Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving at night and it occurred to me that the headlights were awfully bright in the rear-view mirror. I hadn't done much of anything to the mirror...what I assume to be the dimming device seems to be on. But, when I turn it off, nothing much happens. The headlights stay the same regardless. My old Corolla seemed to do a better job with the manual flipping mechanism.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

marlowe

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
First, are you sure you have auto-dimming? You didn't cite year and package # so I can't be sure.

If you do have auto-dimming, you should see a green LED lit up when it is on.

If there is too much light coming from the front, the rear-view mirror may assume it is daylight and not dim. Try covering the sensor on the back of the mirror that is facing the front of the car and see if it dims.

I notice my mirror is dimmed when I back out of my garage on a bright, sunny day. It clears as soon as the whole car is out of the garage.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Another suggestion is to carefully rotate the mirror so it is flipped upside down. (Be careful which way you rotate to avoid stressing the wire). It seems to put the sensor more in line with the headlight beam of the trailing cars, making it dim better. It also gets it out of the way for tall drivers.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You can also tape a small tinted piece of plastic over the front sensor so it will be more resposive to lights behind you.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mirror dimmer question

Sorry for leaving out details. 2005/package 6 (with auto-dimmer).
I'll try the tape trick, but hate to have to jerry-rig something that's so visible.

Just seems like another instance where they went hi-tech where low-tech did the job better and simpler. Not that I'm complaining, mind you! I love the car!

Thanks for the input, though.

m

·
Registered
298 Posts
I also have a 2005/pgk #6 and my dimmer works just fine. Have it checked out by your dealer.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"I was driving at night and it occurred to me that the headlights were awfully bright in the rear-view mirror."
I can tell when the auto-dim feature is working by the pale blue-green tint of the headlights in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Even though I think the dimmer on Prius does not work as well as the one on my Bimmer, but the difference should be very obvious and effective compared with the side mirrors. If not, you should have yours checked by a dealer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mirror dimmer question

With regard to testing: Theoretically, shouldn't I just be able to turn the dimming off at night and see a difference? How long does/should it take to visibly change once I switch it off?

·
Registered
457 Posts
"With regard to testing: Theoretically, shouldn't I just be able to turn the dimming off at night and see a difference? How long does/should it take to visibly change once I switch it off?"
Haven't tried turning it off (I will). But (theoretically) since it's elec powered the change should be immediate...UNLESS.. it stays at whatever mode it was on when the power stops.
Again; ordinarilly the headlights in the miror are yellow/white. When the dimmer kicks in they get very pale blue green.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Turning it on and off is near immediate. You can see it dim and brighten gradually within seconds. You can probably use a flashlight to test it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts