Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Prius two weeks ago and notice that I almost always get poor gas mileage (avg 25) for the first 5 minutes as noted on screen. Is it because the car isn't warmed up?

Because my commute is only about 8 minutes long, I wonder if I"m going to be doomed to poor gas mileage on workdays.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have found that in warm weather 50?F or above I can get 45-50 mph anytime after short warmup. In cold weather my milage sinks to 40-44 mph most of the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have found that in warm weather 50?F or above I can get 45-50 mph anytime after short warmup. In cold weather my milage sinks to 40-44 mph most of the time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
mpg

yeah, 8 minutes will be tough to get 45 MPG, especially in cold weather (like less than 30 F or so). If ya can stand the cold, try running the heater less. 'Course, there are times when defrost is mandatory, so don't go and be unsafe! My commute lasts about 12 minutes, and almost always I end up at less than 50 MPG for both 5 minute segments. But if I leave the car on for the additional 3 minutes to get past the 15 minute segment it shows above 50 MPG. Go figure, but I seem to be on the brink of better mileage if I only had a slightly longer commute. Maybe find a different/better (longer) route to drive. I know it sounds counterintuitive to do so, but the nature of the Prius is to keep the emissions clean at the expense of burning gas in the warmup period. Love my Prius!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is????

1. EV Mode? I keep seeing people talk about this?

2. dual 6" subs (sounds like dinner for two) are you talking about woofers?

3. Where did you get power lumbar? Is that an option. I certainly would like ANY lumber, power or not.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: What is????

drtravel47 said:
1. EV Mode? I keep seeing people talk about this?....
"Electric vehicle" mode. In some countries (not US), there is installed an EV switch that will allow the driver to put the car into EV mode and drive without the ICE (internal combustion engine) on, provided the conditions are right (sufficient charge, low speed, etc.). There are vendors with aftermarket modifications to allow a US Prius to tap into the ability. Apparently it's available in the computer of the car, just not out where the driver can activate it.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I get 25-30 MPG for the first five minutes even in 70 degree weather.

I would bet an EV switch might be good here, as long as the speed is under 34 MPH, which is the limit EV will stay engaged.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Re: What is????

drtravel47 said:
1. EV Mode? I keep seeing people talk about this?

2. dual 6" subs (sounds like dinner for two) are you talking about woofers?

3. Where did you get power lumbar? Is that an option. I certainly would like ANY lumber, power or not.

My particular EV mode is the headlight flasher version. It's free and the 'program' or whatever is in all Prius, you just have to throw a ground to the ECU over in the passenger kick panel. I used this guide: http://www.priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=5 It's pretty straightforward and I LOVE the ability to go all electric at low speeds when conditions (battery charged, warm engine, etc.) are right!

I've installed two 6" Panasonic sub-woofers under each of the front seats in custom boxes I built. Put the amp in the below-floor cargo in back, plus wired a "bass knob" into it that is in the blank panel next to the dimmer switch so I can control the bass output. It has REALLY made my stock system (non-JBL) sound better, more solid, full.

The power Lumbar in both the front seats is a Rostra product. It's basically an air bladder with air pump that you slip inside the seat and it inflates/deflates in that small of your back area. Has made the 'sparse' Prius seats much more comfortable. There's a thread here on PriusChat that discusses lumbar AND heated seats. Just do a "lumbar" search. I actually got the lumbar product from my old company in Denver, called PDA, INC. 303-761-6022 or http://66.70.95.71/index.asp.

Hope this helps. Love my Prius!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts