Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked-up my Prius about two weeks ago and just got back from an extended road trip (Los Angeles - Las Vegas - San Francisco - Sacrament and back.)

In total, I logged just over 1700 miles and averaged 50 MPG. I'm pretty impressed as there are some pretty steep grades that I had to climb, where I kept my speed at about 65 MPH and on the flat stretches of I15 and the I5 I set the cruise control at 75 MPH.

·
Registered
232 Posts
wow....that's excellent.....

I drive mostly city in So. Calif. hauling the kid around to different sport activities...etc....etc...
I am just finishing up with my 3rd tank-full and my MFD is displaying 46.4mpg avg. I have about 1300 miles on the car. My last tank of gas yeilded 519 miles.
This time........ I plan to drive approx 50miles after I notice the last bar blinking....because the last time I filled up.....when the last bar was blinking .....the tank only registered like 9.5 gallons were needed. Obviously leaves about 2.4 gallons in the bladder that was still available. Although I hear talk that the volume capacity will vary with temperature?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think the safest method is to multiply your average mileage on the tank by 10 if you don't top off and 11 if you top off your tank by a gallon or more after the first click off.
does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Ray Moore said:
I think the safest method is to multiply your average mileage on the tank by 10 if you don't top off and 11 if you top off your tank by a gallon or more after the first click off.
does that make sense?
Safest? Safest, in terms of not running out of gas, is to put gas in it before it starts blinking. Why wait so long? Not like it'll be much LESS expensive if you wait. And even 5 cents a gallon increase/decrease is less than 50 cents for most fillups.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sanny said:
Ray Moore said:
does that make sense?
Safest? Safest, in terms of not running out of gas, is to put gas in it before it starts blinking. Why wait so long? Not like it'll be much LESS expensive if you wait. And even 5 cents a gallon increase/decrease is less than 50 cents for most fillups.
I've gotta agree here. Although I wait for the light to blink, I fuel up immediately. I don't want to push my luck like others have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts