Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for your perusal, I'd picked up the July '03 Money Magazine on a recent flight. It had an article about the upcoming hybrids focusing on the '04 Prius with mention of the Lexus 330 and Ford Escape.

I was interested to see what they foresaw the investment opportunities and growth potential for the industry. Instead I found a very pessimistic author who feels people will either crave their power hungry SUVs and luxury cars or will want to save a couple thousand dollars rather than pay a little more for the hybrids. They calculated that it would take some 8 years to recover the cost in gas saved--they used $2.00/gallon for calculations which gives the advantage to the hybrid, but then they compared the 55mpg mid-size Prius to the 38mpg compact--hmmm. They also discounted the fact that the Prius is so much more advanced technology and feature wise and to get that feature pack would jack up the price of any comparable vehicle.

All in all I got the sense that the author had never driven a hybrid and that he probably hadn't done his research well on the number of hybrids already on the road and the high customer satisfaction or the number already ordered months before the '04 is even available.

Tempted to right a venomous letter to the editor, but we'll see....
--evan

·
Registered
11 Posts
:x
Most probably the author is either one of those Bussiness graduates that have no clue of reality or the owner of a gas guzzling contraption.

Los Angeles
2003 - Aqua Ice - kitchen sink missing

·
Registered
36 Posts
Of course, what is NOT factored into such aritcles is the "hidden" cost of what we are doing to the environment. One day those costs won't be so easy to bury and the importance of burning less fossil will cary more "weight" in such articles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes, I've noticed how much misinformation is generated by so called experts who should know better. Earlier, during the Prius introduction period, one writer actually reversed the city/highway mileage rating given to the Prius. Hmmmph, indeed! who ever heard of an automobile giving more mileage in town than on the road. Money Magazine looks after people who are interested in money and extraordinary fuel savings is not in the best interest of money makers. I simply add here, if anyone buys a Prius or any other hybrid to save the cost of fuel, he or she is buying it for the wrong reason.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all Thoes who wrote about writers making mistakes in their reports are so correct. With out any first hand information about the Prius or even a test drive these writers grab that computer and fumbel through all the information that was given to them at the Toyota Press Meeting. Repeating the information that a dozen or more writers are doing. You people need to go out there and drive a Prius smell that new car smell, feel the upholstering, work with that wonderful seven inch LCD screen, just plain get to know what you are talking about.
I have had a week to drive and experience the real thing in my Salsa Red Pearl 2004 Prius. And for thoes who have only written about a car from a piece of paper with some words on it, throw away the paper and get your experience from a long drive in that new generation 2004 Toyota Prius you will be glad you did.
dupie61 [/b]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone,

Even beyond the obvious savings to the environment, these fellows are plain wrong about

A) the value of the car
The dealer I bought from estimated Toyota is selling a $30,000 vehicle for $21,000.

B) the gas savings. My friend, who has a long daily commute, estimates she saves over $350 a month driving her Toyota hybrid instead of her previous BMW M3. That's more than enough to make her monthly payment.

C) amortizing the cost of the hybrid technology. Toyota claims that the added cost to each Prius for hybrid technology is $1500. Most daily drivers will make that up at the pump in three years (not eight years as Money Mag claims).

Come on, Money Magazine, count your bucks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My friend, who has a long daily commute, estimates she saves over $350 a month driving her Toyota hybrid instead of her previous BMW M3. That's more than enough to make her monthly payment.
I think you will make these business men lough at you if you compare a BMW M3 to a Prius. A Prius is certainly not a sports car like the M3 is. However, something that these authors still don't understand - probably because they didn't test drive the Prius - is that people driving a M3, or an Audi, or a Mercedes can change for a Prius and have as much fun than with their previous car. Different kind of fun, but as much fun. The Prius makes a lot of drivers happy, and people can pay a premium for that. Comparing the Prius price and savings to that of a base Corolla is pure nonsense, in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts