Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've already discussed in the thread Oh My Aching Warranty. I've recently had a few ... glitches ... with my dashboard instrumentation.

Well, last Monday, I took the car in for the 25,000 mile checkup and mentioned this problem. Like so many auto problems, they were unable to duplicate it, despite the fact that I got it to reset 2 more times on the trip there...

This Saturday, my wife gave me the opportunity to ride in the passenger seat on the way home from her parents. While sitting there, I had a much better view of the area under the dash, near the emergency brake.

Where the dashboard attaches to the vehicle is a small 'notch' with the exposed end of a bolt (see picture below) ... to me this looks like they removed a small plastic cap, and forgot to replace it.

So...today I went back to the dealership. I again reported the dashboard problem and asked that a Prius Certified tech take a look. I also said that it looks like they forgot to put one of the caps back on last week.

Well, again they weren't able to re-create the glitch... The service rep said that the tech told him that "that's the way the cars are made" or some such to indicate that there is no plastic cap to go over that exposed bolt.

I would very much appreciate if you, the Prius community will tell me if I'm wrong, or if the tech is wrong... What does that area of *your* car look like?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have the same thing.. exposed screw. Odd that they'll leave it like that

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, odd that they leave it like that. It's sole purpose is to hold the kick panel on. It's this way on both the driver's and passenger's side. In the photo, you can see the little plastic part of the panel that serves as the friection against the threaded bolt to hold it in place.

To help hide it, could paint it beige...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Same on my car, though I'd never noticed it before--had to go out and check.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, there you go... I guess they win this one :)

Funny, I thought the passenger side was smooth, until I went out and looked close at that.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I had to go look, mine looks like everyone elses;

but I found a hidden dial while I was looking under there, that says, "every quarter turn increases mileage 5mpg, do not exceed 1 and 1/2 turns" :shock:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
melgish said:
As I've already discussed in the thread Oh My Aching Warranty. I've recently had a few ... glitches ... with my dashboard instrumentation.
By the way, did they comment on the mods ? any suggestion they might be involved in your intermittent problem ?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't mention the mods, and they never got things far enough apart to notice them. Despite it being my misbelief on this one, I'm still thoroughly disgusted with the service I've been getting from Toyota of Melbourne.

This makes twice now I've taken the car about the glitch... Each time I asked to speak to the tech to explain the problem. Both times they brought the car back before I spoke with anyone. The first time, I commented "well, i asked to explain the problem to the tech, but I guess he's too important to speak to me" then they called the Non-Prius-Certified tech out.

This time, I didn't bother.

So I'm sort of stuck... After the inital 'foot fault' I've re-created the instrumentation reset 3 more times, by thumping that area of the dash.
So I know there's something not 100% right, but (so far) it's not something that happens under normal conditions... I'm pretty sure I can re-produce it by giving it a real whack while they watch... but I don't want to break anything *else* ...and even then I don't know if that will get them to fix it under warranty either...

At least, at this point it's documented, so I've got a good case if it completely fails at 36,001 miles.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Funny the service rep didn't take you out to another Prius and check the "plug hole" out. Maybe he had none available. I'de try another dealer for info. And tell him about the one who couldn't answer your questions. If I can't get satisfied answer from my local daeler (New Bedford, Ma.) I call the service manager in Fall River and he delights in showing up the boys from New Bedford.
I'm compiling a list now and will try some afternoon to drive up to "Ernie Bochs" dealership in Norwood Ma. for some answers. He advertises as the 2nd largest Toyota dealer in the world and he is including Japan. Doesn't mention where the largest is but it has to be L.A.
When I bought my car in March of last year Boch had a six month list where New Bedfords was three weeks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
hyperion,

I can't remember his name but at IRA Toyota in Milford, there's a service tech who's very knowledgeable if you're looking for answers.

Cheers,

·
Registered
919 Posts
Gee, I turned my dial 1 3/4 turns and nothing happened.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
At the very least, they should reseat the connectors on the driver junction box and the instrumentation junction box.

Remind us again of the details of the problem, or at least a link to the thread giving us the details? What gets reset?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Danman,

The entire dashboard flickered off for a second... The MFD then changed to the Prius logo screen. A second or three later I got the 'Bluetooth connection established' Essentially the same process I see when I first power up the vehicle.

This happend on it's own when I accidentally kicked the (on my car) tan area of the dashboard while fumbling for the emergency break.

I thumped this area with the palm my hand... not using a lot of force, though it's tough to describe exactly how much... and made it happen again. About like slapping the conference room table during a meeting to wake up the sleepers...

While driving it to the dealership the first time I took it in, slapping the (on my car) brown area below the diimer switch caused it to happen twice more.

At the dealership, thumping either place (naturally) failed to reproduce the problem. I've not tried any more since.

To me it's behaving like there's a loose connection on the line that powers the instrumentation. Enough that when it opens, the resulting spark when it closes again micro-welds it in place for awhile...

Since the 'exposed bolt' isn't an indication that they took the dashboard apart, I now believe that they didn't try anything beyond powering up the car to see if the dashboard came on.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, as I said, I'd try thumping the driver J/B where the fuses are. There is also an instrument J/B deeper within the dash. I guess that one is to make the top of the dash easier to remove.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts