Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota is doublining its production to 100,000 units per year. this should help th eprice come down a bit

·
Registered
59 Posts
egold56 said:
Toyota is doublining its production to 100,000 units per year. this should help th eprice come down a bit
You got a source for that? Or are you just spouting things that can't be independently verified?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Tharkun said:
egold56 said:
You got a source for that? Or are you just spouting things that can't be independently verified?
Certainly can be ind. verified, as it was widely reported in all newspapers I read, yesterday and today. try looking on Yahoo company news under ticker TM (or even F for Ford has it today) and you'll find it.

rpm

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Just as Toyota has sold thousands of Corrola's because of the scarcity of the Prius So Ford will do with their "cheapos" All Ford wants ro do is have a model that you will have to get "on a list" for. Take heed You Toyota dealers charging $3,000 above msrp. The memory of the auto buying public is long. Hopefully, this will make G.M. adhear to their plans of all hybrids in 2007.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't kid yourselves. The Ford Hybrid SUV will be very expensive, just
like the Highlander will be. In fact, the claims are the only inexpensive
true hybrid will be the Prius for quite some time.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
OK, I contacted my local Ford dealer and until the show gets on the road I can now get one in the next several weeks. I know the Hybrid system was purchased from Toyota but my Toyota dealer says that they were given the 2003 hybrid system. I don't know what the differences are! The specs read like those of the Prius except the "ICE" is stated as 2.3 L instead of Prius 1.5. FWD hybrid MSRP is $26,970 (invoice price $25,233) 4X4 MSRP is $28,595 (invoice price $26,712) Both, fully equipped Today you can get one,no wait at MSRP. Next Week????? You can see they come in more expensive than the Prius until you take into consideration the 3 to 5,000 dollar markups added on by advantageous (polite term) dealers. These cars will be scarce for a year but then the ghost of Henry will rear up. and they should be readily available. This is good as I'm sure GM and Chrysler Mercedes will have to follow. So far I haven't been given the city/highway milage figures but I'm sure they are available at any Ford dealer. Selfishly, I want to see everything go hybrid so we can "scratch" the middle east. Milage can't come close to the Prius because the Escape like the Civic was not designed from the ground up as a hybrid, but every little bit helps.

·
Registered
515 Posts
hyperion said:
I know the Hybrid system was purchased from Toyota but my Toyota dealer says that they were given the 2003 hybrid system.
You are missing a vital part of that history.

Ford acquired THS (the 2001-2003 system) from their Volvo ownership.

Unfortunately for them, Ford's power requirements proved too much for THS. (Keep in mind they didn't have the Toyota/Panasonic battery-pack modules. Using "D" modules instead meant lower power-density and dealing with excessive heat.)

So, they relunctantly abandoned it. Fortunately, they learned enough to understand the value of it.

That resulted in the creation of their own system, which just happens to closely resemble HSD... hence a monetary agreement with Toyota over patent concerns.

·
Registered
59 Posts
rpm said:
Certainly can be ind. verified, as it was widely reported in all newspapers I read, yesterday and today. try looking on Yahoo company news under ticker TM (or even F for Ford has it today) and you'll find it.

rpm
That's good because I don't like the spread of disinformation which can lead to wrong conclusions.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Put me down in the "doubtful" column when it comes to either Ford or GM actually developing, manufacturing, and SELLING an actual full-hybrid vehicle.

No, check that; put me down in the "extremely doubtful" column.

On third thought, put me down in the "when pigs fly" column.

My next car will probably be another Toyota hybrid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts