Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The photo below was taken on Colorado Highway 14 about 20 miles east of the summit of Cameron Pass. This is the beginning of an approximately 50-mile stretch that's simply perfect for mpg junkies: These turned out to be only the first six of 15 consecutive 99.9-mpg bars. The road is only steep for a few miles (we saw eight bars on the energy screen for the first time), after which it follows the Platte River – a fast-flowing western river, with enough of an incline to allow long periods of coasting in quasi-neutral. The curves are plentiful, but few are sharp enough to eat up much momentum. The speed limits are low – 35 to 45 mph – and the fabulous scenery makes observing them a pleasure. (Of course, I couldn't be bothered to take a picture of THAT! :?) The descent is over 5,000 feet from Cameron Pass (10,257 feet) to the low point at Fort Collins.

That's where our tank mpg topped out, at 73.6 after 165 miles. It was 72.2 my wife and I reached her parents' house in Boulder. The net descent from Saratoga, Wyoming, to Boulder was only 1,400 feet; on the entire 212-mile drive, we used less than three gallons of gasoline.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sometimes a "classic" (2001) Prius can reach the same level of excellence. This is what appeared after a closed-loop trip (i.e. no descent on average :wink: ) :

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Wow. I'm at 4.5 with ~480kms on the tank. 4 bars to go!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hyperion said:
Let us know the MPG figures after returning home.
Full report later today, after the cat has been sufficiently petted and I've had some real coffee, which seems to be hard to come by in Wyoming! It will be pretty high - the worst tank showed 53.2 mpg.

Frenchie - thanks for the term "closed-loop"!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hyperion said:
Let us know the MPG figures after returning home.
Entire trip: 1090 miles at 59 mpg screen/58.8 pump. See "Wyoming Road Trip" for excruciating detail as to weather and driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
1000 miles on one tank?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tideland Prius said:
1000 miles on one tank?
No, we filled up three times: 8.6 gallons in Cheyenne, 5.7 in Thermopolis and 5 in Saratoga. The last two were dinky little fills, but there are places in Wyoming where it's a LONG way between towns, and it seemed prudent to put gas in where it was convenient and relatively cheap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my car for about a month and haven't had the chance to go into the mountains yet. Tell me about your experiences going uphill. I plan on going up I-70 out of Denver next weekend.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Oh Mi GoSH !! Now they are taking pin-up pics :eek: of the mileage screen.

I can see it now. "PRI-BOY Magazine". The car mag you buy for the articles...

...but the first thing everyone does is open the centerfold, to lust & drool over the biggest mpg number :shock:

And it will have the Dear PRI-BOY column:

"Dear PRI-BOY, last night I had a dream. My entire life could be led driving downhill. What can I take to make this dream come true." ?? Signed... :p your mpg slave.

(the above is a work of fiction & a joke for the amusement of my P* friends)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Pri-Boy Magazine LOLOL that is rich!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PaulS said:
I have had my car for about a month and haven't had the chance to go into the mountains yet. Tell me about your experiences going uphill. I plan on going up I-70 out of Denver next weekend.
I haven't been on I-70 yet, and Highway 14 isn't comparable. It winds a lot more, Cameron pass has a speed limit of 35 mph on the steepest part of the approach, and most important, it isn't nearly as high as the Eisenhower Tunnel. We had an easy time, with two bars on the energy screen when we reached the summit - and if that consarned polar bear hadn't made me self-conscious, I'd upload the photo showing our 40 mpg on the approach . :)

I-70 is more of a challenge for the car, but other I-70 Prius drivers have reported having no trouble. And you'll love "B" mode on the way down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm really looking forward to seeing what it will do. Last week I had it west of Boulder (Boulder Canyon) but only went a short distance. The speed there is 45mph and less in traffic but the car performed very well. I'll post my impressions of the trip up I-70 next weekend.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i-70

We've been up I-70 last summer. No problems whatsoever in maintaining 65 MPH on the upside.

MPG going up was around 15-20. Got down to 2 bars on the battery. Engine runs faster, a little noisier, but it never seemed to be straining, just purring along.

Going downhill MPG maxed out at 99.9 and the battery would recharge to blue bars (sometimes into the green!) The B mode works great, you hardly have to brake coming down.

We went from Denver to Silver Thorne and back. Averaged 47 MPG for the trip, including a snow squall and 30 degrees F. Most of the time it was 60 F and little wind.

Enjoy your mountain trips, the Prius is more than capable...just ask all the 15 MPG SUVs I've passed going uphill!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for that information - that's really good to hear. A few years ago I drove one of those 13 mpg big SUV's. Now I can't even imagine what I was thinking!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts