Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my first fill up with 495 miles on the car/tank at 50.3 MPG, the car miles and MPG on the consumption screen reset to zero? I thought I read in some posts that there is a Lifetime mode that will continue to calculate from tank to tank as long as no one pushes the reset button? Is this not the case on the 05 models? If it is available can someone tell me how to get to the setup to change to the lifetime mode.

Thanks,
Wayne
05 Seaside Pearl #6
05 Tideland Pearl #6

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I don't think there is any "lifetime" mode. This topic is discussed elsewhere in this forum. Try using the search feature to find the other discussions on the topic.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
There is no lifetime MPG mode. The multi-display will reset its average and miles drive as soon as you fill up and start to pull away from the pump.

·
Registered
669 Posts
This seems to me one thing Toyota could upgrade... it would be nice for the MFD to offer some flexibility in how to store these data. Even just offering an average for each of the three ODO settings would be useful, or at least entertaining, and it seems as if the infrastructure must already be there!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lifetime Mode

Below is text from "Graham's Toyota Website" "Understanding your Prius"

http://home.earthlink.net/~graham1/MyTo ... Frames.htm

Maybe it was available in 1st generation, but not any more? If anyone knows anymore, please advise:

Lifetime Fuel Consumption - if you never touch reset, the display will show the average fuel consumption since you took delivery of the car. People who use this policy are adamant that this is the most important thing to know. To my mind, however, there are problems associated with it. First, you have to somehow prevent passengers from touching reset. If you plan to have the car for ten years, that's a lot of diligence. A moment's lapse of attention and you might as well have used a different policy. Second, you lose the opportunity to watch how different driving styles, journeys, weather etc. affect economy. You can monitor how much fuel you put into the car to get this information, but it's not as immediate as watching the display. Third, you can't use the most reliable (in my opinion) method of knowing when it is time to refuel. If you want lifetime fuel consumption, my suggestion is to record all the fuel you put in the car, add it up and divide my the number of miles on the odometer. That way, your figure is not disturbed by the inaccuracy of the car's fuel flow measurement.

Wayne
05 Seaside Pearl #6
05 Tideland Pearl #6

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Much of Grahm's site is based on the Classic, with some updates on the THSII. Avg MPG will reset after the gas guage registers at least 2.5 gallons of fuel added and you drive away.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The Honda hybrids have two cumulative MPG readouts: a lifetime MPG, and a MPG since last reset.

The Classic Prius only has one cumulative MPG readout, based on the consumption screen odometer. It only resets if you press the "Reset" button, or you have your 12v battery disconnected long enough (say your car is in for body/repair work...) The Consumption Screen odometer only displays 4 digits, so mine has rolled over 3 times now, only reset once thanks to a service guy...

The 2004+ Prius only has one cumulative MPG readout on the Consumption Screen. It resets whenever you press the "Reset" button, and at every fillup (within about a mile of the gas station, usually). It probably also has the 12v thing, but I don't know for sure. There are some ways to not have the screen auto-reset at a fillup, but that usually entails never putting in more than 3 gallons at a time, and maybe filling up with the engine running (yikes!).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts