Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Previos Cellphone finally Crapped out on me this last weekend and I went out a bought the Razr. Never had a Bluetooth phone before and the thing is amazing. Really easy to interface with the Prius (took about 2 minutes) and love not having to take my hands off the wheel to make a phone call. Now I just have to transfer each of my 200+ phone Numbers into the system. Wish You could do it all at once, but apparently you have to enter each individually.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
BOXOUTBM said:
My Previos Cellphone finally Crapped out on me this last weekend and I went out a bought the Razr. Never had a Bluetooth phone before and the thing is amazing. Really easy to interface with the Prius (took about 2 minutes) and love not having to take my hands off the wheel to make a phone call. Now I just have to transfer each of my 200+ phone Numbers into the system. Wish You could do it all at once, but apparently you have to enter each individually.
People, is this true? If so, that's friggin' insane! I have about 500 contacts. That's why I got a SmartPhone...so's I can interface with my Outlook contact database. I thought the bluetooth option was more intelligent than this.... :?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
BIF said:
People, is this true? If so, that's friggin' insane! I have about 500 contacts. That's why I got a SmartPhone...so's I can interface with my Outlook contact database. I thought the bluetooth option was more intelligent than this.... :?
The ability to upload contacts is a feature of the phone, not of the Bluetooth system in the car. Depending on the phone, you may not be able to upload any contacts at all (like the Motorolla V710 (which owners have a class action lawsuit against Verizon over it) and the RIM Blackberries), you may only be able to upload 1 contact at a time (like the RAZR and most Nokia models), or you could upload the entire contact list at once (like most Sony Ericsson models).

Some things to note about uploading phone numbers:

The Prius will only accept the first number associated with a name. So, if you have one contact for John Doe with multiple numbers associated with it (home, work, cell, fax, etc.), it could get very interesting on which number it picks. Best to set up your phone book with multiple descriptive names for each number, like John Doe H, John Doe W, John Doe C, John Doe F, etc.

The Prius does not like the three characters ()- embedded in a phone number. If those characters are transferred with the number, then on the Prius display you'll just see a bunch of ||||| characters.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something Else I have Noticed when uploading my Phone list is the following. Like MRV suggested I have all of my contact numbers set individually by form of contact. For example on my phone it reads

John Doe - Cell
John Doe - Home
John Doe - Office

Now when I upload those numbers into the Prius they will display on the Prius Phone Book as:

C - Joh
John - H
Doe -Off

It is very random and I can't figure out why it does not display the same way I have it set on my Cell Phone. I researched this through the multiple links provided in this forum and nothing I can find explain this or how to fix it. Weird.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please disregard my previos post. I just re-read MRV post. Apparently I didn't grasp the portion that mention that the Prius does not like () - Characters, thus causing my phone book to display differently. I guess I need more coffee this morning.

·
Registered
581 Posts
BOXOUTBM- What provider do you have? Methinks it must be Cingular, as that is what my coworker got to replace his Verizon service in his Prius. I think that ROKR are only available from Cingular too.

·
Registered
548 Posts
mrv said:
The ability to upload contacts is a feature of the phone, not of the Bluetooth system in the car.
I'm sorry mrv, that's not entirely true.

Phones all push their contacts over in vCard format via OBEX. Some phones will keep the connection open and push each contact in the same session, and some will drop and reestablish the connection, which is where the prius runs into problems.

It also can't parse a vCard to save it's freakin life, but that's another story entirely.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BOXOUTBM- What provider do you have? Methinks it must be Cingular, as that is what my coworker got to replace his Verizon service in his Prius. I think that ROKR are only available from Cingular too.[/img]
I have T-Mobile as my provider, which unless I am mistaken Cingular has something to do with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts