1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an 05 Black couple weeks ago.
1st tank : 46.4mpg
2nd tank: 46.0 mpg

Now, 3rd time around, and it doesn't feel like its going to go up any higher that 46 mpg. I've driven just about a 1000 miles. Is it true that we start seeing 50+ only after the vehilce breaks in.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
It will improve some, but it all depends on how you drive. To keep up with traffic, I'm usually at 70-75 on freeways, which hurts mileage. I'm averaging 43 with A/C on half the time in a warm climate.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well....

Well, if you are like most drivers (just drive it like a normal car), you'll almost never see 50mpg average on a tank. I've seen that only once on mine, but that's because the weather was so nasty I had to drive 50-55 for the entire tank on the highway. At normal speeds in normal road conditions you won't see the EPA estimates, as those are based on conditions nobody actually sees while driving.

On the other hand, according to Consumer Reports, the real world average on the Prius is about 45 mpg, which is around 20 mpg more than most other cars in the same size/power category (according to consumer reports). Not bad huh?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Another issue that affects mileage is the terrain you drive on. I live in an area that has quite a few hills. Some steep, some rolling. Whenever you climb a hill, you'll regain some energy on the way down the other side, but never enough to make up for the gas it took to get to the top. I'm not complaining, after learning how to drive the car more efficiently, I'm getting 47-48 MPG. Just a touch better than my previous car (17 MPG on premium fuel).

I would imagine that the people on the forum that consistently get in the 60 MPG range drive on the flat part of the country.

DGStan

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
60+ you will get if you have a playful spouse who puts a couple gallons in while you are sleeping. 50+ you will get if you drive slower and don't take short trips. 45-47 comes down the line without much effort as the car breaks in.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Most of my trips are really short---I'm at my destination within 5 minutes just when the car is ready to move into a more fuel efficient mode. Even so, I'm doing 45mpg this time around. My first was 43 six weeks ago. Steady driving without many accelerations will post a better mileage. I would be very happy to see 50mpg, but if not, I'm still nearly quadrupling my Jeep's 12mpg and saving a whole lot on gas. By the way, driving only 5 minutes with the heat or AC on does drop mileage pretty noticeably. What starts out at 50mpg may drop to 45 within a week's time. :roll:

·
Registered
669 Posts
46 isn't normal, it's pretty good! I'm running on a 47 mpg tank at 250+ miles and that's using all the tricks I've picked up here to the greatest extent safety, courtesy and terrian allow. 50s seem achievable only if you drive rather slowly and steadily for long distances on flat or rolling terrain. I get great mileage driving in to work after the first 5 minutes, but I pay for it coming home. It's dominantly downhill going in.

The EPA test system needs revamping. It has all along, but the Prius has pointed up the weaknesses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:p I can get 51-52 on my 60 mile round trip, but I drive obnoxiously at the speed limit and usually have a pile of cars behind me trying to pass. It's probably not the best advertizement for the Prius, but I enjoy the challenge of maintaining "over 50 mpg" for the entire 500 gallon gas tank. I also point it out to new passingers to make an impression.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
SunAir said:
:p I can get 51-52 on my 60 mile round trip, but I drive obnoxiously at the speed limit and usually have a pile of cars behind me trying to pass. It's probably not the best advertizement for the Prius, but I enjoy the challenge of maintaining "over 50 mpg" for the entire 500 gallon gas tank. I also point it out to new passingers to make an impression.
You are not being obnoxious driving the speed limit. You are obeying the law. :D One of best ways to improve/maintain excellent mileage in freeway driving is...drive the speed limit. Stay in the right lane tho, to avoid the Rockefeller Salute. :roll:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Driving the speed limit during rush hour here can get you the Rockefellar salute no matter what lane you are in... sometimes you gotta go with the flow... when I first moved here I was astonished and horrified at people driving down the freeway at 80mph with less than one car length of distance. And with a concrete divider a couple of feet to the left. And thats when the limit was 55.

That said, playing with 5 mph increments on cruise on empty freeway during a road trip was eye opening. Around 55 mph, 5mph was worth about 2 mpg.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Driving the speed limit during rush hour here can get you the Rockefellar salute no matter what lane you are in... sometimes you gotta go with the flow... when I first moved here I was astonished and horrified at people driving down the freeway at 80mph with less than one car length of distance. And with a concrete divider a couple of feet to the left. And thats when the limit was 55.
I'm with Astrowoman here. Driving 65 MPH on the freeway would incite more than strern glances around here. I try to keep it around 70, but that still gets the tailgaters in an uproar.

I think it is important that we, as "early adopters", try to project a positive impression of our cars. Everyone already thinks they're underpowered and slow. Driving slowly, with a line of cars behind us waiting to pass, will only make the already resentful Yukon/Suburban/H2 drivers that much more contemptuous.

Dodgerman

·
Registered
420 Posts
What's normal depends on your situation. You've already noticed that the Prius gets comparatively poor mileage the first five minutes of the day (with the hills and stop signs near my house, I rarely get even 25 mpg on that first bar). As a general rule, the longer your average trip is, the better your mileage will be.

Temperature is another major non-negotiable factor: The Prius loves warm weather. You'll see your mileage improve as summer approaches - even with the AC running.

Also watch that your tires are properly inflated and that the oil isn't overfilled (which seems to be the norm rather than the exception). These both take a toll on mileage.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do what I say and Watch...!!!

After you drive 15 minutes, without turning off the engine, reset mpg trip..
Doing so, you will eliminate the low mph counts in the total average of the first 15 minutes.

You can do this in the city trip and reset it again in a highway trip without turning engine off.

With this procedure you will know exactly what your car is giving you in both scenarios.

The average of both could be close to 46 mpg in your case.

Now...!! Do you want to improve more..
Do this:
Put 42 psi in front wheels and 40 in the back
Close your windows
A/C no more than midium speed or off

and the most important thing....!!!!

WORK WITH THE IMPULSE OF YOUR CAR.
If you see that you are in 48 mph
and you can sostained in your specific traffic conditions
lift your foot smoothly until you see the mph count in 99 mpg
and keep it right there until traffic conditions require a change
in that way the car will require just a touch of impulse that is the key of
expending a lot of gas if you soft your foot and sensitivity...Practice Please.

Another thing of impulse...
If you going down hill doing what I told right before, increase the pressure of the pedal smothly and keep 99 mpg...that is to get enough impulse to go as much as you can up hill next. You will not get it all the way up on 99 mpg but at leas 3/4 of the distance up.

Another thing....
Do not let the engine on while not moving...(Listening Music or Waiting for something or somebody). That will count in the mpg average count.. The computer continues doing mathematics in base of zero miles travel per galon of gas that you burn....

Be very carefull doing this...you have to be concentrated up to the top of your head my friend...There are more cars in the surroundings..oK?

I hope I helped you

G

·
2006 Prius vs. 2006 Hyundai Sonata V-6 LX

Do an item-for-item comparison (e.g., delivered price, 0-60 speed, warranty, size, STANDARD features, style) and tell me what YOU would buy. :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Do what I say and Watch...!!!

Another thing....
Do not let the engine on while not moving...(Listening Music or Waiting for something or somebody). That will count in the mpg average count.. The computer continues doing mathematics in base of zero miles travel per galon of gas that you burn....

I assume that if the engine turns off when you're sitting and chatting while not moving you're not really wasting gas. I know this sounds dumb, but, I too, was confused when the MPG dropped.

On mo' thing------I'm another one who has a short commute to work (about 8 minutes) and make lots of short trips during the work day (I'm a school adminstrator and have to go from school to school). It's really hard for me to high mileage. While Toyota advertises better mileage in the city, I always seem to do best, when I can get on a highway and turn on cruise control.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Do what I say and Watch...!!!

rmarchena said:
Another thing....

I assume that if the engine turns off when you're sitting and chatting while not moving you're not really wasting gas. I know this sounds dumb, but, I too, was confused when the MPG dropped.

On mo' thing------I'm another one who has a short commute to work (about 8 minutes) and make lots of short trips during the work day (I'm a school adminstrator and have to go from school to school). It's really hard for me to high mileage. While Toyota advertises better mileage in the city, I always seem to do best, when I can get on a highway and turn on cruise control.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
my wife drives the prius almost exclusively.....the screen said 55 mpg when she let me drive to town....the trip over and back is about 30 total miles, driving conservativly, i was able to ease up the driveway into the garage with the battery power only ending the screen at 57.3 mpg....if there is no error in the computer calculation that is what we are seeing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
SunAir said:
Yeah, me too at times and boy oh boy do people ride my bumper for it. I only do it to watch the mileage get high. Typically I get 43 to 44 mpg and am 100% satisfied with both of my '05s. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts