Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to modify and play with the software running the Multi-Information display on my new 2006 Prius! As a first test, I would simply like to be able to download the binary data, hex edit some simple text string, and upload it back to the Prius. If the change works, I would then like to do some further things like:

1) Allow the FM radio MSG function while driving
2) Turn off back-up beeping
3) Turn off seatbelt beeping
4) Allow custum button combo to turn on the camera at any time, even when not backing up. How about having it on while driving!?!?! Way cool.
5) Turn the MID into a PC display device, either for my laptop or another connected device -- movie output, XBOX?
--
Kristian Hermansen

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
This discussion is far beyond the realm of a public discussion board I don't know where to start. Short version is that it is virtually impossible for even an expert to get access, modify, test, and operate modified software. What isn't proprietary will still be protected from access. You would have to understand the buses, processors, prototcols, data storgage, and operating systems. If you are asking the question then the answer is beyond your grasp. The car is not made for user modification, other than the scant few customizable features programmed with a $5K Toyota tester.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to someone else on this forum, you need a ~$10,000 device to access the software. Even if you get a hold of it, the updates come directly from the Toyota internal network and are stored on the device for transfer to the vehicle. If you get the chance to put it on the vehicle, it takes a long time for some type of diagnostic routine to run. This doesn't look good for a hacker like me! Doh, there's no hidden ports for monitoring or something? Man, all I wanted to do was flip some bits :-(

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
khermans said:
I would like to modify and play with the software running the Multi-Information display on my new 2006 Prius! As a first test, I would simply like to be able to download the binary data, hex edit some simple text string, and upload it back to the Prius. If the change works, I would then like to do some further things like:

1) Allow the FM radio MSG function while driving
2) Turn off back-up beeping
3) Turn off seatbelt beeping
4) Allow custum button combo to turn on the camera at any time, even when not backing up. How about having it on while driving!?!?! Way cool.
5) Turn the MID into a PC display device, either for my laptop or another connected device -- movie output, XBOX?
--
Kristian Hermansen
Seems to me that some of what you want is already accessible throught the vehicle's limited interface. Search the site for info about the back-up beep and the seatbelt beep and you will find instructions on how to turn both off. No need to fruitlessly atempt to dig into the bowels of the beast with your bare hand to take care of those small issues.

The RDS data display while rolling can be acomplished with the nav access defeat swtich mod that some have developed and deployed. The idea is simple. Prevent the subsystem that prevents manipulation of the nav system, and subsequently display of FM-RDS data while rolling. Search for that one because I'm foggy on the specifics, but it basically prevents the MFD subsystem from seeing that the wheels are rolling and as such you have access to reprogram the NAV system and RDS data displays.

And I think there is an interface out there which allows you to graft on an external video source, however if you have a vehicle with NAV that cannot be acomplished because NAV is considered by the vehicle to be an "external" video source.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jeromep said:
Seems to me that some of what you want is already accessible throught the vehicle's limited interface. Search the site for info about the back-up beep and the seatbelt beep and you will find instructions on how to turn both off. No need to fruitlessly atempt to dig into the bowels of the beast with your bare hand to take care of those small issues.

And I think there is an interface out there which allows you to graft on an external video source, however if you have a vehicle with NAV that cannot be acomplished because NAV is considered by the vehicle to be an "external" video source.
Thanks for the tips! This is a 2006 Prius.

1) The RDS "MSG" defeat is not that big of a deal, but I heard that the NAV defeat which it relies upon is not present in the 2006 model. I don't have a NAV system on mine for the record either.

2) the back up beep defeat worked just fine.

3) I will also try the seat-belt defeat tomorrow!

4/5) Seems this site has something to enable the CAMERA at will and also allow for external video/audio input sources!
http://www.coastaletech.com/video_preview.htm

Thanks again! How would I survive without the internet!??!?!
--
Kristian Hermansen

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
khermans said:
Thanks for the tips! This is a 2006 Prius.

1) The RDS "MSG" defeat is not that big of a deal, but I heard that the NAV defeat which it relies upon is not present in the 2006 model. I don't have a NAV system on mine for the record either.

2) the back up beep defeat worked just fine.

3) I will also try the seat-belt defeat tomorrow!

4/5) Seems this site has something to enable the CAMERA at will and also allow for external video/audio input sources!
http://www.coastaletech.com/video_preview.htm

Thanks again! How would I survive without the internet!??!?!
--
Kristian Hermansen
The NAV "while rolling" defeat switch was a physical switch that was grafted onto the vehicle which disconnected the wheel sensors which told the MFD that you were moving (when the switch was activated it told the car you were not moving) and as such prevented it from allowing configuration or destination choice while driving. This is not an on screen switch provided by Toyota.

I have not done business with Costal Tech, however the general consensus here is that the owner has a day job and as such his ability to fabricate Prius adaptations is limited and doesn't seem to be shipping much right now. To the rest of PriusOnline, if I'm wrong please let me know.

And as far as the Internet is concerned: this year will be the 10th year I have been on the Internet. In fact I believe it was March of 1996 that I purchased my first Internet subscription and I have had an email address since. The Internet is a utility now. So really, we are all less in wonder about the Internet, and more beholden to the presences of search engines on the Internet. I'm not sure where I would be without Internet search engines.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Lets clear up some misconceptions.
First you have the drivetrain, which uses the CAN network, the body electronics, which uses the BEAN network, and the audio/visual electronics, which use the AVC network. These sections operate autonomoously for the most part, though they do share communications via the gateway ECU. When your dealer provides a program update due to a TSB or campaign, this is to reprogram one of the drivetrain ECU's only, mainly the ECM and HV ECU. This has nothing to do with the BEAN based ECUs or the AVC based ECUS. Recall that the 'reprogramming' of the combination meter for the fuel guage problem required a replacement, not an onboard reprogram. AVC is the same way, though some program changes can be accomplished with a DVD update through the NAV.

The heart of the AVC is the MFD. MFD functions are extended with the NAV ECU. I don't think the DVD software updates can update the MFD firmware, but examining text located in the LOADING.KWI suggested this may be a remote possiblility.
The MFD has RGBS inputs. Those inputs are turned on and used when the MFD is in a mode that would require external video input. Such situations would include NAV, backup camera, DVD/Video entertainment. The DVD/video/TV entertainment was and is available in the Japan market. Since we don't have DVD/Video, but is available in other markets, the MFD might still have programming to activate those inputs. It would have to be tricked to do so with proper instructions through the AVC. I suspect that is how the CanView works, though he may have used the Auto-Park feature, also unused in all markets but Japan. Now that I think about it, that is most likely, as that also requires touchscreen output which the canview also needs and uses.

Speed sensors. There are two inputs, at least for the 2004/2005, not 100% on 2006. One went to the MFD, one went to the NAV. Some lockouts used the MFD speed sense, some used the NAV, depending on the function base. This is why the speed override easteregg worked on NAV but not BT.

So, if you really wanted to customize the operation of the MFD, you have to extract, disassemble, change, recompile and upload the firmware in the MFD, as long as it is not NAV based function. For NAV based functions, you might be able to disassemble, change and reassemble the LOADING.KWI, which would most likely reprogram the NAV.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DanMan32 said:
So, if you really wanted to customize the operation of the MFD, you have to extract, disassemble, change, recompile and upload the firmware in the MFD, as long as it is not NAV based function. For NAV based functions, you might be able to disassemble, change and reassemble the LOADING.KWI, which would most likely reprogram the NAV.
I only really want to mod the MFD code, not the drive train or other critical electronics!!! That would be a bad idea for sure :)

Can you please send me a copy of the LOADING.KWI file or tell me how to obtain it? I can try playing around with it. How big is the file? Do you just burn it to CD and the MFD updates from it automatically? Are there other files as well that I would need?

I wouldn't really dissasemble-->reassemble -- more likely just hex edit some strings and obvious values to test first. I don't have NAV or BT, but I do have package #2 (HF). Are the electronics to work the NAV/BT system physically in there but disabled? Someone on this forum said that the NAV/BT comes as a whole package, but that was later corrected for newer models (mine is 2006). Maybe the components aren't there, but the software is and just disabled? Maybe they select a certain profile for the car when loading it -- and that disables certain functions in the code from running? Interesting. And, is it possble to update this MFD from CD if I don't have the NAV or BT systems? I mean, will it still look for the file on the disc when powering up?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The LOADING.KWI is part of the NAV system. It's on the NAV DVD. The NAV system is its own ECU. If it were really part of the MFD and the box under my seat were just a DVD reader, it wouldn't need video out of the NAV.

Since you don't have NAV, don't worry about LOADING.KWI, or it updating the MFD (which I don't think it does anyway)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
DanMan32 said:
The LOADING.KWI is part of the NAV system. It's on the NAV DVD. The NAV system is its own ECU. If it were really part of the MFD and the box under my seat were just a DVD reader, it wouldn't need video out of the NAV.

Since you don't have NAV, don't worry about LOADING.KWI, or it updating the MFD (which I don't think it does anyway)
OK, DanMan-San.... Gosh you do know your "Binary Code-related" stuffs ! Now, I do have a question for you. Have a customer that has both an 04 BC #6 Nav package Prius + Now the 06 Highlander Hybrid. and he wants the Blue-Tooth phone to be integrated to his 06 HH MFD along with the Nav feature. The HH has the Nav package already, is such upgrade or reconfiguration of Firmware and Software to enable the implementation and deployment of the additon of the "Bluetooth" phone unto his MFD even remotely possible ?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I'm suprised he doesn't already have BT. But as I have said, I believe the actual BT is in the MFD, especially when the speed defeat works differently (you actually have to deny the speed input to the MFD) than it does for the NAV based functions.

The LOADING.KWI has several modules in it for various models and markets, or at least it has that capability. This is why you can have one DVD version for several vehicle models that have different hardware. Even if the DVD had the BT software (which I suspect it doesn't), you need the hardware to go with it.

But honestly, I don't have any information on the Hylander.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.