2,348 Posts
At the coffee shop! Yes, I think I can make it. :D

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
John, do you still contact the local media for these gatherings, or has that level of interest come and gone?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The local media isn't that interested anymore. Prius has become far too common. (Sweet!) Heck, I see several everytime I commute to & from work now. This is just for us.

I'd like to establish a routine, so we can meet on a regular basis. Seeking out locations is by-far the hardest part, since I don't want to see interest die out as soon as the cold weather returns. So I'm struggling to find centralized locations. Finding a coffee shop with a decent amount of inside seating, quite a bit of parking space, and not being too close to any other busy stores has been quite a challenge. This brand new one in the north may work out really nice. I was absolutely delighted when I saw it.

In other words, interest for in-person Prius stuff is definitely growing. So I'm hoping to be able to establish something to fulfill that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Way up there?

Where were the last ones held in MN?
I'm way down at 494 and 35W on the other side of the cities.
There's still an outside chance I could make it if I'm not at the cabin that weekend.
Why is always at coffee shops? Not that I don't like coffe, but they ussually don't have all that much parking. With all the cargo room, you could plan a Prius grillout somewhere. Assign different food items to different people (and coffee) and meet somewhere with ample space and maybe even some nature around to enjoy.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Way up there?

Darwood said:
Where were the last ones held in MN?
I'm way down at 494 and 35W on the other side of the cities.
One was actually right there. But that Starbucks (on Penn) has terrible parking, since it is so busy there with all the other shopping traffic. We were quite squished.

I live down in that area too, and I'm still struggling to find a decent meeting location. One candidate is the Starbucks that just opened up across the highway (35W) from Buck Hill. But that's a little too far south. Going that far, it would be better to just meet at my church... which is across the street from a Caribou.

I'd love to have a picnic sometime. Lebanon Hills Regional Park (http://john1701a.com/prius/images/gathering_dakotacountypark.gif) likes hybrids. They have a grills, tables, a shelter, a large parking lot, and a beach right there on Schulze Lake.

As for needing to be at a coffee shop, where else could we meet where people can free come & go as they please at any time they desire and be guaranteed a comfortable place to sit & talk if the weather gets unfavorable (and during winter)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
How about the top floor of the Mall of America parking ramp?
Access to coffee, food, bars, and few cars park up there in the sun.

Other malls have extensive parking that only gets used in the Christmas season. I'm right by Southdale and one end of the parking lot gets used as a dealer lot for Mini Coopers and the other side of the mall, the Cadilac dealer parks some of there cars. We could have a meet there and park all the Prii next to there Escalades!

The Valley Fair parking lot over by the seperate amusement center? We'd have to pay a few bucks to park, but those who wanted to, could go into Valley Fair. Or some could just play putt putt and etc. at the amusement center without admission. They have food and stuff there and plenty of parking back there by that giant swing.
More publicity too.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Attend a gathering. You'll quickly discover how important being extremely close both to the cars and a comfortable place to sit really is. It must also be line-of-sight; otherwise, people quickly break off into smaller groups and end up missing some of the activities.

If you can pull off something better, be my guest.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
john1701a said:
...If you can pull off something better, be my guest.
No no!! You mean if he can pull of something better, you'll be HIS guest! ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey now, I was only asking why there was a coffee shop fetish and John said

"As for needing to be at a coffee shop, where else could we meet where people can free come & go as they please at any time they desire and be guaranteed a comfortable place to sit & talk if the weather gets unfavorable (and during winter)?"

So trying to be helpful, I offered some ideas. I have ZERO intention of planning or hosting said event. I still consider myself a Prius newbie! I just think that these meetings might start to outgrow a coffee shop parking lot.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
So we meet at the coffee shop, followed by dessert at darwood's house. :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
June 18th, a Saturday that I only have my kids until 3pm, sounds like it would be fun to meet you other Prius owners, I am putting it on my calendar. Perhaps someone can teach me to talk "properly" to my voice recognition computer, 'cause it sure doesn't understand me :roll: Hope to see a good turn out there !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, there is a coffee shop, and a grocery store with ample parking right accross the street from me! Maybe next time...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Darwood said:
Well, there is a coffee shop, and a grocery store with ample parking right accross the street from me! Maybe next time...
:) Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Someone please post photos of your Prius lineup

Someone please post photos on this site of your Prius lineup.

A parking lot full of Prius in Georgia and lines of Prius in Paris
are impressive. Although I occasionally see one or two Prius on Interstate 95 in any given week, local sightings are what birders describe as "occasionals" (like when birds get blown out of their ranges by storms).

We all know that thousands of Prius have been sold in almost every US state, but it is rare that I see any other Prius (other than my wife's) here in any given week. I was shocked last week to see another Silver Prius pull up at the local CostCo gas pumps just as I was leaving.

While overall numbers may be increasing, there is no danger here of going to any parking lot and pulling the door handle on the "wrong" Prius.

Happy Owners 2005 Silver Prius, 11K miles
Happy Owners 2005 Driftwood Prius, 3K miles

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I'm planning to be there. Anyone else going?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts