your local dealer, as was said before, we do have them in stock. For whatever reason if an accessory is not listed for that dealers region, then they really have no idea the particular accessory exists.

I did some homework that is why I have them. :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
:?: Eddie... I'm still trying to find Body Side Mouldings for my '04 Prius, either color-matched (doortag pic attached) or paintable. Someone suggested Highlander front door mouldings (2 sets of 2) which could be used. I would appreciate your suggestions.

THANKS - Charles Suitt - Dallas TX

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello Charles. I am trying to find a less expensive alternative to the Highlander mouldings. Not only do they cost too much, the other issue is they only come painted in a few Prius colors. I have not come across an unpainted version. Your paint color is not available for the Highlander so you would in essence be paying for a color you would not be using, then paying someone to paint over them with the correct color.

I will stay on top off this and let you know what I come up with. I also am open to suggestions from the group. Allot of the items I sell for the Prius were suggested by Prius owners.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Body Side Mouldings

:D THANKS, EDDIE !! Hope you can turn up a viable source or solution to Body Side Mouldings. So far, I've been very lucky (no dings) but in "city" use dings are likely to be a way of life. Seems it would be a shame to resort to the J C Whitney generics for such a lovely machine.

-Charles Suitt- Dallas TX 8)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mud Flap Saga- cont. & finito

So, I go to my Toyota Dlr parts counter, (Northern Ca), face to face, mano a mano, and since there are two parts guys, I decide against the "slap around" technique.

Instead, I give them a dramatic reading of your answers on this page. He says look; we told you before, we do not have a part # for Prius Mud Flaps; we never had a part # for them; and we dont think we will ever have them. And if we ever do get them we are not going to tell you, because you are a pest.

Then he sic-ed his cat on the fake canary on my dashboard.

(Well ok the part after the dramatic reading didnt really happen). :roll:

After that, we had a nice discussion. Seems that Eddie is right on the money. Even within the U.S., Toyota appears to make regional decisions (that they appear to not publicize) on parts & accessories. E.G., he said that since the Ca market is believed to be more non-smoking & use more accessories (laptops, cell phones, etc) in the car, they dont ship a cigarette lighter in cars to Ca. (of course the receptacle is there). I have no idea if that is true.

So as a former business guy, I'm saying hmmm, could make a lot of sense. Assume what the parts guy said is true. Say a lighter cost about $8-10. For every 100k cars to Ca, Toy could save a MILLION BUCKS on lighters; maybe most would spend their lives in a drawer somewhere. I'm guessing cost of shipping & stocking mud flaps in CA might have similar business dynamic, as opposed to Canada for instance.

So, Eddie, thanks, and I'll be calling your place if I decide to put em on. That was neat of you to send the pic of installation instructions. Can I assume rear install is similar ?? Does one have to remove the wheels to install em (the drilling) ??. I'm sure I can find someone here to install em.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I installed my own from the Canadian eBay guy. They came with Toyota install instructions. They say you have to remove the rear wheels for the drilling, but not the front wheels (they will turn out of the way). I had a 90 degree chuck on my drill so I did not have to remove the rear wheels.

Read the instructions at the car all the way thru, identifying the parts and the process before you actually do it. It is EASY!

Check eBay, they are the same price, shipping and customs are quicker and easier than going to a dealer in Canada.

Michael
2004 White Package 9, XM radio, EV, Auto-lock, TrafficGuage, Rear radar backing sensor, solar 12v panel in rear window.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Mud Flaps (Splashguards) and cargo liner for my baby!

Last week I went over to Metro Toytota and picked up the mudguards from Eddie along with the trunk/cargo liner. As you can tell from his responses he's a great guy and very helpful.

I put the splashguards on without a problem - the whole process took me about 30 minutes...mostly because of my nervousness about drilling holes in the car. The fear was unfounded as the installation is very simple.

The front ones are trivial to install, simply follow the instructions and turn the wheels so that you have some room to work with the drill. Two of the holes for the rear ones can also be done without a problem. The third rear hole can either be done with a right angle chuck OR simply drilled at an angle and the installed screw inserted and tightened down at the same angle (the approach that I took).

They look great and perform well.

A (highly recommended) set of instructions and detailed pictures can be found at: http://www.vfaq.net/mods/SplashGuards.html

Good luck and Enjoy!!! Oh...the plastic liner for the trunk is wonderful! It is a perfect cut out for the Prius ... even to the extent that there are openings for the four tie-down hooks. Also the clear plastic mat is flexible so that you can easily get to the extra storage spaces in the rear without removing the liner! Cool!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks, folks. your description & experience with the mud flap install reassured me.

I, too, was nervous about drilling the holes. I think I'll order them from Metro as well.

I might get that trunk liner as well. I have this neat folding bike that fits into trunk area without even having to fold down the back seat, but washing the muddy tires after a remote ride can be a pain or impossible.

appreciate all the help

1 - 20 of 25 Posts