Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was examining a new 05 Prius, the salesman opened the hood and said "The Prius comes with Mobil 1 oil installed. You must use this oil or the vehicle-motor warranty will be cancelled!" Tell me, does this salesman know what he is talking about? :?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ask for a couple of free synthetic oil change coupons, to "make sure you follow his directions." See how fast the car now magically has standard oil. :)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Since the dealer is not a party to the warrantee contract (but is instead merely an agent who carries out the factory's warrantee), he cannot modify the terms of the warrantee contract.

If he can show you where your official Toyota warrantee documentation states you must use Mobil-1, then he is right.

(insert deafening silence)

Now you know how much this dealer's word is worth. You have been forewarned. Where is the next closest dealer?

·
Registered
110 Posts
in addition as ive said before mercedes benz insists that you use mobil 1 or your engine warranty will be voided. true check it out. plus its just another little positive reenforcement that you are being extra kind to your car.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I think it is standard knowledge that the synthetics would be a much better choice for the standard buyer who pays little attention to milage or time periods for lubricant replacement. For the guy who loves his car and does pay more attention to the details mineral is fine. The only criticism I have ever heard of the synthetics (like Mobil 1) are that it finds anywhere it can to "leak." This usually occurs on very high milage cars.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: This reminds me of an evaluation I have heard for *many* years: "A salesman would rather climb a tree and lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth!"

The kindest comment I would make about this "salesman" is that he is stupid or dumb or both.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i should have added that normally you DO want to wait a few hundred or so miles before you to switch to synthetic. the problem is its too slippery!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
1. There is no warranty stipulation about the kind of motor oil to use in your Prius, so long as it is 5W-30.

2. Toyota factory fill is regular 5W-30.

3. Can you trust this dealer any more? I can understand if he wanted to espouse the benefits of synthetic over regular oil, however I don't understand the necessity to lie about something that is immaterial to the sale of the vehicle, and may just have become material to you, the buyer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't know who your salesman happened to be David. But it certainly IS NOT Mobil 1 synthetic. Are you sure the salesman didn't tell you NOT to put Mobil 1 in prior to 20,000 miles? Mobil has the contract for Toyota Motor Oil and it is standard 5-30w. You should never switch out your standard oil in a new motor until at least 10,000 miles if you are going to a synthetic. Considering that the Prius motor works part time, we'd say 20,000 to be sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts