Votes: 0 0.0%
  • greater than 70,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at 35,5000 and considering the extended warranty. I don't want to discuss that here --there are numerous threads-- but I WOULD be interested in how much maintenance (repairs) that 2004 owners have had to do on a 2004.

So: could you check off your mileage in the poll, and in the message describe any repair that you have done (warrantied or otherwise)?

Oh yeah...it would help if you specified the mileage at which repair was done.

Oh yeah II: let's EXCLUDE anything done under TSB's or recalls and assume that we all know about them.

I'll start: replaced center arm rest at 33,500...that's it

Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Prius is at around 18,000 miles and has not had any mechanical issues.

I did require a replacement of the black plastic trim on the outside of passenger door (coming loose) at around 5,000 miles and the fabric cover of the center armrest is coming loose. I will probably have this fixed on my 20,000 mile oil change.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Prius has 44,500 on it and thank God it's been perfect. Just routine maint. and new tires.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
2005 is at 15,000kms.

Repairs:
- changed lower glovebox release button (premature wear)
- had rear bumper reattached twice (bumper clips pushing the right side outwards)
- rear left mudguard misaligned but that hasn't been fixed

That's about it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A little over 20,000, and the only repairs so far have been to replace a destroyed tire (details posted elsewhere,) and an upcoming repair to the hood. Someone apparently backed into poor little Eeyore in a parking lot and of course didn't leave a note. The hood has a small dent just to the left of center, but it's enough to have cracked the paint. The plastic grille is also scraped, but since it's plastic, I'm not going to worry about it. Of course, the repair cost is $10 over my deductible, so I think we'll just eat the whole cost and not have our rates increased.

Other than those, just routine 5,000 mile maintenances.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:?:

No more repairs to report?

·
Registered
78 Posts
kjb516 said:
My Prius is at around 18,000 miles and has not had any mechanical issues.

I did require a replacement of the black plastic trim on the outside of passenger door (coming loose) at around 5,000 miles and the fabric cover of the center armrest is coming loose. I will probably have this fixed on my 20,000 mile oil change.
Similar story for my car at 16,600 miles, except the black trim was on the bottom edge of the rear bumper (spouse backed into something). And a tire blew out around 11,000 miles (probably due to road debris), but VSC saved the day. Otherwise it's just been the routine maintenance every 5000 miles and the TSBs.

The loosening armrest cover is annoying. Does it happen on every '04-'06 Prius or just a few "lucky" ones?

·
Registered
319 Posts
LowCO2 said:
The loosening armrest cover is annoying. Does it happen on every '04-'06 Prius or just a few "lucky" ones?
Mine has started to peel free near the latch. I thought it was strange, given the limited number of times I've opened it. I'm thinking about superglue or something...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Excluding warranty repair, $0 and I have 34,400 mile.
The only thing that went was the MFD with the lock-up problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
35,500 miles. I had the plastic trim piece between the front and rear windows reglued as the front edge was loose. Other than that I've spent 170$ on routine maintainance. 60$ for two air filters, 20$ for one tire rotation, and 90$ for six oil changes.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've just crossed the 25K mile mark on my 2K4 Prius...

The issues so far include:

-Dead inverter caused by faulty seal. A dead Prius while driving is not fun.
-Armrest fabric has disentegrated twice. Third time's the charm maybe?
-Lots of odd fabric wear on the armrest, guess I shouldn't actually rest my arm there.

I think this time next year I'm going to trade it in on something a little nicer. All in all tho, it's a great commuter car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
2004 with 14,500 miles. Only repair was front end alignment as it was off at delivery. No other problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
45,000 miles, 0 repairs

Months owned: 17

Miles used: 45,600

Maintenance performed:
9 Oil & filter changes
7 tire rotations
1 air filter change.

Repairs: 0.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2004 Prius has 30,000 miles on it. One repair at around 25,000: the Multifunction Display LCD went out and took the radio and other things with it. It was replaced.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I bet only one of the replaced items was really bad. Often the dealers don't use logic when fixing things that interact with other things.

For example: Radio stops playing suddenly with a JBL package.
Dealer wants to replace the head unit. Might sound plausible, but there are 3 components that affect sound.
Your sound source is the head unit. Your control is the MFD or the controls on the head unit, or the steering wheel. The sound in general is amplified by the amplifier.
So, can you control your sound sources, even if you can't hear them?
Yes - probably not the head unit. Do you hear beeps when pressing buttons on the MFD? No - bad amplifier confirmed.
But a dealer, not knowing how to diagnose, would replace head unit without success, MFD without success, then the amplifier, finally with success.
It's pretty hard for one of the devices on the AVC to damage the others unless a wire had a dead short to B+.
But its all under warranty so it doesn't matter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts