Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone pay close to MSRP for immediate delivery? Looks like 3000 to 4500 above MSRP is the going rate here in So Cal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, where are you looking? I almost bought a Prius in July and every dealer was selling it for MSRP exactly. I had looked at a few San Diego dealers and one in Carson.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was also shocked in So. CA when I looked in mid-August when gas was climbing. The one I ended up buying from in Valencia ('cause the damn 11 year old trade-in was on it's last leg getting there) didn't say anything about the ridiculous mark-up "hot item" surcharge until we started playing the 4-square game on paper. When I saw the $3000 added and questioned it, I got the "Big Story." I simply got up and began to walk out, but they got me back in the hot seat and rubber-hosed me some more.

I got them down to $500 over but it was a struggle and it was getting close to midnight (they stay open as long as it takes, or to make you feel guilty from keeping them awake all night). Then you need to watch the percentage game on the 4-square sheet. Numbers don't always add up right. I dunno, but it seems whatever they can get out of you and submit to Toyota Financial Services will be okay with corporate - and maybe the salesman's pocket. I always try and figure $20 on $1000 as a rough approximation for the loan. Sometimes it just doesn't add up.

However, they had the one I wanted in stock (they had a bunch too, maybe 45!) and I wasn't keen about driving the old bucket home at midnight (100 miles or so). Guess it could have gone worse, but I had my new car all in the same evening. God, I hate playing the new car buying game though!

The trade-in game is just about as bad too in their 4-square game sheet. Fwiw, I was told over a year prior by a Dodge dealer in eastern LA that they only offered $500 on any vehcile over 5 years old on trade-in as they did not want cars older than that on their used car lot (too many problems, etc.). They sold them off to a salvage broker and got rid of them. The Toyota dealer was also consistent in offering me the same $500 one year later. It could have been worse as the engine was knocking badly now.

Watch out with their 4-square sheet (game) though! Every square is on there to screw you over. Oh, it can't help to take a laptop with a financial calculator software program along. They really hate that! It forces them to be honest -- to an extent. The Dodge dealer was really horrible in math!
:wink:

Oh, here's an interesting link (more in the sidebar too):
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2 ... uging.html

·
Registered
298 Posts
Friends of mine who lives near Rochester, NY wanted to trade in their 2002 Prius last month but were unable to find a dealer in their area who would settle for MSRP. They found just what they were looking for and at MSRP about 300 miles away. I guess the moral to this story is to keep looking. You don't have to settle for over MSRP.

·
Registered
232 Posts
-$700.00 off MSRP on a loaded White package 6 purchased in Corona on Easter Sunday.
8)
Keep looking........

·
Registered
8 Posts
We bought ours from Rancho Santa Margarita Toyota at MSRP in April when others were telling us it was a "Toyota" practice to charge above MSRP.

Rancho swore that they would never charge above MSRP, you might want to check with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
G. McCurdy said:
I was also shocked in So. CA when I looked in mid-August when gas was climbing. The one I ended up buying from in Valencia ('cause the damn 11 year old trade-in was on it's last leg getting there) didn't say anything about the ridiculous mark-up "hot item" surcharge until we started playing the 4-square game on paper. When I saw the $3000 added and questioned it, I got the "Big Story." I simply got up and began to walk out, but they got me back in the hot seat and rubber-hosed me some more.

I got them down to $500 over but it was a struggle and it was getting close to midnight (they stay open as long as it takes, or to make you feel guilty from keeping them awake all night). Then you need to watch the percentage game on the 4-square sheet. Numbers don't always add up right. I dunno, but it seems whatever they can get out of you and submit to Toyota Financial Services will be okay with corporate - and maybe the salesman's pocket. I always try and figure $20 on $1000 as a rough approximation for the loan. Sometimes it just doesn't add up.

However, they had the one I wanted in stock (they had a bunch too, maybe 45!) and I wasn't keen about driving the old bucket home at midnight (100 miles or so). Guess it could have gone worse, but I had my new car all in the same evening. God, I hate playing the new car buying game though!

The trade-in game is just about as bad too in their 4-square game sheet. Fwiw, I was told over a year prior by a Dodge dealer in eastern LA that they only offered $500 on any vehcile over 5 years old on trade-in as they did not want cars older than that on their used car lot (too many problems, etc.). They sold them off to a salvage broker and got rid of them. The Toyota dealer was also consistent in offering me the same $500 one year later. It could have been worse as the engine was knocking badly now.

Watch out with their 4-square sheet (game) though! Every square is on there to screw you over. Oh, it can't help to take a laptop with a financial calculator software program along. They really hate that! It forces them to be honest -- to an extent. The Dodge dealer was really horrible in math!
:wink:

Oh, here's an interesting link (more in the sidebar too):
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2 ... uging.html
ay caramba! I hate those games. For others out there who don't want to play the game, show up with a personal check, and/or financing from another institution. The five buckets of profit for dealers are: trade-in, selling price, interest rate, add-ons, extra fees. The more you can fill in the buckets yourself the better. Private sale of your used car, buy at MSRP and below, find your own financing, you don't have to buy extended warranty then, and watch out for dealer prep and advertising fees. I'm a pit bull in the finance office. Once they figure out that you knwo what you're talking about and won't budge, they relent. My line is "Maybe we should have the branch mgr at the table and you can explain to him/her why you won't let me buy this car. I'm ready to write the check NOW" Works every time. Hell, with a Prius, they're getting MSRP. That alone brings them enough profit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got my new Prius at Crown Toyota in Ontario at MSRP and did not wait even a day. They have a good policy, "First come, First server". So I love it.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
OK, so if they don't have a car, they turn you away?
Unless their supply is greater than their demand, there's only 3 ways they can play this out:
1. Sell over MSRP to reduce demand.
2. Sell at MSRP, but have a waiting list for the excess demand
3. Sell at MSRP, but turn away the excess demand.

So, when they say "First Come, First Serve", and they don't have a waiting list, and they don't sell over MSRP, either they are playing option 3, or they happen to have supply at or greater than demand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
$500 for a 5-year-old car is one of the stupidest things I've heard of. I have a 6-year-old VW Jetta that Kelley's Blue Book says I should get $5300 for when trading it in. One dealer said he'd give $4000, another $4500, though both would probably try to lower than if I actually bought from them. But a flat $500? Believe me, they were bullshitting when they said they melted the cars down for scrap -- more likely, they simply sold them to a wholesaler instead of selling them themselves. The wholesaler usually takes I think $500 for each car, so if the car is worth $5000 and you trade it in for $500, and that dealer than sells it to a wholesaler, the dealer made $4000 profit.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If the wholesaler takes it for 500, it is the WHOLESALER that makes $4500 profit, not the dealer.

Dealer: 500 from wholesaler, minus what they gave you, net $0
Wholesaleor: Assume sells for $5000, minus $500 they gave dealer, net $4500.

Not sure where $4000 came from.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
MSRP list for 05 or 06 orders

I'm in CA north, S.F.Bay Area

It doesn't matter to me if the Prius frenzy is Sky-High ! All my Prii are sold
at MSRP nothing more nothing less.

From time to time I do receive offers below MSRP then I turn them down.
My price is: One price for all Prii ordered ! at MSRP be it 05 or 06 models !

·
Registered
25 Posts
DanMan32 said:
If the wholesaler takes it for 500, it is the WHOLESALER that makes $4500 profit, not the dealer.

You misunderstood me. Let me explain it another way:

I can try to sell my current car to someone for $6000 or just avoid the hassle and trade it in to a dealer for $5000. The dealer thus takes $1000, in the sense that they can sell the car to someone for $6000 and make $1000 profit (since they gave me $5000 for it). Or they can give it to a wholesaler which makes $500 profit, leaving the dealer with just a $500 profit.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
CGameProgrammer said:
DanMan32 said:

You misunderstood me. Let me explain it another way:

I can try to sell my current car to someone for $6000 or just avoid the hassle and trade it in to a dealer for $5000. The dealer thus takes $1000, in the sense that they can sell the car to someone for $6000 and make $1000 profit (since they gave me $5000 for it). Or they can give it to a wholesaler which makes $500 profit, leaving the dealer with just a $500 profit.
If the dealer appraised your trade-in for $5000 and sold it to a wholeseller
for $6000 then the dealer made $1000 profit. Now the wholeseller will bring this vehicle to other dealers or put it for a bid in an Auto Auction
for more than he paid to the dealer whom he bought the vehicle or he will incur a loss ! I ought to know, I'm a Toyota proud "Hybrid" dealer !

·
Registered
30 Posts
MSRP

Poway Toyota (in San Diego county) quoted me MSRP. Course I haven't gotten the car yet, so we'll see. I'm not above walking out and giving Ricky Hirose a call if they try to jerk me around. I can wait.
Nobody here's "taking immediate delivery". There ain't a Prius to be had in the county.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For me, this horse is long dead. As long as I have a car that meets my immediate transportation needs, I would never pay one cent over sticker for any car. It would make me feel like a sap, and cars just ain't worth it. (This from a lifelong car and mc enthusiast.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts