Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of moving out of my apartment and am borrowing a van from my parents and they are borrowing my prius. Going back (at least temporarly) to a "normal" vehicle helps me to remember the things that make the prius such a great car. The first and most obvious of these is the noise level while operating the vehicle. What are some other peoples experiences with driving a non hybrid car after getting used to the prius?

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I get angry or annoyed with the non-Prius car for not having at least idle-stop. Why have the engine running when I'm stuck in this long red traffic light?

I also miss the comforatble upright seating in the Prius. My other car is very low in comparison.

Shift points on the regular automatic transmission and the jerkiness that I never paid much attention to before I had a Prius.

and then there's the more frequent stops at the gas station for far more gas with my other non-Prius car (compared to my Prius... the other car is actually pretty good on gas for a car, usually around 30+/- 3 MPG)

However, I find that my other car is GREAT at coasting. It just goes on and on at fairly close to the same speed after I let go of the accelerator. The Prius starts regenerative braking when I let off of the accelerator, and slows me down, so I have to apply more pressure again to quickly get back up to speed... Could be why I rarely ever used cruise control in my previous car, but now I use it all the time (backroads and such) with my Prius.

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had to use our 95 Voyager several times since we bought the Prius. Although it has power steering, it seems like I'm driving a Tank. Like Michelle, listening to the engine run when it's not needed frustrates me. Then I fill it with this $1.57 per gallon regular gas, knowing that I'll get 19-20 mpg. Please, Toyota, get that Estima here!

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck getting it back from your mom - she makes me take the "Big Red Bus" (GMC Savanna 2500)

[%sig%]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On getting the car back from "Mom".

The trick is to use some artifice to get "Mom" to stay in the locked car for a minute or so.

Once sufficient time has passed for the alarm to be enabled, motion for her to come out.

Now she is chasing you, swinging her purse like a cudgel amidst the wave of decibels.

Run like mad. In the house, out the back door, double around back to the car and drive away in your own car again.

good luck,
nathan

PS Charlie, This is another Hatton sighting. How many Hattons are there?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts