Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info, I did read the thread regarding mud-flaps. I would have thought that you guys would need extra space for camping etc. but perhaps you have all given up the great outdoors in the US?
Bob

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
hyperion said:
Not one of us campers DARED to give up our SUV's, or mini-vans. The Prius makes a perfect 2nd car!
I'm not a camper... (except maybe in certain online video games, where the word has a slightly different meaning) ... but it seems to me if I were so inclined it'd be more advantageous to rent an SUV for the 'lets go camping' weekend rather than owning one the whole rest of the year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm! 2nd car is a VW Polo, even smaller! Easy answer is to take less equipment and hope it dosn't rain or turn cold. South of France should provide nice weather in June. I can pack my toothbrush and one tee shirt in the many compartments in the Prius.
Bob (and I thought all you guys were one car Prius devotees!)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well, this will be the first Summer we have the Prius; and we go camping a lot. We haven't given up the Explorer yet, but we are very seriously considering replacing both the Explorer AND the second car (Hyundai Accent) with a more economical car. A used classic Prius, TDI Volkswagen (to run on Bio-diesel, of course,) and even a Honda Insight are on the list. (The Insight would become my day-to-day car, since I average 40+ miles a day, and the '04 Prius would be my wife's commuter plus family car. Otherwise, I'd keep the '04 Prius, and the classic Prius/TDI would be my wife's commuter.) The big thing then would be camping. We have my wife and I, one 10 year old, one infant, and a dog. We all fit in the Prius just fine with some luggage, but fitting our monster tent, plus camping supplies would be difficult. So we have thought about a roof-top luggage box. (The other option is one of those hitch-mount cargo 'trays'.)

A TDI Jetta Wagon is our preferred car, because it not only has more cargo space than any of the others, but also has the ability to tow a small trailer. But those seem to have a $3000 premium on them right now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Man I take my Prius camping and to Home Depot, works great at both. Hyperion, you know the rear seats fold down right? Never had an SUV and likely never will -- I have to make up for my brother's Cayanne Turbo! ;-)

Spike

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
ehurtley said:
Well, this will be the first Summer we have the Prius; and we go camping a lot. We haven't given up the Explorer yet, but we are very seriously considering replacing both the Explorer AND the second car (Hyundai Accent) with a more economical car. A used classic Prius, TDI Volkswagen (to run on Bio-diesel, of course,) and even a Honda Insight are on the list. (The Insight would become my day-to-day car, since I average 40+ miles a day, and the '04 Prius would be my wife's commuter plus family car. Otherwise, I'd keep the '04 Prius, and the classic Prius/TDI would be my wife's commuter.) The big thing then would be camping.
I hear & read this a lot. Camping types who keep a larger gas guzzler than otherwise needed for normal day-to-day frequently solo commuting & errands.

Have you sat down with pencil paper calculator & figured how it would work out financially to have 2 small, fuel efficient vehicles (Prii ?) & RENT a larger one for the camping trips ?

Depends on how often or course. Savings in fuel, registration, insurance, maintenance, buying roof top equipment, trailers, etc along with a good deal renting an SUV could be cheaper & better way to go.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
First off, it seems that the average American car owner has accepted the increase price in fuel as just another increase cost of car ownership. You rate your priorities. The cost of dumping a paid for SUV for a new Prius will never make economic sense. Those fold down seats will never accept a 4 by 8 ft. sheet of plywood, and the list goes on and on. Rental fees are horrendous and they aren't that readily available in my area.
The Prius is a fantastic car if your commute is say 60 miles round trip as the average is here with most of it "in traffic." After that, I find the seats becoming uncomfortable but when the Mobil bill comes all criticism disappears.
If you can use the extra room and seats, (family and pets) a used SUV or mini-van becomes a great buy.
About the roof carriers and rear trailer hitch racks you have to check your car manual for weight limits. 800 pounds doesn't go too far.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I do accept the price of gas, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact I wish it would go to $5. Wouldn't change my habits at all. Gasoline is a very small part of my budget, as it was before I owned a Prius. At the end of the year, I would be surprised if gas were 2% of my overall budget. I spend far more in mortgage interest than I ever will in gas.

I can camp with my wife, I, my son, and our dog in the Prius. I am not saying I don't have to think about how I place stuff, I do, but it is easy. I did rent a truck at Home depot last year, they have trucks they will rent you for 19.95 for like 90 minutes. I needed some pieces of fencing. And I don't know an SUV out there that could have taken them. Probly a few minivans, with all the seats out or a pickup. Even a very old truck owned outright, would cost more to insure, register and mait. than the $20 that truck rental cost me -- heck, you don't even have to put gas in it! If I had to rent one once a month, it still wouldn't make sense to buy a truck. And again if it is outright carrying capacity of people and goods, a minivan is the most economical vehicle and safer. You want to own a gas guzzler, fine, but don't say you "need' one for daily life. Very very few people do.

Spike

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
But Spike, if you own one, and it's paid for, don't dump it for 43 MPG. If you have a family and gas isn't a priority why stuff a full load into a midsized sedan. That's why the mini-van has been the hot family item since Chryslers first in 1982. I won't compare the VW van with the Chrysler products. I guess the best word for the defense of the Van is that it's so darn convenient. In "07" it will be hybrid.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm glad there are still some open-air types over there. I used to trail a sailing dinghy, two canoes, camping gear, two daughters plus wife and beagle dog with a 1200 Triumph Herald (the name probably never reached the States!). The dog or one of the daughters was usually sick before we reached our holiday destination, so I often wonder why we ever did it! Happy days. At least in our 'mature' years we can have the odd night in a hotel if the going gets tough. I've decided that if I buy the luggage box I will switch off the display and not count lower mpg!
Bob.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
hyperion said:
800 pounds doesn't go too far.
I haven't read the manual *that* thoroughly... Is it 4 passengers + 800 pounds or 800 pounds? Because if the former, when you're alone you can add (at least) another 600 pounds to that.

As for seat comfort... Since my wife and I are two days away from 1250 miles one-way, one-day, I'll wait until then to comment completely. For my 75 mile commute it's just fine for my 6' 1", 250# frame.

And lastly...Hyperion... Some of your posts make me think you're completely dissatisfied while others say otherwise? Can you please answer one question? (besides that one) If you were in a position to go back and choose a different vehcile instead... Would you? Or would you still choose a Prius? :?:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I think hyperion is our resident realist. an unfortunate trait, but there you have it. he's ours, and we're just going to have to keep him. :)

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
To answer Melgish. After researching hybrids for a year I really wanted one more out of curiousity than anything else. You'll all have to forgive me here if I come off as a "devils advocate." I decided I didn't want to wait for five more years to get an American hybrid and knew exactly (I thought) what I was getting. A small Japanese 4 dr sedan which would be fine for all around driving short trips. Since none were available to look at my first experiance with the car was on the original drive home from the dealers. I like the car very much but would never think of even trying to make the round trip from New England to Texas that my wife and I did twice a year for fifteen years very comfortably in a Chrysler mini van. I also was surprised to find the total lack of instrumentation in the car. Before I ordered the car I was given a new Camry to drive as the dealer said it was very similar to the Prius. (except, it was fully instrumented)
This didn't concern me one bit as the Prius 04 had been on the street for a year and I intended on picking up the instrument package on the after market..This has been my only complaint about the car as there is no aftermarket and the 100,000 or so previous buyers were not one bit concerned about this. I've stumbled into a completely different car buying group than I've ever encountered before. No evidence of a Prius mechanic that can answer a question that isn't just a guess. I've spent the bucks for a service manual package and have found it almost completely worthless and very poorly written just as I believe the owners manual is. My only guess is that there is no Japanese word for "index."
Do I think I could have raised my three kids with this as an only car? Not a chance, but now that we are retired it will do. I am fortunate to still own a classic Cad Conv which we use for our long trips and hopefully will be able to upgrade to a hybrid mini-van in 07 when the American industry gets off the dime!
Until then, you are probably stuck with me, I still believe the US car industry makes as good or better product than the Japanese. In Michigan alone General Motors spends 12 billion dollars a year in goods and services. That's more than Toyota spends on the whole North American continent, and I cringe to think what could happen if they fail. Hearing people actually gloat about their troubles bothers me as it should do you. I hate to hear their management critisized because of mis-management as they have to pick up the tab for medical and retirement expenses of retired employees who have worked for them for forty or more years. This is happening to all the older major US businesses who are now having to compete with "upstart" companies with junior employees, lower benefits and salaries. The major airlines are another example. This use to be the American way and business was expected to take care of their employees. Now the public seems to think the government should, thus making products "cheaper." $1700.00 of the cost of every car GM makes goes for employee health care. Pretty hard to compete with the orient even with Mexico so close.
Anyway I think it makes for a little different approach to the subjects brought forward here.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
hyperion said:
Those fold down seats will never accept a 4 by 8 ft. sheet of plywood, and the list goes on and on.
Have you tried? I have fit three large folding-leg tables in the back of my Prius just fine, thank you very much. With the back gate closed. (Just measured, they are 30" by 6 feet.) Not quite a 4 by 8, but as they fit flat, I'm sure a 4-by-8 would fit at an angle. Yeah, it'd stick out the back a bit, but you could carry them. I have fit all sorts of odd things in the back of my Prius. (Love seat, dining room set...)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
hyperion said:
E, you've got to be kidding!!
Nope, three 30" by 6' tables fit just fine in the back. I had to move the driver's seat a little uncomfortably far forward, but they fit with the back end closed. I've bought cabinet sets at Home Depot, plywood (sorry, don't remember the size, but I know it was smaller than the tables,) and all sorts of things that fit just fine with the back seat folded down. Only one thing required the use of the old Ford Explorer: An old kids wading pool. (That just barely fit in the Explorer.)

Sorry, I didn't take pictures of the tables, but I think I'm going to need to haul them across town again next month, so I'll be sure to get pictures then for you.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts