Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car shown below is the UFE-II (Ultra Fuel Efficient), developed by Daihatsu (a sub-brand of Toyota), to act as a showcase for what is achievable with Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive system. Unveiled at last years Tokyo Motorshow, the UFE-II achieved a remarkable 60km/litre on the Japan 10-15 mode drive cycle, which is equivalent to 140mpg (170mpg, UK)!

The drivetrain is a 660cc Atkinson cycle petrol engine mated to two electric motors and a nickel-metal hydride battery – so is likely to be a scaled down version of the system used in the Prius. The body is made of aluminum and resin, such that the entire vehicle weighs only 570 Kg. This is a remarkable achievement in itself, as the UFE-II has been designed to seat 4 adults!

Of particular interest, however, is the aerodynamic coefficient, which at 0.19 is the lowest seen on any road car since general motors EV1. Aircraft designers and aerodynamicists have a saying “If it looks right, it’ll fly right.” To my eyes at least, for a 4-seater car, this has to be as good as it gets! 8)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ok, I'll bite, what do they use instead of side mirrors?

Any hints where they go from here? Are they heading for a production vehicle or just having fun?

When you say "... it'll fly", you mean with the doors open, right :p

Looks pretty neat!

·
Registered
40 Posts
About those side mirrors, one of the Lexus concept cars I saw at the auto show in New York uses side cameras! It then projects the image onto two separate video screens in the cabin. It will be interesting to see if that technology goes mainstream.... As for the car, the 140 mpg is impressive, and I look forward to seeing it in the automotive media in the future. :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Are you sure that Daihatsu is a "brand" of Toyota or a company that Toyota acquired? Scion, Lexus - these I know are Toyota but Daihatsu??

G

·
0 Posts
Mini Prius Safety

As a concept car it looks great though looks to be barely a true 4 seater. Can't help but notice that lines are similar to the Honda Insight and old CRX. At that weight and size would wonder about its crashworthiness. Own a '90 CRX Si (still 40+ MPG highway) and only recently found out how bad it rates in this area (thankfully not by personal experience) Soon to be a Prius owner (getting a TRAC car in March) and was thankful for the safety improvements added over the earlier Prius model years.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, but this does not make Daihatsu a Toyota brand - it is just another company that Toyota has controlling interest in.

Anonymous said:
Last time I looked, Toyota was a majority shareholder (51+%).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts