Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ckd the spare tire pressure. As everyone should periodically...

Remove vertical cargo net

Remove horizontal cargo net

Remove cargo area protective floor mat

Remove folding cargo box cover

Remove stored items from cargo box

Remove cargo box

Can now SEE spare, but of course it is upside down, so you need to remove it to ck air pressure.

Unscrew jack setup

Remove jack setup

Turn spare over. Check pressure. Fill if necessary. Reassemble. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

This is not unique to Prius. Many cars with temp spare have the same grief. What we need for convenience, is a long flexible air valve hose that attaches to the spare's air valve.

Think of it as an extension cord for the air valve, with an air valve at the end that sits in your cargo area to ck pressure & fill if necessary. You engineers/tire experts out there. Wouldnt this work ?? :?

Why cant I walk into a tire or car parts store & buy one ? Or can I ??? :?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Another solution might be hard to find any more, too. It was called Engin-Air (not sure of the spelling) and it replaced a spark plug, using the engine's compression to inflate a flat. You installed it, and started your (now very rough-idling) motor to get air to a hose you then connected to your tire's shrader valve.

Given the Prius knows how to spin the ICE with no EFI, it would have been easy for Toyota to turn it into a temporary air compressor for such a purpose.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I wasn't recommending Engin-air for the Prius, but rather suggesting that a simple head mod would have allowed creation of a port that could be used for a similar purpose, controlled by the ECU, at little extra cost.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paulie said:
I've seen these around. Where I saw them before doesn't carry them anymore, but here's one via a quick google:

http://www.getagauge.com/accessories.cfm
Paulie THANK YOU ! that is exactly what I had in mind.

This forum has never disappointed me...helpful, nice folks with a lot of talent and wit :D

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Rather than modifying the engine with a compression release Honda is installing a small inexpensive 12 volt electric compressor and a length of coiled hose stored in a small compt similar to and on the opposite side of the cars fuel tank door. Also in the compt is a small aerosol can of tire leak repair. Ala, no spare needed. On the Toyota you could conceivably get the same effect by throwing the doughnut away and using the space to store a 12 Volt pump and a small can of tire repair. None of which would probably ever be needed.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
KTPhil said:
I wasn't recommending Engin-air for the Prius, but rather suggesting that a simple head mod would have allowed creation of a port that could be used for a similar purpose, controlled by the ECU, at little extra cost.
I would hope that there's no fuel in that mixture going into the tire! Boom!

:shock:

·
Registered
508 Posts
hyperion said:
The spare might be used in a six year period and probably not.
Psssh... Speak for yourself. Three flats, including one completely shredded tire in less than 6 months.

I gotta stop driving over all that razor wire during my prison breaks...

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Really!. Seriously, have you had a flat in one of the tires on your Prius?
Personally I havent't had a flat tire in the past twenty years nor do I know of anyone who has used Triple A for anything other than a battery jump. Of course, I do so much driving that I am very cognizant of the condition of my tires and would never even consider driving on anything marginal.

·
Registered
508 Posts
hyperion said:
Ever tried getting down on your knees and attempt to drive a nail into a steel belted radial?
Not deliberately, but apparently, I'm quite gifted at it.

One flat (the one with the shredded tire) happened immediately after a service at my crummy dealer. I'd like to say it's not coincidence, but it prolly is.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
hyperion said:
Same question? ....... Even with the teamsters which I wouldn't recognize from a hole in the ground where I believe "Jimmy" is touted to be!
Ever tried getting down on your knees and attempt to drive a nail into a steel belted radial?
I bet if you drive the steel belted radial onto the nail it goes in. I do get your point. It is so rare anymore to see cars on the side of the road changing a tire. Or with a radiator steaming for that matter. The reliability of all cars has increased right along with the price of fixing what does go wrong and the impossibility of fixing it yourself.

·
Registered
669 Posts
hyperion said:
Same question? .......
Drove over a nail in the parking lot at the barn once... I can vouch that it is possible. Haven't done it with my Prius and my last flat tire was pre-Pri when I apparently hit the edge of a cub at exactly the wrong angle...

Perhaps if the car puts its weight into it... I think it probably outweighs most teamsters...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
BIF said:
KTPhil said:
I would hope that there's no fuel in that mixture going into the tire! Boom!

:shock:
I was thinking the same thing! Carb system, no way to prevent it. Injector system, disconnect injector.

Perhaps the device was using the compression stroke to operate a compressor taking in fresh air. That would be more cumbersome, but safer. But it would be easier to get a 12V compressor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pesky, pointy, protruding cubs...

No sharp cubs, but i nailed an obtuse 'possum last week. Messy.

The chicken was a show-off..

:wink:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thomme said:
I'd imagine you hit a cub at any angle, you're gonna have one angry mama bear on your hands.
Oh my! Don't let the polar bear know!

I meant "curb". Really. I did.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts