Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching the hump issue, I played around some more with Toyota's 360 viewer: http://www.toyota.com/prius/features.html

Selected 3 dimensions of Synergy Drive, and went through the presentation: http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2007/pri ... index.html

Discrepency: Presentation claims that low speeds Prius uses the motor and battery alone. That's true up to about 5-12 MPH, depending on acceleration, but beyond that, it is misleading. Also engine runs much more during first 5 minutes of operation to warm up the ICE and related components.
Then later it comes to midrange speeds. This is where I really was disappointed, as they claim the Prius favors electric drive over ICE.

Now the presentation is based on the 2004 model, and probably before all the firmware updates that were needed mainly because of ICE not starting in time as expected by the HV ECU, thus giving people panic attacks when they would get the triangle of death.

Has me thinking though that the Prius has the potential to achieve greater fuel efficiency, if Toyota had the firmware correct for the conditions that flagged false errors (such as allow more time for ICE to start) rather than changing overal operating conditions to avoid the conditions at the expense of efficiency.
But I could be wrong about that. Would be interesting to compare a 2006 Prius to an original, unpatched 2004, by driving them together on the same road.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I don't see it as that misleading. If you are going a constant speed on level ground, I think the statements are pretty accurate. Imagine the disclaimers they would have to put in to cover every condition. I suppose they could have put an asterisk and made the level ground, no acceleration stipulation.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At midrange speeds (which I would call about 40 MPH), the car does not favor electric. Even at 30 MPH where it might drive a bit on all electric, it can't do that for more than a mile before it flips to gas.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I just tried it. I set my cruise control to 35 on a level stretch of road (Meridian between Branham and Hillsdale). The ICE shut off and it continued that way until I had to stop at a light and start up again. I hit several greens and the distance was probably somewhere near a mile. That sounds like it "favored" electric to me. Granted, if I had been varying my speed I might have had less luck and the battery would eventually run down and the ICE would come on but I still think it is an ok statement.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
That is true. I believe I said the same thing. Anyway, I agree that it is on the optomistic side and could have had a few disclaimers. I just think that is how all marketing works and I don't see this as any more so than normal. Just look at the pictures of food on frozen food boxes and then make the product inside. Their is clearly a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.