Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that when you have an mp3 disc loaded that the folder list is not always available?

Last night I loaded my 6 disc changer with 5 mp3 discs for the ride into work this morning. Tested out the discs, opened the folder list, saw all the tracks, folders, etc.

I got in the car this morning, started up some music, but the folder list button on the display was greyed out. I've noticed that this is sometimes due to the fact that the stereo is reading the disc, but I drove for 30 minutes this morning and the folder list never became available.

Is there a button I can push to fix this? or is this a possible defect?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After looking around some more, it sounds like the mp3 folder list is disabled when the car is in motion. argggg!!!!

I think there is a mod that can be done to disable this, but I don't want to void my warranty!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here's how: Speed wire interrupt

I haven't done this myself yet, but I'm seriously thinking about it. I've been assured it doesn't "void the warranty" in any way except for anything having to do with this specific part. It still makes me nervous, though.

I wish we could hack the software instead to tie that function to the presence of a passenger.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HunterGreen said:
Here's how: Speed wire interrupt

I haven't done this myself yet, but I'm seriously thinking about it. I've been assured it doesn't "void the warranty" in any way except for anything having to do with this specific part. It still makes me nervous, though.

I wish we could hack the software instead to tie that function to the presence of a passenger.
Good link, I saw this mod described over at priuschat.com, but your link looks pretty detailed.

Are you absolutely sure that this doesn't void the warranty?? I can live without the enabled audio functions if it turns out I can't get service down the line b/c of it.

Plus you lose some of the display, the wheels don't move (minor), and you lose the every 5 minute display on energy production. Obviously these are minor, but still it's not a full proof solution.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you put a switch in, rather than cutting the wire, you only lose those functions for the minute you've got the switch flipped.

As for the warranty, I'm only repeating what I've read. Nothing definitive, mind you. I would surely like something more solid, and as time permits, I'll be trying to figure that out before I go ahead with this. Too much on my plate right now to even think about doing this though.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
At least for the 2004/2005, there were some side effects to disabling the speed input to the MFD.
For one, the energy display animation would not operate. On the consumption screen, you would not have any bars display in the graph even though you were moving and consuming fuel. I suppose checking for movement during any 5 minute period was how to avoid a divide-by-zero error in the MPG calculations. My understanding is that the average MPG and mileage is not affected as the data for these is obtained through the network.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.